It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are doomed young people don't know directions

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Every new technology begins as a luxury and is adopted until it becomes a necessity.

We are an extension of our tech. You exist to carry your GPS around, because you are its technology from getting to one place to another.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Face it, humans have begun to be dumber than a box of dumb frogs...

Take away a mobile and suddenly their life implodes, can't work out how to talk to people, can't order anything, can't drive places, can't get on with their social life, can't even make friends...

Nope, that little rectangle has now total control over their whole life and more worrying is that many will then fight you because they don't have their phone..

But here's the wrinkle, I'm 57, I grew up before the start of home computers etc and I've learned their use and attractions BUT I also used my common sense to not allow them to control me...

This isn't an old guy moaning about the new fangled technology, hell I was there when we got in to all this as a home item and I've kept up with it and fully understand it all but I still want to talk to real people, chat with them face to face where possible and I love a wander around to a shop to look at stuff. Sure, retailers are folding in vavour of this new tech but its still possible to go to the supermarket and pick up your own stuff, its still possible to go to shops before buying a TV to see it in the flesh EVEN if you plan to buy it online for the saving..

I hate this notion that if anyone my age moans about new technology that its because we are dumb old people who don't have a clue...

I DO!!

I just don't want to become 'institutionalised' so that I believe its the only way to live, I want to drive down an unknown turning to see where it goes with damn GPS, the learning is the fun bit. I just read a map, remember the roads and drive to the place, no gps, no mobile phone installed either in the car or me carrying one...I don't like them. I use tech when its useful..
edit on 12-11-2018 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I get you, guys. I really do. But why are we blaming the kids?

They can't afford £700 iPhones if they're at school for six hours a day, five days a week. And since we all love to moan about how the school system is failing them (while simultaneously blaming them for being "miseducated" in the first place), it's not like they're the ones who built and programmed these infernal devices.

But I don't know what I'm talking about. I mean, I'm only 27 and basically live in a country park with abysmal reception.

The younger residents in my area definitely know how to get around without GPS. They wouldn't be able to leave their houses otherwise.

Likewise, so did the other millennials my age during my stint in Vancouver. But nuance is as dead as spatial awareness these days, I suppose.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloro
Young people are as smart and educated as the generation before them taught them to be.
If you want to "blame" someone, blame their parents.

That would be fair to say but parents just cannot beat peer pressure and millions of dollars and savvy psychologists working to get your child's attention no matter what. You can raise kids to be as reluctant to rely on tech as you wish but the second they are exposed to television, YouTube, or other children, they will want to fit in as much as any other generation and for this generation that means a social life confined 100% to the phone. See the streets five minutes after school? Ghost towns where up thru generation x and every one before it for thousands of years I am sure, kids frolicked kids played kids made secret clubs boys got dirty girls hung out n gossiped or the more adventurous of em pony tailed their hair and got dirty and caught bugs with the boys. I can't even tell you all the fun we had outaide exploring the world learning how it worked as we went along and socialization like that produced lifelong friends Facebook can't even come close to. But companies and other kids will get them focused on their anticulture tech unless you join a breakaway civilization which I would do in a sefond. Mmm imagine a place it's 1988 or 91 again.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I can understand your amazement with them seemingly being so reliant on technology, but don't discount the possibility that they have a spatial awareness issue that was concealed when technology was available to help them with directions.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Millennials are not taught script anymore.

Want to laugh. Ask one for their signature.

In elementary schools you get to see all the work in the halls. The only ones you ever see in script are from the Asian students.

Their dedication to school is off the charts.

Then You have some groups on the total opposite side of the spectrum who refuse to learn the English language.
Out of all the languages that comes to the u.s. , the gov had to translate for one really stubborn one.

That is a clear double standard and why some groups will never be accepted. Pampering some groups only gets the rest pissed off

edit on 13-11-2018 by Bloodworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

In elementary schools you get to see all the work in the halls. The only ones you ever see in script are from the Asian students.
Then You have some groups on the total opposite side of the spectrum who refuse to learn the English language.
Out of all the languages that comes to the u.s. , the gov had to translate for one really stubborn one.
That is a clear double standard and why some groups will never be accepted. Pampering some groups only gets the rest pissed off

Asian Dedication? Haaaaa it is more like fear of death from parents. I'm Asians and I'm not joking. I've heard friends parents tell them that if they did not bring A's home they would kill them. We seriously believe them too.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: verschickter

Being aware of your surroundings and relationship to them is important? Nonsense.

Everything you need to know is right there in your palm. And you never need be bored either. Games galore! Waiting for a bus. Waiting for the light to change. No need to think your own thoughts. Continuous entertainment.

i leave my phone at home. some people i know have their phone with them all day every day. i can't stand these things. if i didn't need them to make calls or an occasional text i'd not own one. it drives me crazy when i'm sitting with a friend for coffee and they focus most of the time looking at their phone.

i always have a feeling that the phone is listening to us.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Bloodworth

Asian Dedication? Haaaaa it is more like fear of death from parents. I'm Asians and I'm not joking. I've heard friends parents tell them that if they did not bring A's home they would kill them. We seriously believe them too.

Lol

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I do a lot of research on google maps then program my GPS to guide me to the target.

Out in the calif desert i get within 10 feet most of the time.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: subfab

IMHO rude and if you don´t like it, you should say something. I don´t go out to dinner with a friend only to have him check his phone every two minutes during conversation.

Luckily, that only happened once and we decided not to ask him to be the patron for the grandchild/my daughters child, in the last moments. It gave the impression that he didn´t want to be there at that moment, and giving "ah"s while you lead up the conversation to a very important question, didn´t help either.

So we did not even ask, later we heard that he was pissed because we choose someone who actually has interest about the childs wellbeing, if something happens to the mother.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I'm ashamed to admit my youngest brother can't do this. He is eighteen. I tried to show him but his answer was, "Why bother when there are digital clocks everywhere?"

I can't imagine being eighteen and looking up at say Big Ben and being completely baffled.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

“In view of the civilian usage of GPS, jamming of this sort is dangerous, disruptive and irresponsible,” she added.

You don't say !

Russia jammed GPS during major NATO military exercise with US troops

Well kids it won't take an EMP it seems

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Baby boomers are sadistic. Their kids are mentally ill cuz they waited til they were barren to procreate, so when they don't know whether to turn left or right exiting the driveway on their way to school, which they've been to literally thousands of times, what does the boomer do? They laugh about it. Kid wets the bed at 14? Oh just laugh.

And any boomer who had healthy kids, birthed at the appropriate age, the few boomers who weren't too busy with their fake careers that existed only for them, they spend grandparenthood trying their damndest to undermine their gen x offspring, making sure their children see grandpa as authority and dad as some silly weirdo, so they can live out their sick fantasy robbed from them by birthing the last mentally sound generation on earth.

Want to know when the world ends? When all of generation x is gone. And the boomers will be down in hell laughing at all the lost millenial destined for purgatory.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
My youngest was born with a built in GPS system.
When he was three we went to visit my cousin who had recently moved to my area. She was about thirty miles away on highway driving.
About four months later we were going to my cousins house again. We had gotten directions for the first trip there but we didn't have them for this second trip. You know guys.... I dont need directions I'm an eagle.
Anyway we got off the right exit but immediately we were stumped on which direction to turn.
The little guy in the car seat behind us said go that way Daddy and pointed to the left. Then he proceeded to tell us every turn to my cousins house. And he didn't make any mistakes. I was shaking my head in amazement. How.... he's three and only went there once before. I didn't even know he was paying attention to where we were going.
He is twenty three now and his friends call him the atlas.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Prene

they waited til they were barren to procreate,

WHAT????

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
And I think that all the same, we are moving forward. Time does not stand still, do not regret anything. Need to hope for the best.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join