It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Labor Shortage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I went to Mcdonalds today, they had a big sign saying they were hiring, and had jobs for 14 & 15 year olds.
I've never seen that before.

All fast food places and all retail near me have now hiring signs, for at least the last two years. There is an extreme
shortage of workers.

Where are these workers going to come from? Automation is not yet here and even when it is it won't cover everything. Boomers are retiring faster than ever, and people are having less kids. US population is shrinking.

I know it's a great problem to have until some sectors really start suffering. We are starting to feel it in lack of services in my area.
There are many restaurants here and they won't seat you even in a half empty dining room because they just don't have the wait staff or cooks to handle it.
The week leading up to Christmas I went into a speciality retail store, and they had two workers working. Many people just put their stuff down and left.

www.pbs.org...
With an aging population and few immigrants, the state could have a shortage of 45,000 workers by 2024, which could pose a threat to business.

alfinnextlevel.wordpress.com...
US Labour Shortages Intensify Across All Sectors

edit on 26-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Another topic you dont understand
Allow me to clarify the situation for you. Again.
The only employee shortages are in service industries such as McDonalds
Which , as history shows , has a very large turnover rate as these ARE jobs being targeted to the young
Btw , those jobs are the ones in which the older , higher paid veterans have been released to be filled by lower paid part time young folk

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This labor shortage spreads across the West and Asia due mostly to declining birth rates and aging populations. An increasingly large number of people have upside-down family trees. Some of these governments believe that importing workers via immigration is a good way to maintain a labor force, and hence maintaining the benefits of these governments and their services, as opposed to the cutting services and trimming the government bureaucracies. This is one crucial yet less talked about issues of our time.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I went to Mcdonalds today, they had a big sign saying they were hiring, and had jobs for 14 & 15 year olds.
I've never seen that before.

All fast food places and all retail near me have now hiring signs, for at least the last two years. There is an extreme
shortage of workers.

Not really. I've worked for McD's before. They're ALWAYS hiring because people are always getting hired there, finding out what they actually have to do to make minimum wage working there and quitting a week later. I worked for them for several years and there probably wasn't a single pay period that went by in all that time when someone didn't quit. Usually, they just stopped showing up.

They also pamper high schoolers because high schoolers don't actually need the job bad enough to put up with abuse. Despite the fact that high schoolers are pampered at min wage jobs, they still quit in droves when they realize working is actually work.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Just curious...what state are you in?
At a local McDonald’s I go to a couple times a week for a breakfast sandwich, they now have greeters that will open the door for you when you walk up.
They also have 4 self service, touch screen stations to order your food, but still have regular cashiers too.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
And yet, something like half of all food stamps and Medicaid go to "middle class" Americans.

I'm not sure how cbs defines that wage, but I'm pretty sure it's not the kind of money you make flipping burgers.

www.cbsnews.com...

On the other hand, I've met maybe one in ten people abusing these systems who axially deserve them. Most just don't want to work, and are willing to accept living in poverty to accomplish it.
They should be getting jobs- like you said, there's no shortage of work, just a shortage of workers.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the problem may be wages

since wages are outdated by 25 years there isn't anyone willing to work for such garbage wages. if they up their wages to something relevant to todays market maybe that will change

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Which , as history shows , has a very large turnover rate as these ARE jobs being targeted to the young
Btw , those jobs are the ones in which the older , higher paid veterans have been released to be filled by lower paid part time young folk

Do you consider truck drivers a service industry?

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Let me clarify something for you.
We aren't talking about turnover rates, that has been happening forever especially in those industries, we are talking about not enough bodies.

I'll do the math for you,
100 positions 50 people.

edit on 26-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Do you consider truck drivers a service industry?

Yes
They are

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Where I live, which is highly industrialized, is short on labor to take factory jobs. My company is presently working through labor relations in different states to attract workers. There are several large manufacturing plants where I live and in the surrounding counties.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
the problem may be wages

since wages are outdated by 25 years there isn't anyone willing to work for such garbage wages. if they up their wages to something relevant to todays market maybe that will change

the problem i bet is wages

most cooks hear make 10 working a real cooking job not burgers and frys

mcdonalds pays 10 aswell

you tell me witch one has a now hiring sine out front and witch just has a stack of apps with people who want to work

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
Where I live, which is highly industrialized, is short on labor to take factory jobs. My company is presently working through labor relations in different states to attract workers. There are several large manufacturing plants where I live and in the surrounding counties.

My company will train you to make you a machinist as well. All you need is a good work ethic and be a solid stand up person and we will hire you.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Choice A:
Collect 8.00/hr, pay fica, health benefits. Go home with $45 per day for your labors after a hard day of putting up with peoples bull#.

Choice B:
Sit on your dead ass and collect welfare. Get $25 per day after healthcare benefits, snap benefits, section 8 housing / rent assistance. Earn money off paper in all your free time if you are so inclined.

Why do you think there is a labor shortage?

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Choice A:
Collect 8.00/hr, pay fica, health benefits. Go home with $45 per day for your labors after a hard day of putting up with peoples bull#.

Choice B:
Sit on your dead ass and collect welfare. Get $25 per day after healthcare benefits, snap benefits, section 8 housing / rent assistance. Earn money off paper in all your free time if you are so inclined.

Why do you think there is a labor shortage?

Don't disagree with anything you have said. I just wish people would embrace the dream of something better than a hand out.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

seems like a no brainer to me

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

same where I live only problem is none of those jobs have good wages, they think $19 an hour is amazing money when in fact its crap in todays world

once you factor in paying for healthcare and basic necessities 19 an hour isn't enough to live on anymore, maybe 10 years ago

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

I have witnessed this first hand in very poor communities. I have lived in some sketchy places. It is bred into some people. They are so complacent not for lack of hope but its what they know and where they fit in. Its like someone who went to prison most of their life and cannot assimilate when they are released so they commit a crime to go back.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

I still have a hard time believing that there are is an declining birth rate issue in some recent countries. Majority of young people especially those from Europe don't have a large interest working in such places as fast foods etc.

Automation will be a massive problem for human societies in the near future. The Globalists believe this will service their agenda yet it would rather be the opposite.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Where I am at, you top out at $24 per hour in 2 years. All the overtime you would want. Midwest is where to live. Cost of living is low as well. It is all about where you live and the cost of living. Illinois residents are leaving en mass because of the high property taxes and coming to Indiana.

We are low for the wage rate as well. Several large manufacturing plants pay 2-3$ per hour more.

edit on 26-12-2018 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2018 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join