It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the DHS telling people to prepare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Why would the DHS put out a warning telling the people to prepare for six months without the Grid, and to get ready immediately? This is pretty unprecedented and wouldn't be done unless they knew something that we do not. As six months of prepping for the average person is ridiculous as many cant afford a burger . What's your guess ?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Got a source that isn't YouTube?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

Got a source that isn't YouTube?

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story said it was a DHS report. The department said it was instead just a draft report of the council. Washington Secrets regrets the error.

www.washingtonexaminer.com...
edit on 11-12-2018 by a325nt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Looks like they've got reasons to suspect the electrical grid will be targeted at some point in the not too distant future.

On a related note, the most prepared group in America are the Mormons. Their church has been telling members to have 6 months supplies on hand at a minimum for some years now.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Mountains out of mole hills.

DHS says Power grids could be a prime target for terrorists.

Be prepared for the eventuality doesn't mean start prepping.

Do you remember after 9/11 when people were wrapping their houses in plastic and duct tape?

That was people being prepared for the eventuality of the threat of terrorist gas attacks.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

The report was published by DHS, but it stemmed from the President's National Infrastructure Advisory Board's findings.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I agree but I also disagree with you here. Being prepared for 6 months without the grid basically does mean to be prepared to be self sufficient for at least 6 months. What I am interested in here is they don't seem to be talking about an EMP attack or a cyber attack, but a physical attack on the grid. To reach the level of destruction they're talking about, 6+ months with tens of millions without power, they must be anticipating an attack of a larger scale than "terrorists" could carry out. The grid is redundant... take out Hoover Dam, for example, and you're not completely blacking out all the folks who presently get their electricity from Hoover Dam. Yes, there would likely be some sort of rationing, but not total blackouts. They're focusing on massively destroyed infrastructure, which tells me they believe it would be a multifaceted attack.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Scare mongering to justify the existence of having a protective government. If the US were not such a holes in foreign policy we would NOT need protection.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So they are preparing for Die Hard 4? The Fire Sale?

Kinda weird.

And for the record, the next Carrington Event is much more plausible than a multi-pronged cyber/munitions attack.

After all, another Carrington event WILL happen.

Just a matter of time.

As opposed to a terrorist attack of that magnitude, as taking down the USA will technically take every other civilized country out within the month as well.

You know, the economics side of it....

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Scare mongering to justify the existence of having a protective government. If the US were not such a holes in foreign policy we would NOT need protection.

Because if our foreign policy was PC then other countries would suddenly become pacifist and benevolent?

Interesting thought process there.
edit on 11-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am glad I have a generator. Thx for the heads up.

ETA.

It is now time to go all out in green energy and cut the risk energy terrorism. Looking at my bill from the electric company, it should pay for itself in no time.
edit on 11-12-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Oh crap, they aren't buying it anymore!

Shut it down, shut it down!

Blame it on the terorists!!!

Scumbags.

The gd grid isn't connected, it's a bunch of different powerplants. So a nationwide powergrid shutdown
has to be organized to happen.

...or they know of a wicked solar event, in which case, disregard my assumption and kiss you a#@es goodbye!

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

If the grid goes out, I'll just Google what to do.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Three months for my entire family...Check. I am sure that if something happened, some of my family would take off to somewhere for a while, I could do maybe the remaining eight left here for six months. Now, We do not have enough gas. bit it is winter now so it will be easier to store frozen foods in the winter. We don't have powdered milk anymore, I should order a few bags of that for emergencies, the old stuff got too old, it was getting an off taste. So we ditched it. It is hard to find good powdered milk around here.

Two years ago, the health department was telling their workers to be prepared with at least a month or more of food in their pantry. The need for stocking food has not gone down. Everyone should have at least enough food to last a month.
edit on 11-12-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I certainly hope it's not dire.

I don't have the means to prep for 6 months.

Might as well tell me to prepare for 6 months of driving by buying a Ferrari.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

"Why is the DHS telling people to prepare"

Because it's only 13 days till Christmas?

edit on 11-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If the grid goes out, I'll just Google what to do.

I got off the grid in 2013...

Just had to say that.

ETA, if the grid goes down you're a state away, just U2U me for directions for you and yours to get here....

Oh wait...

edit on 11-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

So … the DHS is waking up, and telling people to do what they should have already been doing their whole lives?

That is kind of late advice, IMHO

Why?

I guess our preps might be tested sooner rather than later, maybe?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I certainly hope it's not dire.

I don't have the means to prep for 6 months.

Might as well tell me to prepare for 6 months of driving by buying a Ferrari.

It isn't that expensive to start building up supplies. Ten cans of busch's best pork and beans one payday, ten cans of another staple another payday. You can't eat beans all the time, but twenty bucks of those busch's best 28 ounce cans can keep you going for ten days. You won't have to worry about a gas shortage either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join