It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shutdown may delay IRS refunds for Americans who need them the most

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So this thread is not really about people needing their refunds and not getting them. It's about how stupid even the working poor are, and you can also come in and give yourself a big pat on the back for your fabulosity and financial astuteness.

I see.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
a reply to: Sillyolme

They have nothing to do with the shutdown?

Let's put this into perspective: Trump was able to negotiate trade with China, as well as a nuclear agreement with North Korea, yet the Democrats won't budge on the $5 billion wall funding (even though they OK'd $27 billion in wall security several years ago, under Obama the Golden Child........

Trump was able to sell rice to China and negotiate a deal with an actual Dictator, quicker and easier than a deal with the Derpocrats.

Let that sink in for a minute.

When did all this happen? I don't believe we have a ratified trade deal with China not a nuclear agreement with north korea. Or am I missing some sort of Senate ratification of treaties that slipped by my notice?

At least you used the work "shutdown," which is related to the OP. The rest....well really off topic. Please argue your off topic points on a thread where they are on-topic.

Thanks.
edit on 7-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

If someone needs the money why are they giving it to the government for up to 14 months interest free?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If someone needs the money why are they giving it to the government for up to 14 months interest free?

I don't know AM, you tell me. I know they take taxes out of my paychecks. Should I just tell them to stop it!?

edit on 1/7/2019 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Let's put this into perspective: Trump was able to negotiate trade with China, as well as a nuclear agreement with North Koreae...

He did? I guess that's news to me since both of those have not yet been finalized.

If I was a lesser man (or sober.... ever) I'd slip into insanity sometimes in these threads from the mental gymnastics on both sides of a point forcing me to argue (or fact check) both sides at the same time.
edit on 7-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

link   

Yes, change how you declare so they take as close to getting a $0 refund or payment when you file.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Then you would get accused of supporting a party you can't stand, like they do with me.

But I've seen it happen with you too so as Nelson Muntz says, 'Ha, ha!'.

link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

I don't know AM, you tell me. I know they take taxes out of my paychecks. Should I just tell them to stop it!?

That is done on the W-4 form upon employment.

You do have a little bit of decision making in how deductions work.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but can't you set it up to where none gets deducted and you can pay what you owe after filing?

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's not called the Redneck Lottery for nuthin ya know. Wal-Mart is probably freaking out.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Yes, change how you declare so they take as close to getting a $0 refund or payment when you file.

Oh that. I used to do that, but I changed it.

link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but can't you set it up to where none gets deducted and you can pay what you owe after filing?

Correct. You can overpay, underpay or get as close to the bogey as you can where you owe little or are owed little.

I prefer that latter.

link   

You can calculate what your tax burden will be for the year and avoid sending too much. The individual taxpayer sending too much is what actually produces the "refund".

It's basic math and common sense.

If anyone in this thread wants to send me money all year at no interest, I will gladly pay them back what they sent me next April. I will, however pocket any interest that I made using your money. Any takers?

link   

To what? Paying the government more than you should? Why?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
If anyone in this thread wants to send me money all year at no interest, I will gladly pay them back what they sent me next April. I will, however pocket any interest that I made using your money. Any takers?

The government counts on this type of behavior.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

This year (2018 tax year) I put my W-4 to zero dependents because I have no idea what the tax changes are going to do to my final return. Having the Fed hold my dollars in 2018 turned out to be a better idea then putting it into a DJI index stock fund however, as that is down 7.21 % this year. However, that is luck, not intentional, so I really can't take any credit for that move.
edit on 7-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The dependence on tax refunds shows you how many people mismanage their finances. Tax refunds are a forced savings for many people. Far too many view tax refunds as a windfall instead of understanding that they spent the previous year overpaying the government hence an interest-free loan.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

In everyone's defense, the education system has not been geared to help citizens navigate life in relation to the government in decade.

They make all of this difficult on purpose. If we're talking about primary schools, I went to one of the best high schools in my state, we talked about taxes for maybe a day. Luckily I find my money and where it goes very interesting, so I decided to look into it myself.

All that said, it doesn't really surprise me that many people don't know you have decisions in all of this. Many expect the government to make these decisions for them. Our government is not notorious for consistency, efficiency, or just about any positive descriptor, so why give them decision making abilities in any aspect of your life if you can do it yourself?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Then let this thread serve as a wake up call, I wont even charge a fee for my sound financial advice.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I need mine the wife's looking at new Escalades, Oh well as long as she's happy.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

If I remember correctly, I didn't like paying so much at the end of the year. I didn't properly prepare for it, and It was a pain in the booty. I started putting the refunds in a saving account, back when they accrued interest.

Now, I have to pay them anyway, not a whole bunch, but I still have to send them a check along with what they take, for other things I might do outside my primary job.

I'm okay with it, I guess. My circumstances are such that it doesn't really bother me.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join