It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly apologizes for praising 'racist' Winston Churchill" - WaPo

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Butterfinger
Yes, he was well-known for his alliance with the racist Adolf Hitler.

Alliance like during the bombing raid on each other's countries?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Shhhh....

The left gets to pick and chose which historical figures we can shame

They like Ghandi so we aren’t allowed to look at his feelings in other races

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Exactly

Fun facts;

Everyone in history is racist is one way or another.

The further back you go, the deeper it gets.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
what an epic Arse weasel...

Its a good appropriate quote, zero reason to apologize for it just because the quoted person had some extreme views, should have told the trolls to go pound sand.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I wish we had more leaders like Churchill today.
These stupid progressive fools would be either never born, dead or living under Nazi rule if it were not for men like Churchill.
They literally owe him (and others) their very existence, yet here they are crying racist again.
I think they finally managed to make racism ok. I mean if it's used to describe Winston Churchill, then racism is good, right?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Nobody could ever be a great leader and a wet blanket at the same time. The whole reason that some people are leaders is that they do what needs to be done. It will always help some and harm others. It's like maths, can't be changed.

The limp-wristed SJWs probably think that someone who accepts everything with a smile and watches their country burn around them and their own people getting shafted is a great leader. Well they are not.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The real question is what do Kanye and Taylor Swift thing about this?

Seems fairly obvious that Winston Churchill was a bigot and so was Gandhi. Also, Gandhi was a creepy freak and Churchill a warmonger.

What's the controversy?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Shhhh....

Be like this;

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I know people were wronged. But it was a completely different time. Attitudes weren’t the same. Comparing the 1940s to our day and age . Is like comparing the beliefs during the inquisition to the beliefs of the Jehovah witnesses.

Do you think the founding fathers should be completely erased from history ? They were racist and some owned slaves .

Not only do we need good Civics classes restored to the public school curriculum, but History needs to be restored to facts and what the norms and accepted views of the times were.

We cannot constantly apply today's perspective to History, or every monument, tradition, and lesson will be destroyed. Judging people and events by today's standards does great injustice to real people making hard decisions during their time and place.

Just as slavery is appalling today, abortion will be appalling in future generations. Should we castrate or obliterate the abortion policy makers of today at some future time? Will we look at someone today now in public service and relegate everything they may have done good to the dust bin because they once advocated strongly for abortion?

Scott Kelly wimped out and took the apologetic route instead.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Speaking as a British person I recognise and admire Churchill for what he did in 1940. He did not let us give up, he led this country to victory in the Battle of Britain and then beyond that to final victory in 1945. Speaking as a historian however I also had to admit that he was a man of his time, who espoused some pretty unpleasant beliefs, especially in terms of race relations. I also admit that there were times when he was flat-out wrong (Greece, Rhodes campaign, Bengal famine, Dardanelles), so we have to take a balanced view of the man.
Don't insult Kelly in other words. Churchill's flaws can be pointed out at the same time as his shining moments of heroism.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Alliance like during the bombing raid on each other's countries?

I was being ironic, of course. Sorry, I should have signalled that.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
The real question is what do Kanye and Taylor Swift thing about this?

Seems fairly obvious that Winston Churchill was a bigot and so was Gandhi. Also, Gandhi was a creepy freak and Churchill a warmonger.

What's the controversy?

That an astronaut would feel the need to apologize for quoting either. If anything its a post bemoaning the emasculation of a hero I met as a kid.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Your right there isn’t one. The astronaut didn’t have to apologize and it’s serving to sow more division.

a reply to: theantediluvian

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

That an astronaut would feel the need to apologize for quoting either. If anything its a post bemoaning the emasculation of a hero I met as a kid.

Well, that's an opinion.

Here I thought the new right was all "red pilled" or whatever? (which never ceases to be ironic to me considering it's a meme originating with a trans woman and her brother) Yet it seems to me that you're letting political correctness get in the way of acknowledging objective reality.

And since when is it manly to be ignorant?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Shhhh....

They like Ghandi so we aren’t allowed to look at his feelings in other races

not quite

Racist' Gandhi statue banished from Ghana university campus

Opponents of the statue in Ghana quoted several of Gandhi’s early writings in which he referred to black South Africans as “kaffirs” – a highly offensive racist slur – and complained that the South African government wanted to “drag down” Indians to the same level as people he called “half-heathen natives”.

statues were being taken down in 2003 before it was cool... yes , actual Africans (not American racial-vanity proponents) took down and denounced Gandhi's racist views against blacks.

his views surprisingly, became different once he broke away from white british colonials in south Africa after he was done practicing as a lawyer... go figure....

edit on 9-10-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

As an historian;
What about Gandhi?

Can we apply the same principle to him?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

As an historian;
What about Gandhi?

Can we apply the same principle to him?

As a historian, don't get me started about Gandhi. His "Oh the Japanese will just go away if we get the British to leave!" belief is just... insane.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
we all and this is especially true for SJWs, liberals and democrats, need to remember one simple fact. and that is that EVERYONE[i] is biased (of which racism is a part), it is just part of being human (or animal for that matter). and that pretty much everyone was much more biased in the past. it is NOT just "white people". black people are just as racist and biased as anyone else. in fact it seems that today that they are more so at least in North America than many others. seriously everything seems to be about race with many of them.

but that's not all. in fact i have always thought it would have been interesting had the axis powers won ww2. i mean just how long do you think two master races could have gotten along with each other? everyone "knows" that the Nazi Germans were racist. but in yet another bit of the whitewashing of history, most people do not know that the Japanese were every bit as racist and felt themselves the master race, if not possibly even more so.but they didn't concentrate on murdering Jews, just other Asians, so they got a pass in history. and guess what the Japanese as a people are still just as racist against other races, still believing they are the master race. although just like their hiding and burying of emotions to others they do try to hide that rather well, well of course that is if you are one of the white races, other Asian races not so much.

then of course are the Germans of the ww2 era. like i said pretty much everyone knows that they were racist, especially against the Jews. but yet again due to the whitewashing of history, people forget or don't know that prety much every other European country as well as the US were every bit as rasist towards the Jews. in fact before ww1 and then the rise of the Nazi party, the fact is that Germany was actually one of the best places you could be if you were a Jew. because they were at least tolerated, just like in the US. tolerated, but not really accepted. in fact people might recall that there was really only ONE country on the planet that was rather willing to take in Jews trying to escape from Germany. that country being the Philippines, whith the help of some higher ranking US officials. they brought 1,200 Jews into the country to save them from the Germans. they wanted to bring in many more. but unfortunately the Japanese invaded before they could do so. in fact in the US Jews were treated rather like the Irish, Chinese and black people had been treated in the past. being excluded from many places based on their racial heratage. no blacks allowed, no Jews allowed, no Chinese allowed, no Irish allowed were all real things in the US.

and Europeans and North Americans not have anywhere near a monopoly of being racist. the Japanese were and are racist against other races. the Chines are racists angainst not only non Chinese, but even against some of the Chinese. just like the Indians are racist against other races, but also against diferant groups of Indians. heck most of Asia is racist against everyone else, each group thinking they are the master race with everyone else below them. the Russians have always had racism in their lands. even going so far as to play mix and match settling to help deal with those they found benieth themselves. and they were killing Jews for being Jews long before the Germans. diferant groups in Africa are racist against other African groups. and i would hope most people know that Racisim is flourishing in the Middle East. heck they are still trying to exterminate each other based on both race and what versian of islam they follow.

in fact it would be almost impossible to find ANY leader in history, great or otherwise who can not be found to be racisists. because the simple fact is, is that racisim is and has been a part of every society in history. seriously he should not have appologized when the simple fact is that there is nothing to apologise about. nobody in history can be said not to be tainted with racisim.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Their plan is simple. They want to erase history by representing it as evil. Then they can teach only one narrative in schools and that’s their narrative.

I think they’re going to get away with it and in the near future they will dominate DC until they break it.

My opinion might not be popular but I think things are going to get worse until it gets better.

But we’ve got a chance because we have two arrows left in our quiver .

Donald Trump who can wake the conservatives up and the conservative Supreme Court that can strike down some of their nonsense that will be coming .

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: queenofswords

Their plan is simple. They want to erase history by representing it as evil. Then they can teach only one narrative in schools and that’s their narrative.

I think they’re going to get away with it and in the near future they will dominate DC until they break it.

My opinion might not be popular but I think things are going to get worse until it gets better.

But we’ve got a chance because we have two arrows left in our quiver .

Donald Trump who can wake the conservatives up and the conservative Supreme Court that can strike down some of their nonsense that will be coming .

(Facepalm)
Poppycock.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join