It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#TheBestMenCanBe #Gillette

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
We Believe: The Best Men Can Be | Gillette (Short Film)
1:48

New Gillette ad condemning toxic masculinity

It seems kind of unbelievable Gillette would put this ad out trashing the only customers the company has - men.
It looks like it was written by a feminist.
So far it has been massively down voted and negative comments are brutal. They can't delete them fast enough.

sample

_ Drake
24 minutes ago
I approve of this ad.

Unfortunately due to all the soy I drink I'm unable to grow a beard and have no use for your product.

Is this a step forward or a marketing disaster?
edit on 15-1-2019 by toms54 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
get woke, go broke.

what irritates me the most about this stupidity is that it pains the picture that the MAJORITY of men harass or demean women, as if having a penis automatically puts me into the bad guy category.
they should have given the opposite prospective, coddling their user base, i'm too lazy to come up with the details but think something like "we are awesome men that use gilette, but you know what, there is something more we can do to be more awesome, stand up for the victims, the oppressed, because even with our help, its YOU that can make all the difference"

Some such crap to put the people on your side, not this guilt trip nonsense written by a delusional feminist or some out of touch old people.

And, let's not forget the core thing here: you guys make tiny blades to help people not look like cavemen, you ain't saving no worlds

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. And now that I've seen it, I really don't understand why it's been described as "anti-White male" by some.

To the extent that the commercial is getting backlash for basically just encouraging men to be good examples and not bully and abuse others -- it seems to be a no-brainer -- this backlash can and will create its own backlash.... as in men mocking and ridiculing the idea that they should be respectful and courteous to others.

Of course, I would likewise like to see one directed at girls -- the "mean girls" type. They are just as big of bullies as any boys/men.

So I really don't understand the outright anger and hostility. Yeah, maybe because I'm a woman. What am I missing? Is it the message itself or how the message is expressed?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Its a marketing desaster to their direct marketing target.

Nevertheless, the highest percentage of "agitated" people were on sites known for their incel-kind of patronage.
Don't be like that.

Just let it slip away. It is a stupid kind of marketing.
But it worked.
You spoke of GILLETTE. I wrote that name. Something I have never done before in my live. You fell for it, and I fell for it.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Did I just see Gillette use Ana Kasparian in a men's razor commercial?

Another 'get woke go broke' campaign. SMH

The comments give me a little hope in humanity.

ilya zhorov

My wife's boyfriend loves this ad!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

what irritates me the most about this stupidity is that it pains the picture that the MAJORITY of men harass or demean women, as if having a penis automatically puts me into the bad guy category.

I just watched the video again with your comment in mind... and I didn't hear that. What I heard is that SOME men/boys bully and SOME men/boys stand up to the bullying but that MOST men do not and that MORE men/boys should stand up to the bullying. To not laugh it off or simply dismiss it as "boys will be boys."

If you look at it in that sense, how does that compare to your real life experience? Is that accurate?

Or are you thinking that the commercial paints "acceptable" behavior as "bad" behavior?

Or something else? What am I missing?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
3 words.....

Dollar shave club.......

Gilelletes razors were already stupid over priced as it is, now they are targeting their biggest base, with this progressive, post modernist crap, ham handedly trying to attack masculinity as if all males are somehow responsible for the asshat out there.....

Glad I stopped using their products ages ago

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

men/boys stand up to the bullying but that MOST men do not

And that alone is complete BS...... And a gross assumption

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I just watched the video again with your comment in mind... and I didn't hear that. What I heard is that SOME men/boys bully and SOME men/boys stand up to the bullying but that MOST men do not and that MORE men/boys should stand up to the bullying. To not laugh it off or simply dismiss it as "boys will be boys."

If you look at it in that sense, how does that compare to your real life experience? Is that accurate?

Or are you thinking that the commercial paints "acceptable" behavior as "bad" behavior?

Or something else? What am I missing?

You are missing the context. This was obviously a snub at anyone who voted for Trump. Somewhere in the overly long commercial, it has definite SJW heroes shown as "good men". It is definitely NOT just an anti-bullying message even though it claims to be. It is a political statement directed and produced by obvious SJW type human beings and it is meant to trigger normal red blooded American men.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I guess to understand, you really need to read the comments on YouTube.

They seem to fall into 2 groups. One thinks they are trying to shame their customers

The Saint
19 minutes ago
Hey Gillette, perhaps don't make an advert that calls your target audience evil.

The other thinks Gillette should concentrate on making razor blades and stay out of politics.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I liked this comment:

"So just to clarify, the company (Procter and Gamble, Gillette's owner) pumping out this garbage:

- tests products on live animals
- exploits child labour (male and female) in developing countries
- sold toxic tampons to women (it's OK to kill them, just don't ask them out...)
- abused the female environmentalist who tried to expose them dumping toxic chemicals into a river
- kept working with Burma even as they actively suppressed democracy (including the then female democratically elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest)
- pollutes the environment with endocrine disruptors and dioxins
- uses palm oil (destroying the environment through deforestation and destruction of animal habitats)
- has released products to market prior to obtaining FDA approvals; and
- sold/sells cancer causing shampoos without appropriate labelling

The question better asked is this: Is Procter and Gamble really the best a man (or woman) can get?"

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

The biggest reason they are popular is that it's easy to find blades compared to the other brands.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Come to think of it, Gillette has had a lot of weird ads. Maybe they are just trying to grab attention. Check out this one for Gillette Clear Gel

Oddly Satisfying Video | Gillette Clear Gel
0:45

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

And that alone is complete BS...... And a gross assumption...

That's fair. And true to my real life experience. We all know jerks, but for the absolute greatest part, the men I know are great guys who don't engage in "toxic masculinity" and don't stand idly by when they see it.

Do you have any ideas on how it could have been done better?

For example, it seems to me that some industries -- I'm looking at Hollywood in particular -- seem to have a much greater problem than others, so I think it would have been more effective if more specific examples had been used. As opposed to addressing men in general, which I can see how that does paint all men as "toxic."

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. And now that I've seen it, I really don't understand why it's been described as "anti-White male" by some.

To the extent that the commercial is getting backlash for basically just encouraging men to be good examples and not bully and abuse others -- it seems to be a no-brainer -- this backlash can and will create its own backlash.... as in men mocking and ridiculing the idea that they should be respectful and courteous to others.

Of course, I would likewise like to see one directed at girls -- the "mean girls" type. They are just as big of bullies as any boys/men.

So I really don't understand the outright anger and hostility. Yeah, maybe because I'm a woman. What am I missing? Is it the message itself or how the message is expressed?

What are you missing? Hmmm, let's see.
As a white male I can point out a few issues I have with this commercial.

Why is it implying that bullying is a male only issue?
Why were there no women in the commercial? They do shave legs and pits.
Why does it only point out male sexual harassment?
Why did it have to be a woman comforting the bullied boy?

And since I have a teenage daughter, why the hell do they suggest that she is so damn weak that men need to protect her?

I do wonder how you didn't notice anything that would be considered offensive.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

You are missing the context. This was obviously a snub at anyone who voted for Trump.

Well, you're right... I totally missed that. But I'm not stuck in a partisan echo chamber also hearing dog whistles. I don't think in those terms, so I didn't see it. However, I can also see where people from both sides would see what they know.

At what point does the reaction have more to do with the person responding as opposed to what the commercial is saying?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   

The reason the ad is getting the reaction it is isn't because it's telling men that we need to be helpful, not fight, not bully, don't sexually harass women etc. is because it literally starts out by accusing all men (majority of men if I'm being nice) are those things. The idea that saying Boys will be Boys is a horrible phrase, that you can't be a man and be masculine because you cant be (insert otherism).

If the advert would've been about women and pointed to bad things that women do: The number of women drinking heavily is up, women refusing to allow fathers certain rights, women claiming falsely accusing men of harassment, women who leave their children, women who groom young boys and get little jail time compared to men etc. etc. there would be cries and feet stamping from women.

I used to scoff at the idea of their being a war on men but after the last few days including the one that came out from America a few days ago that said that being masculine is harmful, that there is a war against men.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

I guess to understand, you really need to read the comments on YouTube.

Yes -- thank you! -- starting with Gillette's own description:

Bullying. Harassment. Is this the best a man can get? It's only by challenging ourselves to do more, that we can get closer to our best. To say the right thing, to act the right way. We are taking action at www.thebestmencanbe.org.... Join us.

That does lump all men as less than their best, if nothing else, and seems to have quite the air of superiority, as in "But WE'RE better than you..."

Many of the comments seem unnecessarily defensive, but I like how many are pointing out the hypocrisy of only calling out men/boys. Gillette does make razors for women too. No reason they can't call women/girls out as well.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

the video says at some point towards the end "some are doing their part, but some is not enough"
And in my (granted, personal) experience i find this to be factually wrong. in 34 years of life i can remember 2 moments where somebody didn't do something to stop someone from going too far, and i was not in a position to intervene myself.
Most people, are good people, even though we tend to forget that.
The tone, atmosphere, even the music in some moments, tries to paint the picture of some kind of epidemic, including a seemingly infinite row of men chanting "boys will be boys".
yet never once have i seen two kids beating the crap out of each other and the parents just saying "ah well" and minding their own business, they should have gone full ham and shown the parents making bets on who would win at that point

also, bullying is a gender less issue but the commercial clearly paints it as coming exclusively from men. And they do have a lineup of female products so they have no real reason to not include them other than social justice points
edit on 15/1/2019 by IShotMyLastMuse because: sometimes i just click submit out of impulse and then my brain catches up to my hands and is like "wait you forgot stuff" and so here we are

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

never saw this. cool clip. thanks for posting! whats the problem by the way? naturally the same lunatics make hatefull comments, they want the world to be like in the good old days, but thats the past, so sad!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join