It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shutdown may delay IRS refunds for Americans who need them the most

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I will be frustrated if it is delayed, but I also don't depend on that money. This year our plan was to use the funds to book a trip to Ireland. We were planning to go in April - worst case scenario we push it back to the fall.

I am waiting on a couple grand from the NFIP. That I am more frustrated about because it is messing with my escrow account.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

He is claiming 5 dependents now. I had him up it from 4 to include himself, and he got really worried about even that!

I am giving him advice, but he is pretty stubborn about even appearing to break any law. He is really frightened by the government, police, anyone in a uniform, etc.

Some bad crap happens to poor people, and they live in fear, and feel powerless - especially when it comes to taxes or fines.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

Did I strike a nerve?

Tariffs suspended to further discussion: :
www.bbc.com...

US exports rice to China for first time (old news, but still relevant to a deal made more easily than an agreement with Dems) :
www.cbsnews.com...

Continued dialogue and promise to denuclearize:
www.nbcnews.com...

It's relevancy is within silly's comment that it's all Trump with no other blame..... If my comment was off topic, so was theirs.

The shutdown is BS no matter which way you cut it, but let's please place blame where it's due, accordingly
edit on 7-1-2019 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey
I know that ATS is not a demographic cross section of the US, but how many of you are counting on an early tax refund to just get on with life (for US citizens).

Not me. If you get a regular yearly refund then you have been giving the government an interest free loan which could have been in your pocket instead.

Me either. I'll wait for as long as it takes. Pelosi and the Dems are coming into this the wrong way. They should have baited the trap with Honey not vinegar. Give a little at first, then slowly make your changes. Instead, they do what they always do and screw it up even more than it is. Good job Dems. You have learned nothing about those you represent. Not much for playing chess are they?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey

He is claiming 5 dependents now. I had him up it from 4 to include himself, and he got really worried about even that!

I am giving him advice, but he is pretty stubborn about even appearing to break any law. He is really frightened by the government, police, anyone in a uniform, etc.

Some bad crap happens to poor people, and they live in fear, and feel powerless - especially when it comes to taxes or fines.

Then it is his own choice and personal responsibility for such. Such folks as him or my own husband should not complain for any delays. They willfully choose to give up their hard earned cash interest free to the government, instead of putting money in their own savings.

Edit add: according to the PDF link I provided...if he is making less than $71,209 each of his children are worth 4 credits each on that form. 5 kids alone brings it up to 20! Add in his wife and himself...and 1 more if he files head of household....5 is seriously short hanging his status!
edit on 1 7 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My best friend for 20+ years back in FL is a staunch Republican, who's also quite poor, and now freaking TF out at the prospect of not getting her refund.

Boy, has her fangirl tune on Trump changed real quick. The ATS censors would have a field day with what she had to say, but suffice it to say, as far as the very poor R's go, he's dancing on a very. thin. line with them at least in FL. Folks are starting to wise up to this shutdown, and he ain't popular for it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

Did I strike a nerve?

Tariffs suspended to further discussion: :
www.bbc.com...

US exports rice to China for first time (old news, but still relevant to a deal made more easily than an agreement with Dems) :
www.cbsnews.com...

Continued dialogue and promise to denuclearize:
www.nbcnews.com...

It's relevancy is within silly's comment that it's all Trump with no other blame..... If my comment was off topic, so was theirs.

The shutdown is BS no matter which way you cut it, but let's please place blame where it's due, accordingly

Your post is still 90% off topic.

Look, if you really feel the need to discuss the points you bring up, start your own thread.

You seem to be trying to make an argument for a specific point of view related to the shutdown. Fine. Please do so in appropriate thread. This thread is about the impact that the shutdown will have on tax refunds. It is a much more specific topic.

I don't know how tariffs, exports of rice directly or denuclearization contribute to this discussion. If you want to argue these points why not start a thread called "Tariffs, Exports of rice and denuclearization." I promise I will not try to derail the thread into a discussion on late tax refunds.

Thank you for your consideration.

edit on 7-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: fix meaning = make clear

edit on 7-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Thanks. I will look into this and pass it along.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

My best friend for 20+ years back in FL is a staunch Republican, who's also quite poor, and now freaking TF out at the prospect of not getting her refund.

While the shutdown is over partisan politics, no matter which way you lean, you should never trust the government with your money.

Overpaying the IRS for a yearly savings is bad money management and lazy.

The government could shutdown for a whole host of reasons, this one is just one of the funnier ones IMO.

People could easily set up direct deposit that automatically pulls out a certain percentage for each check.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

If I were responding directly to OP, I would say that it is going to have huge impact; not only for those regular lower income families that are waiting to get a refund, but those in my situation that are searching for a home under an FHA loan, as those aren't being processed either due to the shutdown, and also affects the available money to put down (no refund). It affects
The long game too, as it's going to take longer for the IRS to run random audits and further back up the system. It affects people in fixed income, such as people I know with homes paid off, relying on refunds to pay their annual property taxes. It affects the speed of processing even further, by delaying the annual update of the IRS's antiquated processing software, and collection of statistical data.

But I wasn't initially replying to the OP itself, I was replying to a comment in this thread; as such, my reply was directly related to said comment. Thanks for understanding

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Gave you a star for a well reasoned response.

But I wasn't initially replying to the OP itself, I was replying to a comment in this thread; as such, my reply was directly related to said comment. Thanks for understanding

Fair enough. I am trying to stick around and tend to the threads I create, and try and keep them on track. A few comments do get by me.

No hard feelings.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I get everyone saying don't loan the government your money for a year or so...basically a 0% interest loan. I totally agree.

However, I believe this is really geared towards low income people who get the earned income credit and things like that, which in some cases can be thousands of dollars depending on how many kids are involved. At least that's my assumption.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Lol it's all good, but I have to add something directly ON topic: when the government shuts down, should we not have some sort of policy that would potentially stop employers from deducting money from our checks? I keep hearing "it's not really shutdown if they're taking money!" But that's the employer, not necessarily the government. If things like this for with public utility companies (offering credit for instances of downed lines, internal issues, main breaks, etc.), It should be the same way with taxes, imo

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

As usual, the less money you have, the less consideration you seem to get from the government.

One thing I have noticed in my interactions will lower income folks - they also seem to have a lower understanding of their options when it comes to their own finances.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

Lol it's all good, but I have to add something directly ON topic: when the government shuts down, should we not have some sort of policy that would potentially stop employers from deducting money from our checks? I keep hearing "it's not really shutdown if they're taking money!" But that's the employer, not necessarily the government. If things like this for with public utility companies (offering credit for instances of downed lines, internal issues, main breaks, etc.), It should be the same way with taxes, imo

I think your suggestion is well reasoned, if only for the sake of compassion. May I suggest you submit this in some public form that could get traction?

Petition the White House on the Issues that Matter to You
WhiteHouse Petition

You do the leg work and I will sign it!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
All trumps fault... He wants 5 billion to spend in country, and that's bad... Dems want 54 billion for foreign aid.

But that is considered good by the left... I just don't get it.

Spend money inside the country bad, outside the country good... It's nuts.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

This has been covered already, they don't have to over pay either.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: generik

Too bad the democrats have nothing to do with the shutdown.
Talk to the toddler throwing a tantrum because he is not getting his way ...and that is because with what Mueller has coming down the pike he desperately needs a win to show his base. Without the wall he will lose even more if his base and he isnt gaining any new supporters.

SIlly, this got by me, but this is really off-topic for this conversation. I took a few other posters to task, and it was pointed out to me that my fairness was , um, not that fair.

If you want to have these discussions and present these points of view, please do so in an appropriate thread. This tread is about income tax refunds as related to the shutdown, how it may affect people, and if the IRS could be separately funded.

I think we have had a good discussion so far with a lot of disparate views on the subject. I would appreciate your consideration in staying within the topic.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

It's not about the money, it's about posturing for 2020 IMO.

I can't relay how indifferent I am about the wall, but 5 billion is a drop in the bucket, and I can't count how many dumber things the government has spent 5 billion on.

It will help day to day of border security, but doesn't really address the root of the problem, so it's a double edged sword.

This was one of his biggest campaign promises though, and much of his base believe it is one of his most important platforms.

Everything that transpires in this shutdown will be the fodder for ads to start rolling out to a screen near you anytime now.

I can see it now, both sides will be saying "the other side held your refund".
edit on 7-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: My humor could have been perceived as trolling.....it might have been trolling......it was probably trolling.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
All trumps fault... He wants 5 billion to spend in country, and that's bad... Dems want 54 billion for foreign aid.

But that is considered good by the left... I just don't get it.

Spend money inside the country bad, outside the country good... It's nuts.

OH, my.....

Do I have to give the off-topic speech again? Your post had no mention of refunds, the IRS, or the possibility of reopening the IRS.

Please work with me here human.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join