It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly apologizes for praising 'racist' Winston Churchill" - WaPo

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Not so much ignore, as they are completely ignorant of it.

Yes, that's probably more accurate.

But the academics who write the history books and who determine The National Curriculum will be more than aware.

That's not taught here in the States, at all, in public school. Or in private, I'm sure.

Its not taught in UK schools as well
As with most things, one has to scratch the surface to reveal the truth.

edit on 9/10/18 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

See page 1 my opinion about Churchill.

You seem to be claiming they didn’t tear down Confederate statues and want to get rid of the rebel battle flag ? ( they claim it is racist )

Or are you saying they don’t want the second amendment abolished? ( guns are evil )

Maybe you’re talking about the movement to get rid of the electoral college. ( because it’s not fair)

You might be talking about censoring the first amendment because they don’t like certain words ? ( Hurt feelings are more important than historical norms )

Possibly you were saying they don’t want to change the name of Columbus Day ?

How about wanting to get rid of the word Christmas ?

That’s just off the top of my head and every one of those points is a part of history .

Poppycock?

Thank you for your commentary on American history from London .

Edit:

I just re-read this post and it might’ve sounded a little sharp. It wasn’t meant to my grammar hinders my response sometimes. Sorry .

(Sigh)
I know why the Confederate statues were erected and it was not for any benign purpose, it was to underline Jim Crow laws in Southern States. It's time to tear them down. Oh and the rebel battle flag is racist and to deny otherwise is deeply disingenuous. The Confederacy was built on racism (Cornerstone speech anyone?) and there is no point denying it. Pulling down statues to traitors and wanting to ban the flag of traitors is not something that I have a problem with - and I speak as someone who is married to an American who could join the Daughters of the American Revolution if she wanted to.
I don't think that asking for common sense gun laws (and given that your country has black, brown and grizzly bears, cougars, mountain lions, coyotes, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes and the occasional insane moose, you need guns) is a bad thing, nor do I think that anyone at all is talking about abolishing the word 'Christmas'. What I do see is a great deal of ridiculous Faux-News inspired poppycock.
Returning to WSC, the man was brilliant, charismatic - and had his flaws. He was a man of his time.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

But the academics who write the history books and who determine The National Curriculum will be more than aware.

That's probably true enough. How could they not be? I am, and I'm hardly an expert on Ghandi.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I know why the Confederate statues were erected and it was not for any benign purpose, it was to underline Jim Crow laws in Southern States.

Proof?

We have civil war veterans till the 1950's can you point out which statues were put up with racist intentions and which werent? Or will you just cop out and say everyone in the south during this time period were horribly racist people, like so many do now a days.

I don't think that asking for common sense gun laws

What pray tell is common sense gun laws... to the best ofmy knowledge we already have common sense laws regarding firearms, I have yet to see a single gun law proposed under the "common sense" mantra that would stop a wannabe mass shooter.

edit on 9-10-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: Fallingdown

See page 1 my opinion about Churchill.

You seem to be claiming they didn’t tear down Confederate statues and want to get rid of the rebel battle flag ? ( they claim it is racist )

Or are you saying they don’t want the second amendment abolished? ( guns are evil )

Maybe you’re talking about the movement to get rid of the electoral college. ( because it’s not fair)

You might be talking about censoring the first amendment because they don’t like certain words ? ( Hurt feelings are more important than historical norms )

Possibly you were saying they don’t want to change the name of Columbus Day ?

How about wanting to get rid of the word Christmas ?

That’s just off the top of my head and every one of those points is a part of history .

Poppycock?

Thank you for your commentary on American history from London .

Edit:

I just re-read this post and it might’ve sounded a little sharp. It wasn’t meant to my grammar hinders my response sometimes. Sorry .

(Sigh)
I know why the Confederate statues were erected and it was not for any benign purpose, it was to underline Jim Crow laws in Southern States. It's time to tear them down. Oh and the rebel battle flag is racist and to deny otherwise is deeply disingenuous. The Confederacy was built on racism (Cornerstone speech anyone?) and there is no point denying it. Pulling down statues to traitors and wanting to ban the flag of traitors is not something that I have a problem with - and I speak as someone who is married to an American who could join the Daughters of the American Revolution if she wanted to.
I don't think that asking for common sense gun laws (and given that your country has black, brown and grizzly bears, cougars, mountain lions, coyotes, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes and the occasional insane moose, you need guns) is a bad thing, nor do I think that anyone at all is talking about abolishing the word 'Christmas'. What I do see is a great deal of ridiculous Faux-News inspired poppycock.
Returning to WSC, the man was brilliant, charismatic - and had his flaws. He was a man of his time.

Well..We see who has become NPC Wojak now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join