It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials are scared to touch meat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Nyiah

Honestly....

The way I see it is I try to be as sterile as possible, but if some germs sneak somewhere for me later, so be it.

Our immune systems rely on hidden germs.

I love handling meat before a cook, it's intimate, it's art, it's life.

If something gets in me from the process, it's probably for the better.

We do what we can to be clean, as long as it's small amounts of germs, it helps bolster us.

Yeah, like I said, our methods aren't the be all, end all, Nothing is going to be a hermetic environment and whatever gets past the efforts is probably not going to harm us any in the end. Trying not to needlessly spread around a myriad of things is better than an acute illness by way of "Screw sanitation" handling.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I hear ya.

I just do what I can when I can.

I only use antibacterial soap sometimes.

Most of the time I dry my hands with a hand towel that gets washed once a week.

I rarely get sick, and honestly, most of my millennial friends are this way (not to counter your point, just related to OP).

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Honestly....

The way I see it is I try to be as sterile as possible, but if some germs sneak somewhere for me later, so be it.

Our immune systems rely on hidden germs.

If something gets in me from the process, it's probably for the better.

We do what we can to be clean, as long as it's small amounts of germs, it helps bolster us.

I like taking apart lettuce and washing the leaves individually, I like washing meat or scraping the bone scraps off of a steak or roast. I connect with with the food that way and can smell it to see if it smells funny.

When we open a can of food, we smell it and even take a little taste of it to make sure it is not bad, a tiny bit will not get you sick but it is good to make sure that you do not eat a lot of food from a can that has gone bad.

I have a good nose for pesticides, I can smell it on veggies, I grew up on a farm where I rode with my father on the tractor spraying the fields. I can even identify some of the pesticides by smell. I can taste either pesticide or glyphosate in flour, they both give it a sort of bitter like taste. I could not taste it in the old bleached flour but that taste is in most flours other than organic stuff these days. My sense of smell has gotten pretty good since I started taking mineral supplements, probably the zinc that increases my perception.

My wife has some perfume that smells like Raid, she cannot smell it well, it smells like perfume till she puts it in her hair, the chemistry must be combining with either the shampoo chemistry or the oils in her hair. She never did farming or growing things where pesticides are used so she cannot tell it smells just like a pesticide, she has never smelled it straight out of the bottle and when raid is sprayed, she is nowhere to be found so she never smells it. I am not allowed to spray it because she is scared of it yet the chemistries form in her hair. I actually think women do not understand chemistry well, they smell it in the bottle and form an opinion on the smell but cannot comprehend that these things can interact with our body chemistry and smell terrible. This is something I learned over the years, and one thing I am positive of is that you never criticize a woman's choice of perfume. They don't understand chemistry well and get insulted and that leads to retaliation if you mention it. I am sixty three now and will not sugar coat things anymore, I will not tell something they want to hear and reinforce something not true. When I was younger, I lied a lot telling people things that made them feel better. My wife keeps saying I should not say anything, but why not, I do not want to reinforce others delusions, I try to give constructive criticism to everyone, before it was only to guys I knew, I knew it was dangerous to say anything to women.

edit on 17-2-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

This is something I learned over the years, and one thing I am positive of is that you never criticize a woman's choice of perfume. They don't understand chemistry well and get insulted and that leads to retaliation if you mention it. I am sixty three now and will not sugar coat things anymore, I will not tell something they want to hear and reinforce something not true. When I was younger, I lied a lot telling people things that made them feel better. My wife keeps saying I should not say anything, but why not, I do not want to reinforce others delusions, I try to give constructive criticism to everyone, before it was only to guys I knew, I knew it was dangerous to say anything to women.

This is very good 'plain speaking' advice. Telling a woman she smells like toilet water (any French cologne) would be like telling a Bear (any specie) it smells like fish. Why perpetuate the illusion of stink bomb perfection when the reality is a gaping open pit of failed fragrences still being sold to the sad unfortunates willing to pay $50.00 an ounce "Juicy Couture" being the NUMBER ONE offender. Some Glade bathroom fresheners rival this one.
edit on 17-2-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: rickymouse

This is something I learned over the years, and one thing I am positive of is that you never criticize a woman's choice of perfume. They don't understand chemistry well and get insulted and that leads to retaliation if you mention it. I am sixty three now and will not sugar coat things anymore, I will not tell something they want to hear and reinforce something not true. When I was younger, I lied a lot telling people things that made them feel better. My wife keeps saying I should not say anything, but why not, I do not want to reinforce others delusions, I try to give constructive criticism to everyone, before it was only to guys I knew, I knew it was dangerous to say anything to women.

This is very good 'plain speaking' advice. Telling a woman she smells like toilet water (any French cologne) would be like telling a Bear (any specie) it smells like fish. Why perpetuate the illusion of stink bomb perfection when the reality is a gaping open pit of failed fragrences still being sold to the sad unfortunates willing to pay $50.00 an ounce "Juicy Couture" being the NUMBER ONE offender. Some Glade bathroom fresheners rival this one.

I have smelled some of the perfumes that make women smell horrible when they put it on. It actually smells good in the bottle, but stinks when it mixes with their smell. I think that they must touch some on their nose so they smell the pure perfume and can't smell the toilet water smell they really smell like. Their girlfriends are too polite, they will not tell them to their face that it stinks on them, they say it smells great. Then they tell their friends how much that perfume stinks, and it seems like this goes back and forth, they praise the person's choice to their face and then backstab them when they are not around.

I learned it is Best to stay out of things like that, women are ruthless backstabbers pretty often. I have only met a couple of dozen women over my whole life that aren't like that. That is just the way it is, some are worse than others and some guys are also like that, but far less guys are like that than women, guys I know aren't afraid of telling their friends if they are on the wrong path....to their face

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

No, it's death....literally. Ironic that you chose that term.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

When I was in my 20s dating I just assumed if a girl did not like beer she wasn't going to eat meat.

What are we talking about?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Your weak immune system impress me not.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Millennials are scared to touch meat

Ever been in a packing plant or poultry processing facility? The employees all speak Spanish btw.
edit on 18-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I’m a millennial who’s been elbow deep in many a carcass.
Most of us are snowflakes though...
It’s really painful being surrounded by them and not being one.

Let them struggle I say.
Give me a cute snuggly bunny and I’ll make you fine stew!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
whining about millenials again..

I gave up meat a month ago after reading the book How Not To Die.

I weigh what I did in my twenties and i'm fitter than I've ever been. i'm surprised how easy it's been, actually.

my husband, who loves meat especially pork (we literally have half a pig in our freezer) is down with eating less now, too. yay!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I have smelled some of the perfumes that make women smell horrible when they put it on.

Something happened in the last decade to perfumes. The formula has changed and they smell awful.
There were some nice smelling perfumes that had a cult following, they changed and women still wear them even
though they admit the formula has changed.
A lot of them smell like bug spray. Very high end real perfume still smells ok, but they are very very strong.
Also if a person eats a lot of dairy, it comes through their skin and that smell is horrible with just about anything, add any perfume and it is just a horrible mix!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: rickymouse

I have smelled some of the perfumes that make women smell horrible when they put it on.

Something happened in the last decade to perfumes. The formula has changed and they smell awful.
There were some nice smelling perfumes that had a cult following, they changed and women still wear them even
though they admit the formula has changed.
A lot of them smell like bug spray. Very high end real perfume still smells ok, but they are very very strong.
Also if a person eats a lot of dairy, it comes through their skin and that smell is horrible with just about anything, add any perfume and it is just a horrible mix!

Ever smell an alcoholic? Sweet, rancid, death....

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You are right about the dairy, my sweat gets a sort of sour yucky smell when I do anything dairy, including yogurts and cheese. I think it has to do something with excreting the lactic acid. If I eat dairy, I need to take a shower as soon as I wake up the next day, I can't stand that smell. A little cream in my coffee or butter does not do it, usually one yogurt or ice cream or some pudding makes it stink. If you were to put some ketones (perfume) on that, it would just intensify it. The thing is that ketones are found in fats and some spices actually increase the ketones being processed in the body, same with some foods.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

No, it's death....literally. Ironic that you chose that term.

Death for it, life for me.

Caloric intake my friend.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Makes you wonder how many of these same kids don't know what meat actually is, so they would totally buy into AOC's idea that we need to ban cows? After all, milk and beef are things you just get at a grocery store and don't have anything to do with cows, right?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Makes you wonder how many of these same kids don't know what meat actually is, so they would totally buy into AOC's idea that we need to ban cows? After all, milk and beef are things you just get at a grocery store and don't have anything to do with cows, right?

It makes it a lot easier to feed them lab grown meat, that's for sure.
Very few people actually have an in depth knowledge of how food is made, and where food comes from.

The weird thing is I am in Wisconsin and there are a lot of farmers and hunters. I have never seen people with such a limited diet. It is seriously like dairy, pork, beer, cheese. My kids friends would come over and taste some things I've made and go crazy because they have never tasted different types of foods. It is really sad.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I don't mind handling raw meat, but this doesn't seem like the worst idea to me.

Even at its most basic it could cut down on dishes that need to be cleaned.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

It's about what's available. There are some cultures that have a limited diet because of the limited growing season.

Although I suspect in this case it's more about people who just don't cook anymore. With less cooking, the diet gets winnowed down until the repertoire is very limited.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

The only thing I don't like about handling meat is picking it out of the case. It seems like there is always one package that's leaking.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join