It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven MP's leave Labour in Corbyn protest.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
She's such a hypocrite ........

She's is worse than that, she is an actual racist. It's a shame that the media, politicians and general public don't highlight this fact very often, like they do to other people, who don't even say anything racist.

As for the eight Labour MP's who left the party. Of course they are all Remainers; Brexit is what this is mainly about so they are throwing their toys out the pram because Corbyn/Labour are not taking a harder stance on cancelling Brexit.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Momentum.

Momentum who?

Open up Blairite scum or we'll put a brick through your window.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

She's is worse than that, she is an actual racist. It's a shame that the media, politicians and general public don't highlight this fact very often, like they do to other people, who don't even say anything racist.

NOOooo...........

The media keeps telling me only whites can be racist!

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Of course they are all Remainers; Brexit is what this is mainly about so they are throwing their toys out the pram because Corbyn/Labour are not taking a harder stance on cancelling Brexit.

Obviously Corbyn's complete lack of direction and leadership over Brexit has been a major contributory factor, but I don't think you can underestimate the extent of the dismay felt over the blatant anti-Semitism shown in some quarters of the Labour Party.

The Labour Party seems split down the middle.

On the one hand we have the old militant tendency lot who are also clearly pro-Palestine and anti-Israel. Many extend that anti-Israel stance as far as being openly anti-Semitic.

Then we have the old Blairite types and the pro-Israel lobby.

There appears to be Remainers in both camps but the Blairites seem to be almost exclusively in the pro-EU camp.

One thing seems pretty clear to me; neither group seems that bothered about representing the traditional core Labour supporters that everyone appears to have abandoned or take for granted.
Many of those voters are beginning to realise that and it is where those votes go in any future general election that should be of a major concern to all of us.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

In the last election I recall voters up north - you know, who's father, father's father, father's father's father had always voted Labour that because of Corbyn they could not.

In the battle for the heart of Labour they are indeed ignoring and probably antagonising their core vote. Where will that vote go, indeed?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I'm not one to put blind faith in anything but I'm sort of in that category.

My father always voted Labour, still does....he'd rather not vote than vote for anyone other than Labour, something he is contemplating.

I've always more or less voted Labour as they have been the party whose policies have been more in line with mine than any of the other options available.
I've never done it blindly and passionately disagree with some of their policies, always have done.

Who am I going to vote for at the next General Election?

There is a very large section of our society who feel there is no major political party either wanting or willing to represent them and their interests....they are ripe for manipulation and I'm sure extremists and opportunists of all persuasions are priming themselves ready to pounce.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Literally just breaking as I type;

Three Tory MP's have resigned and align themselves with the Independent Group.

Sarah Woolaston, Heidi Allen and Anna Soubry.

More to follow I'd assume.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   
They should rename it to The Sad Remainers Group.
How they can call themselves the Independent Group when they all want to stay subservient to the EU.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
They need to call themselves the remain party.
Might be too honest for this lot though.

Beaten to the punchline there haha.
edit on 37pWed, 20 Feb 2019 05:23:37 -060020192019-02-20T05:23:37-06:00kAmerica/Chicago28000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Because they are acting as a group of individual MP's with no party allegiance free from the dictates of party politics and in line with their own political opinion.

I passionately disagree with their views on the EU but I admire the strength of their convictions and their willingness to stand up for what they believe.

And whether we like it or not, the constituents of nine of these eleven MP's voted to Remain in the EU, so they are acting in accordance with their constituents wishes, surely what we should expect of our elected representatives.....isn't it?

If this heralds either the break up or reform of our party political system then I'm all for it.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Literally just breaking as I type;

Three Tory MP's have resigned and align themselves with the Independent Group.

Sarah Woolaston, Heidi Allen and Anna Soubry.

More to follow I'd assume.

I have heard from a mate who works in Parliament that there might be more floor-crossings today, maybe during PMQs. If so that would be... rather dramatic.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I like Anna Soubry since she appeared on Channel 4's The Last Leg. She had obviously spent her time in the Green Room wisely (as do a lot of their guests, it seems) and she was completely off her ....face.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

That would be one hell of a political statement....and make decent TV viewing!

At worst these resignations can only enforce the widespread view that neither May nor Corbyn are fit to lead this country and that we need reform of the party political system.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Her voting record suggests she has fully supported the Austerity campaign and she's a Remainer.

But she at least seems to have some sort of personality and is someone I'd be able to at least have a drink and a bit of a laugh with, unlike the majority of our politicians.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Prime Minister's Question Time was a bit strange.....quite subdued.

I watched it on Sky News; the attitude and behaviour of the panellists immediately after epitomised just why so many are completely disillusioned with party politics.

I think the 'collusion of silence' between party leaders accusation is pretty accurate.

ETA

Jess Phillips gave a great interview after QT.
She gave a damning indictment of Corbyn's leadership and came across as a genuine individual concerned about her future and the party she so obviously cares enormously about.
edit on 20/2/19 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I can't remember which, but although 3 conservatives have also jumped ship to the Independent Group, one Labour MP has jumped into bed with the Conservatives! Quite a right royal fiasco going on!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

A Labour Councillor has defected from Labour to The Conservatives alleging bullying.
Sorry I can't remember exactly where this occurred.

I think the deselection process is weeding out any opposition to Corbyn at every level.

Tactics resembling Soviet Russia and Mao's China.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I passionately disagree with their views on the EU but I admire the strength of their convictions and their willingness to stand up for what they believe.

And whether we like it or not, the constituents of nine of these eleven MP's voted to Remain in the EU, so they are acting in accordance with their constituents wishes, surely what we should expect of our elected representatives.....isn't it?

Thats all very well and in normal circumstances I would agree with you

But this isnt a normal situation this is a democratic vote (a once in a life

time?) a vote of all the country and in this case I think the peoples will

should come first.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: alldaylong

True. Rats leaving a sinking ship, perhaps?

Next up - Tory MP's leaving?

In first, good call alldaylong

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

At worst these resignations can only enforce the widespread view that neither May nor Corbyn are fit to lead this country and that we need reform of the party political system.

Trouble is we only vote for the parties ...... Its they who chose their

leader!

I cant think of anyone who would make a good leader, any suggestions?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join