It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Sens. Cruz, Rooney introduce Constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Teddy! You surprise me bud! I'm fully behind this.... though I don't hold out much hope that either Party will get on board. Seriously, kudos to Cruz. Maybe I'm foolish believing this is genuine but this appears to be gaining traction.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and Republican Rep. Francis Rooney proposed a Constitutional amendment on Thursday that would impose term limits on members of both houses of Congress.

The amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), and David Perdue (R-Ga.), would restrict senators to two six-year terms and House members to three two-year terms. A similar amendment was proposed by Cruz in January of 2017.

CNN

That's right, he introduced this amendment back in 2017 as well. Democrats appear to be split over the idea. Gee really? Wouldn't be surprised about the GOP. Never got through during their majority. Seriously though.... I mean we have the likes of Pelosi in congress.... she was House Speaker back in 2007 for Christ's sakes. What the hell is she doing back, she needs to go. Congressman Hal Rogers..... having held his position since 1981. Charles Rangel only retired last year as congressman after continiously serving since 1971. This is part of the issue with congress. I sure as hell hope this isn't some ruse put on for show again... something has to give.

edit on 4-1-2019 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Thank God.

I don’t care which party passes this as long as it passes.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
what about the law of unintended consequences?

Wouldn't this just mean their criminality would be done on an expedited basis?
edit on 4-1-2019 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Agree with you 100 percent on this one guardian.
Congress was not meant to be a lifelong career.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The only problem is it's a conflict of interest. Just like everything else in government, congress has to vote on it. It's like you having to vote losing your job in 8 years. Instead of congress voting on issues that are clearly a conflict of interest, term limits should be placed on the ballot and let the people decide!!! After all, they supposedly work for us, lol.

There's too much power given to government officials. Give the power back to the people!...won't happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Probably won’t pass but I fully support it

Great news

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Teddy! You surprise me bud! I'm fully behind this.... though I don't hold out much hope that either Party will get on board. Seriously, kudos to Cruz. Maybe I'm foolish believing this is genuine but this appears to be gaining traction.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and Republican Rep. Francis Rooney proposed a Constitutional amendment on Thursday that would impose term limits on members of both houses of Congress.

The amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), and David Perdue (R-Ga.), would restrict senators to two six-year terms and House members to three two-year terms. A similar amendment was proposed by Cruz in January of 2017.

CNN

That's right, he introduced this amendment back in 2017 as well. Democrats appear to be split over the idea. Gee really? Wouldn't be surprised about the GOP. Never got through during their majority. Seriously though.... I mean we have the likes of Pelosi in congress.... she was House Speaker back in 2007 for Christ's sakes. What the hell is she doing back, she needs to go. Congressman Hal Rogers..... having held his position since 1981. Charles Rangel only retired last year as congressman after continiously serving since 1971. This is part of the issue with congress. I sure as hell hope this isn't some ruse put on for show again... something has to give.

It's official now. Turn the lights out, please lock the door on your way out. I agree with you on this, and it must be a sign of the apocalypse. I never thought it would happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together knows there's not a chance in hell of that happening...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The full amendment can be viewed here. This is something we can all get behind and I'll be following this one closely.

I'm unsure what Cruz is banking through this. Let's be honest, he isn't the most stand up guy in congress. With that said, credit due to him on this. This move by him may possibly be part of a larger flow of change taking a hold in Washington. There's been talk from a number of Washington insiders on term limits. I know I know, it's likely to be shot down, but this is a big step in my view...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Trouble with the link to the amendment?
www.cruz.senate.gov...
edit on 4-1-2019 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
what about the law of unintended consequences?

Wouldn't this just mean their criminality would be done on an expedited basis?

I would bet that during that last term, they throw caution to the wind and do whatever the hell they want. They have to answer to nobody then.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Im always amazed that the dim bulbs believe a new bought and paid for face will be different than the old bought and paid for face (republicans). Maybe if you morons tried voting for the opposition party you will finally get different results. There is such a thing as a primary dip sticks. Not a real bright bunch are they? a reply to: Southern Guardian

edit on 4-1-2019 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Im always amazed that the dim bulbs believe a new bought and paid for face will be different than the old bought and paid for face (republicans). Maybe if you morons tried voting for the opposition party you will finally get different results. There is such a thing as a primary dip sticks. Not a real bright bunch are they? a reply to: Southern Guardian

Ah, the voice of reason. Where have you been all my life? If I would just vote against everything I believe in, things would get better?

When you voted for Trump, did it make you smile?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I'm not optimistic about this since the finality of a Constitutional amendment would make all of the Congressional slugs put on their panic pants since they can't just simply vote to undo it at a later date.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
If they would include doing away with the electoral college, and move to a 'popular vote', I would really be impressed.
One person, one vote. The way things are now my vote doesn't even count. Electoral college serves to confiscate my vote.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Agree with you 100 percent on this one guardian.
Congress was not meant to be a lifelong career.

Nancy Pelosi for example is in her 17th term as a career politician.

Think about that! 17 terms.

And somehow became a mega-millionaire along the way!

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Why are you surprised? In the article it says he introduced a similar ammendment in 2017. I bet if i look it was shot down by democrats, and this one will be too. In any event, this will gain no traction because it makes too much sense, much like Rep. Love's "one subject per bill".

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
If they would include doing away with the electoral college, and move to a 'popular vote', I would really be impressed.
One person, one vote. The way things are now my vote doesn't even count. Electoral college serves to confiscate my vote.

Your vote does count. It counts towards the electoral college votes of your state. The most populous states have the most electoral college votes.

Popular vote would not work because then NYC and CA would control the country.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: angeldoll

Your vote does count. It counts towards the electoral college votes of your state. The most populous states have the most electoral college votes.

Popular vote would not work because then NYC and CA would control the country.

Are they not citizens of this country?

One person. One vote.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: soundguy

Ah, the voice of reason. Where have you been all my life? If I would just vote against everything I believe in, things would get better?

When you voted for Trump, did it make you smile?

Ah, but this is where you repeal the apportionment act, and all of the sudden we have 10833 representatives they need to pay off instead of 435.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join