It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.5 Grendel, a happy mistake.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So I found a way to build AR-15 style rifle's really cheap. Like less than $400 cheap. And building them is fun. Customizing them is also enjoyable. I built one for a friend who did something really wonderful for me, and I also did one for a guy who worked for me. As I was ordering stuff, I did order a few extra parts, so eventually, I could build another for me. (Wife told me no more, but ....um......what?) So the place I was getting the build kits for would name the build something. So when I saw one named 6.5 grendel, I assumed it was just some name for another build and it would be a .223, as the rest were. I knew you could do 9mm, and a .22lr, and even a .308, but I wasn't aware of other calibers.

So I get the parts, put it together, and try to test fire it. It wouldn't load a shell in the chamber fully. So after some communication with the company that I bought the parts from, I realized I had an odd caliber weapon. Rather than send parts back and pay a restocking fee (this stuff was so cheap, it wasn't worth doing that) I researched this round and found that it's an amazing caliber. Superior ballistics, good heavy round, and lots of charge for a good long flat flight. Reports stated that this is a good 800 to 1200 yard round with 2000 yard capabilities. I am nowhere good enough for all that, but with this rifle, I can deer hunt with confidence, and it's a really inexpensive way to go about that. I love my .308 deer rifle, but this one has no kick, and I have the luxury of a 10 round mag, and could get more if I found my deer shooting skills are still awful and I needed to shoot more than 9 times at the same deer. (that hasn't happened yet, but I can't rule out my shaky stance when excited)

So this happy accident has introduced me to leaning more about things that I thought I knew but realized I didn't. I wonder if this could translate to other areas of my life?????

en.wikipedia.org...

ronspomeroutdoors.com...

Happy shooting.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The AR platform is very versatile.

6.5 Grendel is but one option.

Noreen Firearms makes AR platform rifles chambered in popular hunting calibers like .270 Winchester.

Many manufacturers are offering chamberings in .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf.

Then there are the plethora of pistol caliber chamberings.

6.5 is gaining a lot of traction in the hunting community, even though it was designed for military applications. Everyone I know hunts with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I had a similar situation. I was ordering ammunition on line for a rifle, but either I fat-fingered the order or they shipped me the wrong rounds. Either way, I wound up with 5,000 non-returnable rounds (a few thousand dollars worth) with no rifle to shoot in that particular caliber.

Perfect excuse for the wife for me to buy a new rifle.

Now, I am not telling anyone to deliberately order a few thousand dollars of non-returnable off-caliber rounds...but it worked for me.

edit on 7-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

Now, I am not telling anyone to deliberately order a few thousand dollars of non-returnable off-caliber rounds...but it worked for me.

What did you really tell your wife?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
"So I get the parts, put it together, and try to test fire it. It wouldn't load a shell in the chamber fully."

Thank god for that, anyway the 6.5 is nice, i just won't spring for one because ammo costs and versatility.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Ammo is relatively inexpensive. 9 bucks for 20 rounds of wolf, and 20 bucks for 20 rounds of Hornady quality rounds. For a deer hunting I don't need the 1000 rounds on stripper clips I prefer for the .223 AR. I'm very pleased with the cost and performance thus far.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ahh good old North America.

Ones I made hunters knife with syrian metal and post it on Facebook. And spend next three days interviewed by police and knife was confiscated and barely escaped prison.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

What did you really tell your wife?

I have gotten a little mileage from the blank stare and confused "what?" She knows already, but realized that this isn't the battle she wanted to fight. I have no doubt it will be used in the future when needed.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

what kind of distance can be expected with someone who can actually shoot?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Honestly, the big heavy box shows up on the doorstep. I lug it in to the kitchen and open the crate. "Oh, F***!" What am I going to do with this?"

Wife comes over - "what?"

ME: "These are the wrong rounds. I don't have a gun for this."

Wife: "Return them."

Me: "I can't, they are non-returnable."

Wife: "How much?"

Me "Couple grands worth."

Wife: "Dumb a$$. How much would a rifle to shoot them cost?"

Me: "dunno, maybe $5, $6 hundred?"

Wife: "Early birthday present, dumb a$$."

Pretty much how it went down. Of course I was not acting, so I was not trying to play anything off. Unless you are Laurence Olivier, I wouldn't really try this on a wife you have been married to for 30 years.

edit on 7-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I've never seen it used at further than 500 meters on any hunt.

At the range, the shooters who are good typically ring a gong at 800-900 yards

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I've never seen it used at further than 500 meters on any hunt.

At the range, the shooters who are good typically ring a gong at 800-900 yards

I hunt mostly in Pennsylvania, but have done a few hunts out in eastern Montana. I have never shot more than 350-400 meters at any game. Who is shooting out to 500 meters, other than sheep hunters with specialized rifles and scopes?

Asking for myself.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Many manufacturers are offering chamberings in .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf.

Weren't our guys using the Beowulf to breach doors?

If I remember correctly, that platform can swap a few parts and go back to .223 pretty quickly.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My Grendel has the same lower parts, with only the Bolt, magazine, and barrel different. So now I have a couple extra bolt carrier groups. And if I was to go to Columbia SC, I could pick up a couple stripped lowers for $39, and then.....damn, if the wife ever reads this, I'm done for.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I love my .308 deer rifle, but this one has no kick, and I have the luxury of a 10 round mag, and could get more if I found my deer shooting skills are still awful and I needed to shoot more than 9 times at the same deer. (that hasn't happened yet, but I can't rule out my shaky stance when excited) So this happy accident has introduced me t

My guess is that the gas powered semi automatic siphons off and converts some of the energy. I'd be curious if it does so at the expense of range, but it's probably trivial.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You found yourself an awesome rabbit hole my friend.

Look into 80% lower receivers, still legal for the moment..... No serial number needed 🙃

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Look into 80% lower receivers, still legal for the moment..... No serial number needed 🙃

Yep, I am aware of the "paper weights".

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Yep, I am aware of the "paper weights".

Yes sir, they can hold a piece of the constitution on your desk quite well. They also do so symbolically and literally.

One of the best examples of a twofer I can think of.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I love my .308 deer rifle, but this one has no kick, and I have the luxury of a 10 round mag, and could get more if I found my deer shooting skills are still awful and I needed to shoot more than 9 times at the same deer. (that hasn't happened yet, but I can't rule out my shaky stance when excited) So this happy accident has introduced me t

My guess is that the gas powered semi automatic siphons off and converts some of the energy. I'd be curious if it does so at the expense of range, but it's probably trivial.

The AR platform uses the exit gases to cycle the bolt and load the chamber, so I don't think it has an effect on the range, but I just found out about this round, so my "expertise" is quite limited. Hopefully our FSME could answer better than I.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I never liked building ARs. I have the Colt CQB. It's reliable the way it came and that's what matters most to me. It's the law enforcement stamped version built to military specs. It handles just like my issued m4a1. It's chambered in .223 and 5.56 but would be nice if it was in 300 blackout.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join