It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Labor Shortage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I honestly don't care about proving anything to you. I wasn't seeking to prove anything in that statement. If anything I was seeking answers to what drives people to pursue something that in no way benefits them. Based on my own experience from what I witness with my own perceptions of what the people around me have dealt with. I have come to see that unless a person is pursuing a college degree is some higher form of science. it's a pointless thing to yearn for.

So, tell me. Why should I prove anything to you when I myself am seeking answers to things that I don't seem to understand?

Are you asking me to divulge personal information about the people I am close to? You want names? Addresses? Alma maters? Pay stubs? Tax information? Yeah, sure. That all seems really reasonable.
edit on 27-12-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: left "a person" out.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

you made a statement about people who didn't go to college making more than people who did without qualifying what you said with data

oh well, guess your input doesn't matter
edit on 27-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Ahh yes, the labor shortage. That politicians will "fix" and use as an excuse to import low skill labor from other countries. Expect there to be another push for foreign labor in the next year, in the form of wanting more legal immigrants or green card waivers much like we had in the mid tech boom.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
Ahh yes, the labor shortage. That politicians will "fix" and use as an excuse to import low skill labor from other countries. Expect there to be another push for foreign labor in the next year, in the form of wanting more legal immigrants or green card waivers much like we had in the mid tech boom.

and then they won't have to raise wages to attract workers and our broken system gets even more broken

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

How curt. It would be such a pity if that's how you behave in everyday discourses. Perhaps you might find a little enrichment from trying to help a fellow out in his honest questioning instead of making it out to be something it isn't.

I asked a question supplemented by experiences of those I know. Yes it's anecdotal, because it's based on personal experience. I made no attempt at making it seem anything other than that. As interesting an endeavor it would be to get my acquaintances to join this forum and share their personal information to sate your displeasure in the lack of information I don't think that's realistic.

Indeed. Could you imagine the look they would give me if I came to them with that preposterous notion? How should I go about it? "Excuse me John. Could I bother you for a moment of your time? You see I've found myself in a bit of a pickle. There's this fellow online who has demanded evidence of your credentials and also your tax information. While your at it I wouldn't suppose that you would allow me to give him your number so that he may contact you directly for any further questioning?"

I asked a question. I supplemented it by adding an anecdotal experience to make a point. Maybe you could provide some logical or empirical evidence that will clear things up for me. I entreat you.

edit on 27-12-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: grammar error

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   

oh right some self righteous indignation

you made a bold claim and can't back it up without any data

big deal, ON TO THE NEXT

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Hardly. I feel no anger towards you, but be that way. I'm being honest. I'll still value your input however rude you may be. But this practice of yours, this lambasting, it's not beneficial. In this way you are shutting people down who are actively seeking answers. It really is easy to ridicule someone, but what good does that do?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   

sure, everything is rude these days, especially if you asking someone to qualify their point of view with objective data

soooooo rude

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Funny how all of a sudden we have (Americans) the largest homeless problem of all time, yet, their is a shortage of workers. Also, this type of news is good for people coming into the country illegally. But where the heck is the housing for all these people.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

There's gotta be something there. What's the answer? I don't personally know anyone under the age of thirty who actually work in a field that's anywhere close to being related to what they went to school for. They make anywhere from $20k a year to $30k a year. Everyone I know personally, myself included, who didn't go to college are making at least $30k a year. Granted some of them went to a trade school, but most of them are getting hired on the day they graduate making more than what my college educated peers are making per year.

you are going to have to actually provide some data outside of anecdotal experience before anyone especially myself is going to believe that's true

Hi Toys, here ya go:

More Lifetime Earnings. A recent study from Georgetown University found that, on average, college graduates earn $1 million more in earnings over their lifetime. Another recent study by the Pew Research Center found that the median yearly income gap between high school and college graduates is around $17,500.Nov 29, 2016

www.cornerstone.edu...

Sure there are cases where tradespeople or others without college education earn more, but as a whole it is not true.

By choosing not to go to college, you are essentially forfeiting $17,500 per year and $1 million over your lifetime.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

You got a four year jump on your college graduate friends, getting paid as you learned. Every year you stay at a job or in a job field you gain better wages, after five years it does level off but you still get more vacation building up.

I know lots of people who got their degrees and couldn't get a job in their degree. The people who did get jobs had to move somewhere else to get a job. The places they went to paid very well, but the cost of living was so much higher and repaying the loan brought them down to a not much better place than if they would just have gotten a job locally.

I kind of feel sorry for the young that got sucked into college debt without thinking over if the field they chose was the right field. Now, we do need some workers in the nursing field, that usually pays off pretty good, get an LPN certification then go back while working and the hospitals have a program that pays for upgrading your job to an RN license. That is better than just going straight for the RN certification because you do not have to pay for it.

I know lots of business owners, most like to train in their own workers, many that have degrees are not good workers, they have this chip on their shoulder because they do not feel they are getting paid enough for the time and money they spent in College. After two years working at the restaurant or retail store, they have settled down, they are able to admit they made a mistake. But can't make too much or they have to start repaying the loans they were talked into taking out. So they work part time.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

HELLO...WAKE UP. The problem you have outlined is PRECISELY why the US needs to maintain an open borders immigration policy. By accepting a million or so low skill workers from Mexico and Central America every year.........YOU don't have long wait times at McDonalds. Yea, you may be exposed to Tuberculosis, but you get your Big Mac and fries on time!

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Funny how all of a sudden we have (Americans) the largest homeless problem of all time, yet, their is a shortage of workers. Also, this type of news is good for people coming into the country illegally. But where the heck is the housing for all these people.

Those are damn fine questions.
1) Can't hire the homeless because they don't have permanent addresses to put into the forms for tax reporting purposes; and
2) The migrants eventually end up living with relatives who live in shacks spread throughout the country. I have a buddy who has an auto junkyard pick-a-part lot with an adjacent wedding hall and next to that a Cantina. There's a lot of them living in old shacks around about the junk yard that work his business.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Raise wages and attract workers (even taking them from other places) or close your doors.

Some would argue that if they raised wages then they would have to raise the price of their product. Why not cut profits instead?

Those businesses dont have a "right" to be in business. If they cant make the cut then oh well. At least they wont have a problem finding a well paying job through their competition!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Raise wages and attract workers (even taking them from other places) or close your doors.

Some would argue that if they raised wages then they would have to raise the price of their product. Why not cut profits instead?

Those businesses dont have a "right" to be in business. If they cant make the cut then oh well. At least they wont have a problem finding a well paying job through their competition!

Oh, this is already happening. Right now it is affecting things on the fringe like fast food, etc. Some have provided examples of other skilled areas it is effected. What happens when there aren't enough doctors, or electric technicians or things we consider necessary?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

could not agree more

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Oh, this is already happening. Right now it is affecting things on the fringe like fast food, etc. Some have provided examples of other skilled areas it is effected. What happens when there aren't enough doctors, or electric technicians or things we consider necessary?

I have no problem with importing doctors and such. However cheap labor isn't a necessity.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I went to Mcdonalds today, they had a big sign saying they were hiring, and had jobs for 14 & 15 year olds.

In the 90s and early 2000s, fast food workers where kids mostly. then times got hard and adults needed those jobs.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I went to Mcdonalds today, they had a big sign saying they were hiring, and had jobs for 14 & 15 year olds.
I've never seen that before.

All fast food places and all retail near me have now hiring signs, for at least the last two years. There is an extreme
shortage of workers.

Where are these workers going to come from? Automation is not yet here and even when it is it won't cover everything. Boomers are retiring faster than ever, and people are having less kids. US population is shrinking.

I know it's a great problem to have until some sectors really start suffering. We are starting to feel it in lack of services in my area.
There are many restaurants here and they won't seat you even in a half empty dining room because they just don't have the wait staff or cooks to handle it.
The week leading up to Christmas I went into a speciality retail store, and they had two workers working. Many people just put their stuff down and left.

www.pbs.org...
With an aging population and few immigrants, the state could have a shortage of 45,000 workers by 2024, which could pose a threat to business.

alfinnextlevel.wordpress.com...
US Labour Shortages Intensify Across All Sectors

Another aspect of this problem could be the very poor skills of the young people due to dumbing down of the education system for the masses.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: EternalSolace

but we don't need those jobs and the people who work them are useless losers

No they are not losers. Should a person at burger king refuse your order, you'd likely be the first to complain. This also gives you away as a privileged #tard. Any person willing to work, deserves every bit of respect afforded to them.

What is unforgivable is to accept life's circumstances without a fight.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join