It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shutdown may delay IRS refunds for Americans who need them the most

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Failure to have someone educate them in basic household finance.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

The IRS doesn't collect anything from your regular paycheck, your employer does.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Funny, before Trump dems were for stronger border security and even were against ILLEGAL immigration, yes, schumer said illegal.
Pay attention especially to chuck at about 1:45 in. He even brags about increasing the border 'fence'.

This shutdown is totally on hypocritical dems and their anti-Trump delusion.
edit on 1 7 2019 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: toms54

The IRS doesn't collect anything from your regular paycheck, your employer does.

However your employer "writes the check" to the IRS (many use electronic transfer).

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

How can a situation like this happen in The U.S. ?

This is Third World stuff.

Said every Roman right before the inevitable collapse...

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I have a hard time feeling sorry for people that depend on a tax return.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey
However your employer "writes the check" to the IRS (many use electronic transfer).

I know that which is why my second post in the thread I said there's technically no one to pay if there's also no one to pay you.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A tax return is nice, but if it's all you're living for, then you have some serious issues with your finances.

We never ever plan on one since we're not actively trying to get one. We treat them like the annual bonus -- use it if you get, but don't plan on it, never depend on it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey

I know that which is why my second post in the thread I said there's technically no one to pay if there's also no one to pay you.

Excellent point.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If keeping your finances in order is dependent upon a tax refund, you're doing it wrong.

Willingly loaning the government money at no interest for 12 months, then getting mad when you don't get it back when you want it is plain idiotic.

I'll file in Feb like usual, and cut the IRS a check for ~$100 like usual in April.

That reminds me, I have a daughter on the way in 2019. Time to readjust my withholding for that.

Basically, don't loan the government money for free...

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Because our political party system creates division and the American people feed the divisiveness. It's the fault of both political parties. The American worker would be fired if they didn't do their jobs! So why don't American's, republicans & democrats alike, demand legislation that both congress, the Senate and the president cannot receive pay if they create a government shut-down! I can just imagine how quick these self-serving elected officials would come to a compromise.

Wake-up America! Our politicians and presidents have a separate justice system when it pertains to them. Their not playing by the same rules the majority of Americans have to abide by. Our political system is broken and until we start making our elected officials accountable at the voting booth and with public protests, we have nobody to blame but ourselves!

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Pearl clutching hysterics.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Funny, before Trump dems were for stronger border security and even were against ILLEGAL immigration, yes, schumer said illegal.
Pay attention especially to chuck at about 1:45 in. He even brags about increasing the border 'fence'.

You won't get an answer.
It shows their hypocrisy and they can't deny that all this is nothing more than Anti Trump obstruction. They touted Obama as " deporting more illegal immigrants than any President " ( yes, they actually said ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS gasp !! ) but now they've flipped to " OMG we must protect these poor asylum seekers ".
Bald faced liars and hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: generik

of course they will not fund the IRS, so that people can get their tax returns. the democrats want the shutdown to hurt as much as possible. especially to hurt the poorest among us

You are wrong. In fact the dems in the house have already passed a bill to fund the irs through this year.
They voted on it the very first day.
www.congress.gov...

For necessary expenses of the Internal Revenue Service to provide taxpayer services, including pre-filing assistance and education, filing and account services, taxpayer advocacy services, and other services as authorized by 5 U.S.C. 3109, .

Will the republicans in the senate pass it? Will trump sign it ? Or do they just want to hurt people?

Piecemeal spending bills that contain no special interest pork barrel funding will probably pass.
I'm basing that on Trump stating that the government may stay partially unfunded for months or even years.
That is assuming Trump is as good a chess player as he claims.

You can prevent a game loss by just flipping the board off the table letting the pieces fly randomly onto the floor, but good chess players don't do that.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: stosh64

You won't get an answer.
It shows their hypocrisy and they can't deny that all this is nothing more than Anti Trump obstruction. They touted Obama as " deporting more illegal immigrants than any President " ( yes, they actually said ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS gasp !! ) but now they've flipped to " OMG we must protect these poor asylum seekers ".
Bald faced liars and hypocrites.

I know that folks get wrapped up in these discussions, but how exactly is your comment related to the OP?

The OP is concerned with the IRS shutdown and how tax returns will not get processed in a timely fashion this year, not about illegal immigration. Please take your arguments for/against immigration policy to an appropriate thread or start one of your own.

I am concerned that your are drawing this tread off topic in you enthusiasm to discuss something else.

Thank you for your consideration.

link   

They have nothing to do with the shutdown?

Let's put this into perspective: Trump was able to negotiate trade with China, as well as a nuclear agreement with North Korea, yet the Democrats won't budge on the $5 billion wall funding (even though they OK'd $27 billion in wall security several years ago, under Obama the Golden Child........

Trump was able to sell rice to China and negotiate a deal with an actual Dictator, quicker and easier than a deal with the Derpocrats.

Let that sink in for a minute.

link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You could set that video on auto replay all day and some here would still deny it's true.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

But it IS all about immigration. They won't provide any funds for a border wall so the partial shutdown. It's all political BS.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Pass a bill to fund the IRS?
Pass a bill to shut them down? Yes.

They have been able to take money out of my paycheck.... but they don’t have any money to send checks to those who have overpaid?
Sounds legit.
Yes, let’s fund them.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Let's put this into perspective: Trump was able to negotiate trade with China, as well as a nuclear agreement with North Koreae...

He did? I guess that's news to me since both of those have not yet been finalized.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join