It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What preparations are being made for a no-deal Brexit ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese
One thing we never made clear was what Brexit meant.

Oh, I don't know. The same can be applied to the argument to remain - it's not clear what continued membership of the EU meant, except the gradual erosion of the nation state - although not advertised as such. Studies show the leavers were chasing issues of sovereignty, so that's what Brexit meant to many.

Nice whataboutism.

We're leaving, so whatever Remain meant is academic.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhyDidIJoin
a reply to: DoctorBluechip
Short answer: who gives a crap, London is the economic powerhouse of the world. Bow down beatchessszzz

Do keep up

EDIT: just realised that's paywalled.

In short, Barclays are taking £166billion out of the British economy and sending it to the Eurozone. It's all been cleared with the Treasury.

One hundred and sixty six. Billion. Pounds.

Gone.

Just like that.

Ernst and Young estimate that as much as £800 billion will leave from the banking sector as a whole.

Eight hundred billion quid. More than a trillion dollars.

More than the combined value of all the property in Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Reading, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Glasgow, which is around £750 billion.

All going from the UK banking sector alone to the Eurozone.

Maybe all those senior bank executives - and Jacob Rees Mogg - should read op eds on the internet about how the Euro is a failed experiment.
edit on 2-2-2019 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
a reply to: WhyDidIJoin

If that was the case we'd be the wealthiest nation per-capita and Brexit wouldn't be a problem because the whole world would want to trade with us, the British Empire died a long time ago my friend...

Don't get me started on the subject of post-War British decline. I got things to do.

Short version: since 1945, Britain has been a state of economic, political and cultural decline. Every now and again there is a brief positive burst but the trend is consistently downward. More than anything, the cause is complacency, an inability or unwillingness to accept what is really happening, from the Sterling Crisis of 1947 to Brexit.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

I'm actually really worried about the $hitstorm coming our way. I'm as skint as one can be without being completely on my arse and I can't afford to take any hits...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Point of fact:

France's GDP is now larger than ours in absolute and per capita terms because our economy has taken a kicking over the last couple of years.

Actually France and the UK are neck and neck, its swings and roundabouts.

But if we are sharp off the blocks there are NEW markets out there and as

it takes the cumbersome EU between 7/10 years to make deals the UK can

be a lean mean machine

The measure of GDP is not a good representation of how much economies produce; economists and international organisations prefer to compare economies at an exchange rate based on what money in each country can buy.

On such a basis, known as purchasing power parity, or PPP, the UK again comes out slightly ahead, by 2.5 per cent,
but both Britain and France are overtaken by India, Russia, Indonesia and Brazil, putting them in ninth and tenth places respectively.

So if the EU cant make a deal with us we can start with the faster growing

economies ...... I think i read somewhere that there are more millioniares

in Mumbai (India) than anywhere else.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

We will have 164 Most Favoured Trading partners...

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

be a lean mean machine

Look around you. What are the chances we will be quick off the blocks?

More importantly, what will those nations want from us? What do we have to offer?

We already have access to a lot of markets through the EU. At the beginning of April, we won't. We'll have to negotiate with each of them individually. Again, what do we have to offer? What will they want in return? Does anyone really believe we can get a more advantageous deal with less to offer in terms of goods, services and markets?

Even more importantly, who was telling us about these sunny uplands of the future? Why, the same people who stand to make a killing out of Brexit!

Note the past tense. They seem to have gone quiet on the subject.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

For example, many of people who convinced us to leave the EU have feathered their nests quite nicely. Most have made arrangements to cover their backs eg Nigel Lawson getting French residency, Jacob Rees-Mogg's hedge fund setting up in Dublin. Some have made a bit of cash by betting against the British economy eg John Redwood and Nigel Farage.

Did someone convince you to remain??

Nobody convinced me to vote leave, I wanted to leave I researched. And was

in the UK before it was coerced into the EU so that was a head start.

Far too big a situation to leave to chance.

The EU made it clear from day one - the basic principles of the EU are not up for negotiation. What have we made clear since day one? Erm. Um.

The EU can keep their principles.

What the leavers made clear is they are LEAVING and most would be happy

to leave without a deal. No leaver I know of wants any part of the EU!!!

One thing we never made clear was what Brexit meant. Back in 2016, we were told how good a Norway model was. Today, the same people are telling us that the Norway model would be almost treason.

Brexit was a term coined up by the media ..... as they do '
' it means EXIT/LEAVE

Every suggested model has one fault ..... A tie in a connection to the EU or ECJ

and the LEAVE vote wants none of that.

Because the government is hamstrung by austerity, we are going to hurt badly when the EU takes its grants away. London alone will lose £500 million in support to charities and public bodies. Outside London, where the EU funds much more infrastructure, the loss will be greater. Does anyone really think the carpetbaggers behind Brexit give a toss about the North East?

We will have in the region of 9 billion a year to spend on UK projects.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I'm actually really worried about the $hitstorm coming our way. I'm as skint as one can be without being completely on my arse and I can't afford to take any hits...

Well you for one should be glad to leave because if you are like ^^^that^^^

while we have been in the EU.

So in *Tonys* words "Things can only get better"?
'

When you're down theres only one way and thats UP!

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   

My thoughts exactly! The EU is nothing but one giant protection racket.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

You seem to have misunderstood what I was saying.

Let me make it clearer: the people pushing hardest for no deal are treating us like idiots. They will make a lot of money out of a no deal that was never really made clear while the rest of us pick up the pieces. They are trying to frame the situation on an emotive level so we do not question them.

Are you OK with that?

As for the extra nine billion pounds, that's peanuts. The 2012 Olympics cost nine billion quid. The HS2 rail project is going to cost about £56 billion. As I mentioned above, the banking sector alone is going to take £800 billion out of the economy and pump it into the Eurozone instead. That's ninety times more than we might gain.

Oh, and does that nine billion pounds factor in the £248 billion the Bank of England bunged at the City to calm its nerves the day after the referendum?

But let's assume all will be well, the British economy is on an even keel, the economic disruption is short and painless - what makes you think London is going to spend that nine billion quid on the regions? Why do you think the regions, heck even parts of London, depended on hand outs from the European Social Fund even when our economy was booming?

At a tangent, we were originally told we would save £350 million a week. That's over £18 billion a year. Another discrepancy to question, eh?
edit on 3-2-2019 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: Grammar (shame on me)

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   
If the Brits stop wasting food NOW, there won't be any shortages after Brexit, as it is, not all food arrives from the eu, some of it arrives from Egypt, a non eu country !

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

be a lean mean machine

Look around you. What are the chances we will be quick off the blocks?

More importantly, what will those nations want from us? What do we have to offer?

We already have access to a lot of markets through the EU. At the beginning of April, we won't. We'll have to negotiate with each of them individually. Again, what do we have to offer? What will they want in return? Does anyone really believe we can get a more advantageous deal with less to offer in terms of goods, services and markets?

Even more importantly, who was telling us about these sunny uplands of the future? Why, the same people who stand to make a killing out of Brexit!

Note the past tense. They seem to have gone quiet on the subject.

See, this is my problem with it all, all the Brexiteers are listening to stuff from those who are sitting pretty to profit from Brexit. These people don't really live in the same world we do.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Well you for one should be glad to leave because if you are like ^^^that^^^

while we have been in the EU.

So in *Tonys* words "Things can only get better"?
'

When you're down theres only one way and thats UP!

That's easy for you to say. And I'm not quite at the bottom yet, that's coming if there's no deal, universal credit here I come. Then you can take satisfaction in being right about me being at the bottom.

We're all going to be worse off. Have you seen how much money the banks will strip from the UK economy?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I just think it’s funny when I hear people saying no deal will be fine.....but the military are on standby and we are stalk piling supplies ohhh and not ask about the boarder and just keep those figures all crossed and the economy will be just dandy

As before, it's seemingly mostly retired boomers, and the unemployed screeching about needing a no deal brexit.

And the OP's suggestion that remainers are ignorant genuinely made me laugh out loud.

The pound is the weakest it's been in years, and we're a service economy.

Let the 70s go, people. It was a different time (and a grim one).

I noticed Nissan have gone back on their plans in Sunderland too. Saw that coming. Ironic that they voted out and many of them will now lose their jobs as a result.

*slow clap*

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
I’m a staunch Brexiteer and proud.

Happy to debate my position but only facts and evidence will be allowed!

Now I know you aren't Boris Johnson or Jacob Reese Mogg or any of the others that spread the BS, or are you ok with that?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Cassi3l

Would you rather we pander to fear mongers ?

Our economy has been doing well since the referendum regardless of what was warned by the same Euro supporting Doom mongers.

You never had it so good
before March the 29th

Or we're getting out while the goings good.

Italy in recession amid sluggish eurozone
Italy has the biggest government debt in the EU at more than €2.3 trillion ($2.6tn; £2tn). It is also the fourth-largest government debt in the world.

The country's debt burden as a percentage of annual economic activity is second only to Greece in the EU at 132%.

Last week, European Central Bank (ECB) president Mario Draghi said eurozone economic data had been weaker than expected and the risks to growth had increased.

Claus Vistesen, chief eurozone economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, said that the overall eurozone figures "don't look pretty, but have been well telegraphed by the hard data and the financial market horror show in Q4".
www.bbc.co.uk...

Time to put the "Great" back into Britain.

The countries you use as examples are members of the Eurozone, we aren't. The economic issues in Greece have been laid at their entry to the Eurozone, not the EU, your own post states that. To anyone being objective your actual use of those countries and their current economy as a result of EU membership is akin to the crap Johnson and co came out with, but fill your boots, two years on and ' passionate Brexiteers' still feel the need to justify their position with any old nonsense assuming other people are too stupid to question it.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

The economies of both Germany and France are slowing along with a other member nations , I didn't say the situation in Greece was caused by the EU , they bent the finance rules to let Greece enter now they and Greece are paying the price.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I didn't say the situation in Greece was caused by the EU , they bent the finance rules to let Greece enter now they and Greece are paying the price.

Greece and other southern European nations who joined the Eurozone have paid the price for joining a currency run by the Germans. It is no surprise that the Germans have grown richer and the Greeks, Spanish, Italians and others have gone poorer. Wealth in the EU has been redistributed to the wealthy!

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

But let's assume all will be well, the British economy is on an even keel, the economic disruption is short and painless - what makes you think London is going to spend that nine billion quid on the regions? Why do you think the regions, heck even parts of London, depended on hand outs from the European Social Fund even when our economy was booming?

Precisely ...... We will keep the total amount that were contributions, instead

of handing over all of our salaries/earnings and receiving back a token amount

and then...... being told exactly where it is to be spent.
that is controlling.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join