It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Sens. Cruz, Rooney introduce Constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
If they would include doing away with the electoral college, and move to a 'popular vote', I would really be impressed.
One person, one vote. The way things are now my vote doesn't even count. Electoral college serves to confiscate my vote.

The Electoral College is in place because it is the United States and each state, no matter how large or small, has a say. This prevents the highly populated coasts from dictating to the rest of the country.

States get more electoral votes based on their population, which is determined during the census. Why do you think the Dems do not want a "Citizen" question on the census? What advantage is gained by counting non-citizens?

¿Entiendes ahora?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

The electoral college is antiquated and obsolete. It steals my vote, and yours too.

ONE PERSON ONE VOTE

ABOLISH THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The electoral college is antiquated and obsolete. It steals my vote, and yours too.

ONE PERSON ONE VOTE

We just gave you the reasoning behind the electoral college. Your vote does count. If your response is the best you can do in having a logical discussion then I'd say you aren't informed enough to be voting anyway.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Im always amazed that the dim bulbs believe a new bought and paid for face will be different than the old bought and paid for face (republicans). Maybe if you morons tried voting for the opposition party you will finally get different results. There is such a thing as a primary dip sticks. Not a real bright bunch are they? a reply to: Southern Guardian

Can you make it through one post without making insults?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

If they would include doing away with the electoral college, and move to a 'popular vote', I would really be impressed.
One person, one vote. The way things are now my vote doesn't even count. Electoral college serves to confiscate my vote.

Your vote does count.

The electoral college serves a wel thought as purpose, but thats for another thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Why does everyone cry about the electoral college but ignores the bigger issue of gerrymandering? The EC does not steal my vote as it was originally intended that our representatives elect the president in the first place.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The electoral college is antiquated and obsolete.

I've heard a lot of people on the left say the exact same thing about the constitution.

Good luck with eliminating the electoral college anyway.

Without it you'd have a few densely populated areas, cities and states deciding the outcome in every presidential election.

The rest of the states might as well not waste time or money voting, because they won't count.

Meh

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Its even worse under a first past the post system.

Here in Canada there are entire provinces filled with millions of people whose votes dont count before the election is even over.

Once the votes are tallied I Quebec, Ontario and the Lower Mainland BC the election is all but over.

That means that the Yukon, NWT, Alberta, Sakatchewan, Manitoba, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland bites are irrelevant in most cases BEFORE THEY ARE PUT IN THE BALLOT BOX.

Does that sound fair and representative to you? Because that's what you are advocating for.

The Electoral College is far and away the best voting system in the world. AINEC.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

ONE PERSON ONE VOTE

You should start a petition to do just that. Spend your time going door-to-door handing out leaflets on the advantage of eliminating the Electoral College, instead of learning how an amendment is ratified www.archives.gov... The exercise will do you good and keep you out of pool halls.

From the link "A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States). When the OFR verifies that it has received the required number of authenticated ratification documents, it drafts a formal proclamation for the Archivist to certify that the amendment is valid and has become part of the Constitution."

Do you expect that 38 states will ratify the amendment? Will smaller states give up their influence so that the highly populated states can dictate the course of the country?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
A lame-duck Congressman is horrible. (Think Ryan, Flake, Corker.)

Term Limits will make every Congressman worthless during his/her last year or two?

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I think the only way to get something like this done is through a constitutional convention... congress or senate obviously won't vote themselves out of a job.

Conservatives Call for Constitutional Convention to Limit Federal Government

Under article V, if two-thirds of state legislatures so choose, they can force congress to convene such a meeting. On the agenda for Convention of States: an amendment to require a balanced budget, term limits for congress, repealing the federal income tax and giving states the power to veto any federal law, supreme court decision or executive order with a three-fifths vote from the states.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Why does everyone cry about the electoral college but ignores the bigger issue of gerrymandering? The EC does not steal my vote as it was originally intended that our representatives elect the president in the first place.

Yeah, the gerrymandering is a symptom of lack of term limits. Once a politician gets elected, they find all kinds of ways to ensure their re-election. It is nearly impossible to unseat an incumbent because of all the arcane rules and geographical boundaries drawn around the incumbent to solidify their support.

Another thing that needs to happen is removal of SENIORITY. What happens now is that the senior congress folks essentially can squash any of the freshman congressman's power. So a district could elect say some young firebrand to shake things up and they quickly find they have no power because the senior folks won't put them on committees or anything to stifle them.

A big issue I've pointed out before too is that powerful politicians are often elected by a handful of people and the rest of us have little to no control over. For example, Nancy Pelosi gets elected by a small number of people in San Fran, yet she affects the rest of us and we have little to no ability to get her dried up ass out of office.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Oh shoot looks like Teddy's making another run in 2020 if my spidey sense on this legislative black hole is accurate.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is LONG overdue but from what I can see, the proposed limits are still way too long.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

ONE PERSON ONE VOTE

We just gave you the reasoning behind the electoral college. Your vote does count. If your response is the best you can do in having a logical discussion then I'd say you aren't informed enough to be voting anyway.

You gave me YOUR obsolete reasoning.

I'm not informed enough to vote anyway? Holy #, that's some scary stuff right there. Of course you would like that, huh?

Not to worry, since my vote doesn't count anyway.

ABOLISH THE ELECTORAL VOTE

I don't like derailing threads, but that mess was established in 1787. Wake up and smell 2019. Happy New Year.

edit on 1/4/2019 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

How do you plan to abolish the Electoral College? You must have a plan as you are now using pink, all-caps to shout out your position. If you make the font even larger, your arguments will be much better.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Exactly. I like how Rand Paul questioned how only a select group was privy to sensitive intelligence as it evokes inequality among the states which are supposed to have equal representation.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I would absolutely LOVE if this was passed.... Honestly, I don't know one citizen who would oppose it.. This is one thing that SHOULD pass... For everyone in Congress who opposes it, we know you're apart of the swampy problem in DC...

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I support a move to the popular vote Angel. It's up there with term limits on my list.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

So f# the Constitution to death, huh?

I believe you're what's called a "domestic enemy".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join