It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly apologizes for praising 'racist' Winston Churchill" - WaPo

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I admire former slave owners and racists. Not for their racism and spitting on human rights, but for other things they did (its hard to find a mind like Jefferson anywhere else in history). The human rights and racism was the flavor of the times, and it seems dumb to judge based on that.

I'd bet Churchill would have some rather unsavory things to say about modern men, if we are being honest.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Well let’s hear your opinion. Do you have one ?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
"Soy bois on the Internet will always find something to complain about."
-Winston Churchill

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
-Winston Churchill

He said that while drinking a glass of neat scotch. He once punched a soy boi in an upscale bar for ordering one on the rocks.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Well let’s hear your opinion. Do you have one ?

Yes, see page 2. Churchill was a man of his time. Blind adulation of his finer attributes needs to be tempered with recognition of his darker beliefs. We need to take a balanced view of him. As for what you said about the erasure of history - poppycock. Viewing history through blinkers is to only see a part of a whole.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

-Winston Churchill

He said that while drinking a glass of neat scotch. He once punched a soy boi in an upscale bar for ordering one on the rocks.

Who wouldn't?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

-Winston Churchill

Who wouldn't?

Excellent question, it is actually a great fascism test. That's how they spotted German spies in WWII.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

There is no room for balanced views. It's deification or bust.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
once up on a time captain kelly had fooking huge ballls of steel ............... somewhere along the line - he lost them ...............a sad tail

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

See page 1 my opinion about Churchill.

You seem to be claiming they didn’t tear down Confederate statues and want to get rid of the rebel battle flag ? ( they claim it is racist )

Or are you saying they don’t want the second amendment abolished? ( guns are evil )

Maybe you’re talking about the movement to get rid of the electoral college. ( because it’s not fair)

You might be talking about censoring the first amendment because they don’t like certain words ? ( Hurt feelings are more important than historical norms )

Possibly you were saying they don’t want to change the name of Columbus Day ?

How about wanting to get rid of the word Christmas ?

That’s just off the top of my head and every one of those points is a part of history .

Poppycock?

Thank you for your commentary on American history from London .

Edit:

I just re-read this post and it might’ve sounded a little sharp. It wasn’t meant to my grammar hinders my response sometimes. Sorry .

edit on 9-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I can't find anything he said there which I'd have disagreed with in that era, frankly. Different times harbor different views and only a shortsighted fool judges history through a modern lens.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Twitter, the true face of today's liberal.

I despise Twitter. I have tried to go on there but it is literally the whiney pit as I call it. Everyone is outraged over something ridiculous or they are offended by everything. I really do not like Twitter at all.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Churchill was a eugenicist too. Yep. Just like Margaret Sanger.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So then we shouldnt judge the quality of cave paintings by comparing them with modern cinematic special effects that cost one million dollars per minute to produce?

You must be the life of the party!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
You must be the life of the party!

I am the party.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

David Lee Roth fan are ya?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Nazi rocket science led to American Astronauts venturing into space and eventually walking on the moon.

So the irony here is that Scott Kelly, indirectly, has Adolf Hitler to thank for being in a position to quote Sir Winston Churchill. Which I guess to all those PC obsessives should make his comments even more odious if they only knew!

edit on 9/10/2018 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

It's the way of the world. Ignore the fact that without him we'd almost all be speaking German because most countries were looking to surrender or make "peace deals" with Germany and Hitler, forget that he rallied people into fighting for their countries let's just take what was then "normal" trains of thought and attack anyone who dares quote him. Ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Not so much ignore, as they are completely ignorant of it.

That's not taught here in the States, at all, in public school. Or in private, I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Fallingdown
I’ll just let the man speak for himself .

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life ”

Winston Churchill

"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

Winston Churchill-

on gassing people

Poison gas

Churchill has been criticised for advocating the use of chemical weapons - primarily against Kurds and Afghans.

"I cannot understand this squeamishness about the use of gas," he wrote in a memo during his role as minister for war and air in 1919.

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes," he continued.

on Gandhi
on peaceful fasting protest

"It is alarming and nauseating to see Mr Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir… striding half-naked up the steps of the Vice-regal Palace," Churchill said of his anti-colonialist adversary in 1931.

"Gandhi should not be released on the account of a mere threat of fasting," Churchill told the cabinet on another occasion. "We should be rid of a bad man and an enemy of the Empire if he died."

churchill simply rose to power because the combined western nations sought to rid a similar man with similar views who was on the enemy's side.

Oh nice. Now, where do these quotes come from and how can we know their veracity?

<< 1  2    4 >>

join