It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials are scared to touch meat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
a reply to: JAGStorm

Seems like just another example of darwin being robbed of his just rewards.
I'm sure their fears are actually legitimate, their parents taught them nothing(while somehow shielding them from everything).

If Darwin believed his theory he should be forced to watch his "I alone thought this into reality" (and look; its working; the fools actually believe this). I am thinking (leftists) that if we totally get rid of Co2 emissions/carbon what are the TREES GOING TO EAT instead? Their biological process: Co2 consumption=oxygen emissions (flatuance). No Co2 NO TREES NO OXYGEN.
edit on 17-2-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

If we as a group, agree to stop growing vegetables and cooking meat for these people, eventually they will all just starve.

Only the strong should survive.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I've never minded touching or handling raw..
Or dressing small game, or a deer.
I was just used to it, it was a family thing.
But I did always hate the smell, at least of the mammals.
It smells like death, the only way to describe it, my reaction to it.
Even at the grocery stores, the red-meat section smells like death to me.
Which technically it is..It's dead things sliced into small pieces!

Poultry not so much. Not much of an aroma that bothers me.
Fish smells the same dead or alive to me, fishy.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Oh give me a break, you bunch of low-hanging fruit whine-asses. Talk about complete does-not-impact-you first world bitching.

It's a visceral reaction and not tied to generation, for F's sake. My late grandmother refused to ever handle raw meat because the smell and sensation of it literally made her vomit. IF she bothered to cook meat herself at all, it was full of fork holes because come hell or high water, her hands were not gonna make contact, period. Want to try calling an 80+ year old a "sissy" now?

Come to think of it, even my best friend growing up's backwater redneck Florida mama never touched any raw meat and did the same forked to death maneuver to transfer it from container to cooking surface. Lady's in her late 60's, folks.
edit on 2/17/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
It smells like death, the only way to describe it, my reaction to it.
Even at the grocery stores, the red-meat section smells like death to me.
Which technically it is..It's dead things sliced into small pieces!

That's how my husband quantified it chatting with our butcher, who agreed. People have no clue how many professional butchers end up vegetarian because of the unending scent of Death they work with.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

If we as a group, agree to stop growing vegetables and cooking meat for these people, eventually they will all just starve.

Only the strong should survive.

Great idea, kill all babies because they are the weakest!

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Oh give me a break, you bunch of low-hanging fruit whine-asses. Talk about complete does-not-impact-you first world bitching.

If a meat producer is specifically making a package for people not to touch meat, i'm pretty sure that says a lot about a certain generation. It says they are catering to a large portion of the population.

It does not mean that old people, or weird people you knew didn't also have that same issue.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

the red-meat section smells like death to me.

Ok, I am offended by a lot of weird smells, but a nice super raw piece of steak smells awesome/ mouth watering to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

If a meat producer is specifically making a package for people not to touch meat, i'm pretty sure that says a lot about a certain generation. It says they are catering to a large portion of the population.

It does not mean that old people, or weird people you knew didn't also have that same issue.

I wear disposable gloves myself when I handle raw meat so as to not cross-contaminate throughout the kitchen during meal prepping. Prep the meat, toss gloves when done, move on to the next part of the meal. Easy-peasy.
Frankly, no-touch packaging is mildly appealing to me in terms of limiting bacterial spreading, but not enough for me to buy it. If others want to shell out extra for the packaging, who cares?

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

a reply to: spacedoubt

the red-meat section smells like death to me.

Ok, I am offended by a lot of weird smells, but a nice super raw piece of steak smells awesome/ mouth watering to me.

I'm sure it's based on memory, or situations where I first smelled it strongly, when dressing and butchering a deer. Smell/memory are so closely linked.
I don't mind the smell of it being grilled, but raw smells like a dead bleeding corpse to me.

I completely understand the butcher situation that Nyiah brought up in the thread.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I wear disposable gloves myself when I handle raw meat so as to not cross-contaminate throughout the kitchen during meal prepping. Prep the meat, toss gloves when done, move on to the next part of the meal. Easy-peasy.
Frankly, no-touch packaging is mildly appealing to me in terms of limiting bacterial spreading, but not enough for me to buy it. If others want to shell out extra for the packaging, who cares?

Wearing gloves can actually spread more bacteria around.

www.foodbeast.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Wearing gloves can actually spread more bacteria around.

www.foodbeast.com...

Yeah, if you're touching other things, too. The gloves stay on until the meat is ready for seasoning, and then one glove comes off to handle those containers bare-handed and ONLY those containers. It never makes contact with the meat, the remaining gloved hand does that work. People cross-contaminate with gloves so easily because they don't think & learn to work one-handed (let alone learn to remove a glove with minimal skin contact)

It's not the be all, end all for preventing contamination, but it's a damn good mitigation method at home when done competently.

Edit: Normally, I have kid help in the kitchen anyway to apply the herbs and spices to meat anyway, my juggling of containers & raw carcass isn't as high as it is for other people. But I do what I can to reduce bacteria spread regardless.

Pro-tip from my former sous-chef husband -- take off the gloves slowly so they turn inside out, and never snap them. Snapping increases odds of sending stuff airborne. Drying them with a paper towel a bit first helps if they're wet/slimy, too.

Second edit: This goes without saying, but people are inherently stupid in general, so I'll say the obvious -- you better be washing your hands after you take off the gloves. Your skin under the gloves still have bacteria on them that were just in a nice, barrier-protected warm environment. WASH before you go on to the next thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

lol.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
No, it's gross.

I'm a battle-hardened tough guy who ran with rappers and JBM in the city, and pounded 90% of clowns who deserved it.

A confirmed ethicist and bouncer by trade, yeah and a 25 year vegetarian.

Meat, in the form of half-rotted and cut-up dead animals, at the grocer is disgusting.

Not only do I not want to eat it, I don't want to touch it.

Always contradicting myself, I prepare a split chicken breast for my dogs on the BBQ every day. I do it out of love.

Not caring what people think, I live the best way I can...in an imperfect world.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I believe this Jagstorm. Both of my daughters handle the meat like it is dog poop. I have no problem with handling meat, I stick my hand right into the chicken and gouge out the kidneys and pull out anything inside. My daughters won't even cut a chicken up, they buy the pieces already cut up. Often that meat is more contaminated than a whole chicken with bacteria.

Society is fear mongering people to be afraid of touching meat so they buy more processed meats which creates more jobs. I understand what they are trying to do. My daughters won't even eat the lettuce I was growing here, they think what they get in the stores, full of chemicals, is better than organic natural homegrown lettuce. My Romaine all went to waste, my daughter prefers to get it from a store where even the organic is treated to make it last way longer than it should. If you pick my romaine, it wilts within a few days, organic does not mean it is safe, only that it uses natural chemistry to extend the shelflife, chemistry that we should not actually be eating.

I like the new trend, uncured bacon and meats, no nitrites added. Instead they use fermented cellery, which basically turns into nitrites but is natural I guess. The thing is the potency is not consistant, there could be way too much nitrites in the food or not enough. Since the FDA does not regulate this, usually more fermented celery is added than less for liability reasons. There is usually way more nitrites in uncured bacon utilizing this chemistry than in the commercial stuff. But in commercial foods, either citric acid or sodium erithrobate is added which causes meat nitrates to turn into nitrites. A way around the laws governing the nitrite content, added nitrites. But citric acid does this in uncured meats too. so does vitamin C.

A little knowledge is dangerous, a lot of knowledge just makes you need to learn more if you are curious.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
lol whatever.

I'm a 1000 years old in the shade and a salty old Gen X'er.
I've never been able to stomach raw meat.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Perhaps because touching a bacteria infested, rotting animal carcass is disgusting?

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

A little knowledge is dangerous, a lot of knowledge just makes you need to learn more if you are curious.

Like teaching a pacified 30 year old child what a firearm is and how to defend against the properties of war phenom: "Man the battlements, we are being invaded by those that seek to enslave or kill us"!

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote

Perhaps because touching a bacteria infested, rotting animal carcass is disgusting?

I wouldnt exactly say YOU are rotting but you have JUST as much bacteria inside of your organs (thriving/conniving) and crawling upon your skin as any ripened road kill. Your bacteria (as is mine and others) is attempting to turn us into a tasty cheese product while we are still alive.
edit on 17-2-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Honestly....

The way I see it is I try to be as sterile as possible, but if some germs sneak somewhere for me later, so be it.

Our immune systems rely on hidden germs.

I love handling meat before a cook, it's intimate, it's art, it's life.

If something gets in me from the process, it's probably for the better.

We do what we can to be clean, as long as it's small amounts of germs, it helps bolster us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join