It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven MP's leave Labour in Corbyn protest.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

An interesting but depressing read. I have always thought of him as a nasty piece of work. Plotting and scheming and playing very dirty indeed yet always getting others to do his dirty work for him.

We are back to the days of Militant Tendency all over again.

No wonder that some moderate Labour MP's have had enough.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

The more one learns about Corbyn the more he appears to be a thoroughly unsavoury character.
Unfortunately being an unsavoury character hasn't prevented other people from becoming Prime Minister.

I was reading this morning that as well as other Labour MP's possibly joining The Independent Group there are rumours that 6 Conservative MP's may join them.
We'll see.

The only downside to all this that I see is that they all appear to be Remainers.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I would have thought that being a shambolic, clueless, IRA supporting scumbag, scruffy Steptoe lookalike who has no relevance to today's world and politics would probably prevent him being PM.

If, given some monumental quirk of fate he did, I wonder how long it would take for McDonnell to knife him in the back?

If not sooner?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

The only downside to all this that I see is that they all appear to be Remainers.

I have wondered at that too and the only conclusion I can come to is they have

cushy jobs enough money and expenses, so why worry about making decisions

sit back and be order takers and if anything goes wrong well they are not to

blame?

Now the people who voted Brexit want to have the people who make their

decisions for them to be accountable ....... and of course why spoil the easy

life they our elected MP's have succumbed to?why spoil whats working for them.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

"The point is though that Labour remain's the only genuinely democratic party in British politics"

Completely disagree with that. How many Labour MPs who are critical of Corbyn are immediately hounded by other party members on social media and are threatened with deselection? It appears all. That's not very democratic is it?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

a reply to: crayzeed

I would be interested to know how each respective constituency voted in the EU referendum.

If all prospective MP's and local councillors stood as independents and on their own personal manifesto that would negate the need and/or argument for a by-election....and it would consign the unfit for purpose party political system to the history books.

No matter what I do admire their strength of personal conviction....its a rarity in the political world of today.

those figures per constituency are here...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

It is interesting that up to this point no-one at all has chosen to comment on this post, www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is it that even here people are reluctant to really speak on such matters.

I don't really care if people agree or disagree....but I would appreciate other's perspective on this.

You mean the part where you seem to suggest that the Labour party is hostile to Israel and Jewish people to ensure they keep the Muslim vote? Well, they are anti big business to keep the union vote so it's a theory isn't it? I can't say I've seen figures breaking down voting figures per constituency by religion so hard to comment.

I personally think that Corbyn is hostile to all that is Israel his past comments about 'our friends from Hezbollah' are hardly conducive to changing that. From what I've read, many in the momentum Corbyn cult are anti Israel and the argument that they are actually anti zionist comes across as very limp based on the social media attacks on Jewish MPs.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Agreed. With Labour a few local party activists can vote to deselect a sitting MP despite the votes of sometimes tens of thousands of voters. How undemocratic is that?

Support Corbyn or face deselection. Nice.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

edit on 19-2-2019 by uncommitted because: hmmm, something went wrong there

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

a reply to: DoctorBluechip

I'm pleased someone else see's this.
The Imam's have a huge amount of influence in sections of Muslim communities and at present they are firmly behind Labour and their pro-Palestine stance.
This pro-Palestine attitude has seeped into core Labour doctrine and has an obvious manifestation as anti-Semitism.

The Corbynista's could no more disavow that belief than a Tory could disavow capitalism.

The irony of pro-Israel supporters having Remain views has not been lost on me.

Are you so sure Muslims as a whole are pro-Palestine? Just wondering how that view reconciles with the fact that Palestinians aren't generally welcomed with open arms in Egypt.

What is the correlation and irony you see with someone who is anti-anti-semitism voting to remain, presumably you see that as something of a paradox but I can't see why

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

a reply to: eletheia

I was talking to a friend the other night about this....he sounds a thoroughly boring individual.
Not a disqualification in itself for senior positions but do we really want this man representing this country on the world stage....just imagine his small talk.

The more I find out about him the less I have in common....in fact I can't think of one.

And loathe as I am to discus such things with such a lady as yourself the mere thought of him together with Diane Abbot is really quite frightening and really brings his judgemental skills into serious questioning.

I don't like to stoop so low and be crude, but I can remember (and no, before anybody asks, I didn't keep the fricking newspaper) when he was put up to stand for leadership, the talk was he saw Abbot as ticking almost all boxes, female, black and extreme left wing, so more a trophy if anything - shame intelligence wasn't on the list as I find her lack of any kind of intellectual depth when appearing on things such as Question Time quite astounding.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Diane Abbot walks away when questioned about Jewish comments:

Apparently in other news she is upset at how Fiona Bruce apparently treated her on Question Time and had threatened to boycott QT.

No idea why I thought of this but I remember on HIGNFY when Roy Hattersley failed to turn up and was replaced by a tub of lard.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Apparently in other news she is upset at how Fiona Bruce apparently treated her on Question Time and had threatened to boycott QT.

Three cheers for that from at least one viewer!!

She's such a hypocrite ........

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Diane Abbot walks away when questioned about Jewish comments:

No idea why I thought of this but I remember on HIGNFY when Roy Hattersley failed to turn up and was replaced by a tub of lard.

She complained because apparently she was questioned by Fiona Bruce more times than her conservative counterpart on the same show. If you are going to come out with statements such as we will be leaving the EU but staying in the customs union, I'm not sure what she thinks is going to happen though.

I can remember Andrew Neil showing just how incompetent she is when he interviewed her on the show that currently follows QT when she first stood in a leadership challenge... she just crumbled. It's a little frustrating as I want to see more diversity in politics but for me she is definitely not a shining example.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I can remember Andrew Neil showing just how incompetent she is when he interviewed her on the show that currently follows QT when she first stood in a leadership challenge... she just crumbled. It's a little frustrating as I want to see more diversity in politics but for me she is definitely not a shining example.

Personally I am sick to death of this push on diversity everywhere ......

I just want "The best person" for the position..... any position.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: uncommitted

Personally I am sick to death of this push on diversity everywhere ......

I just want "The best person" for the position..... any position.

I certainly wouldn't push it, and I'm a massive believer in meritocracy and blanch at the concept of positive discrimination. Having said that, until quite recently, 'the best person for the position' in politics meant the best white male person.... interesting how the tories have twice bucked that trend and yet it seems a long way off labour doing the same.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The majority in all but two of the members constituencies voted to Remain.
So to be fair it seems that their personal convictions echo those of the majority of their constituents.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

The majority in all but two of the members constituencies voted to Remain.
So to be fair it seems that their personal convictions echo those of the majority of their constituents.

Agreed, but that assumes their leaving Labour is just because they believe Brexit shouldn't take place (ETA, not sure that Labour had a real official stance on this that they held with any conviction one way or another anyway). From their comments not only now, but over at least the last few weeks I think it's a lot more deep rooted than that and is more about how the party has been to a large extent infiltrated by what has turned out to be the cult of Corbyn.
edit on 19-2-2019 by uncommitted because: As per ETA

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   

An eighth Labour MP has resigned from the party and aligned herself with The Independent Group.

Joan Ryan is also a Remainer but also was chair of the Labour Friends of Israel group.

She stated that she doesn't think Corbyn is fit to lead the country - she'll hear no argument from me on that - and she cited;

....its tolerance of a "culture of anti-Jewish racism".

The Enfield North MP said she was "horrified, appalled and angered" by Labour's failure to tackle anti-Semitism, saying its leadership allowed "Jews to be abused with impunity".

www.bbc.co.uk...

According to the article there are still rumours of some Tory MP's joining them in the Independent Group.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   

She stated that she doesn't think Corbyn is fit to lead the country

I think she may have hit the nail on the head. Regardless of Corbyn's wider politics, he does seem to be incapable of addressing anti-Semitism. Labour sure is in a bit of a mess. No talk yet of a leadership challenge, but cannot see Labour surviving as a coherent party with him as the leader.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join