It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 71
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: UKTruth
Another defeat for Remoaners.
Amendment from Corbyn to extend time for Parliament to find a different solution - denied.

We are left with a sensible motion to extend Article 50 only until June 30 and a one off extension.

Pretty sure that the amendment to the motion to extend until the end of June was defeated earlier on, I could be wrong the whole thing is quite confusing.

also I dont really see how its a good thing that parliament has voted against extending the time for parliament to find a solution to the Brexit crisis.

No, we have only voted on amendments so far to the main motion to extend to June 30th. All amendments, 2nd votes, more power for Parliament over the govtm, etc., were defeated and the short term one off extension for the Govt to continue Brexit negotiations is now the motion.

edit on 14/3/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The government is still trying to get May's deal passed. She wants another vote on it. If it fails then there will be follow up amendments to extend, or have a referendum, etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

ahh fair enough, my mistake.
edit on 14-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The government is still trying to get May's deal passed. She wants another vote on it. If it fails then there will be follow up amendments to extend, or have a referendum, etc.

I think the defeats of the Remoaners today has pretty much left it as deal or no deal.
It may help focus the EU on giving some more concessions to May to get her deal passed.

This latest motion is sure to pass, but if it doesn't it probably means a no deal brexit (which is the standing law) on the 29th March.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Resistance is Futile . all hope lost.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I think you are right on this. Farage has even gone so far at to appeal to EU governments to veto an extension request. There are diverse interests who would be content with May's deal or a crash out. That is part of the reason for May to finesse the situation down to the very end.

At some point someone is going to say eff the Irish border and eff the backstop, let's get out of the EU and muddle onward.
edit on 14-3-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

link   
ohhh well that was a simple pass.

Kind of embarrassing actually after two years of negotiations all we are left with is our PM running back to Brussels with her tail between her legs to beg for a little bit more time.

Embarrassment..

link   
Passed - The EU will be asked for an extension until 30th June.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Now what will their conditions be to extending the negotiation period.
edit on 14-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

There are diverse interests who would be content with May's deal or a crash out.

Did we "crash" in when we joined ?
Why does leaving the EU equal crashing out other than that being the desire of our "partners" in the Union.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Why don't just leave on the 29th, hold a referendum to rejoin on the 30th, that way the brexiteers got their wish and the remainers get a chance to rejoin.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Excellent point that the BBC very quickly cut away from.. more than half the house voted AGAINST a second vote and therefore the matter should be closed.
Lol, the BBC couldn't cut away quickly enough.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It is just a term they are using for a "no deal" Brexit. Some people think that the process would be rough and disruptive like a crash.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What a disgraceful pile of crock. I voted leave and haven't bought in to the nonsense being peddled regards a second referendum. If the nation had voted to stay in the EU would those of us who voted leave be deserving of another referendum. This situation was always on the cards, can kicking and fear ratcheting to persuade leavers to change their minds.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Now what will their conditions be to extending the negotiation period.

We'll see - rumour has it that they will be seeking a 4 year extension, LOL.
I can see a no deal Brexit - the very best outcome for Britain - being more of a reality if the EU try and lock us in for 4 years.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

My understanding is that Labour were "whipped" to vote against it or abstain. They have said that they would back a second referendum down the road if necessary.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

If the nation had voted to stay in the EU would those of us who voted leave be deserving of another referendum. This situation was always on the cards, can kicking and fear ratcheting to persuade leavers to change their minds.

Of course you would not be getting a 2nd vote - moreover, any call for a 3rd vote if we had a 2nd one that went Remoaners way would be belittled and totally denied by the same people crying daily for a 2nd vote now. I already see their traitorous campaign labelling their calls for a 2nd Referedum as giving the people the 'final' say. These people are utterly disgusting.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

I'd say it's a term used by those who want to remain in the Union and can't accept the democratic decision of the people of the UK , the term is used to instill fear.

I no longer see any chance of a meaningful Brexit , Remainers have shot our Fox.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

My understanding is that Labour were "whipped" to vote against it or abstain. They have said that they would back a second referendum down the road if necessary.

18 of them, about 40% of those who did vote, voted AGAINST a 2nd referendum.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

If the nation had voted to stay in the EU would those of us who voted leave be deserving of another referendum.

What do you think? Would Brexiters deserve another referendum if the results of the last had bee exactly reversed? I have no doubt that there would be calls for it.

A more decisive victory one way or the other would be different . . . maybe.

new topics

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join