It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Michael May Hit Pan Handle

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Harvey came through near me but the rain was much farther east so we didn't have to deal with as much rain.

Family in Houston took a big hit though.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Ill freely admit I was wrong on this one.

Hope not to many people ignored the get out order because of all the storm of the century fatigue.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Anyone seeing claims that there is a significant disconnect between wind speeds being reported by the MSM and NHC/NOAA, and what is being observed by people attacking close to and sometimes right at where the world be 140mph+ speeds? I'm seeing the claims in multiple locations from folks not prone to hyperbole.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hopefully this will be the last storm this year. Stay safe everyone.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I hope it is going well for them, people lose everything. That's why Abrams and Cantore P me off with their "excitement"
Where I live we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes but, 4 years ago my sister and brother in law had a house fire that they are still recovering from financially and emotionally.
edit on 10-10-2018 by Sabrechucker because: typo

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

People should not rely so much on "reporting/forecasting" go with your gut, it will tell you when it's time to go.
you weren't wrong, you just weren't right

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

I haven't seen that, are they saying the winds we're stronger than reported or weaker?

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

It will take weeks or longer before the NHC issues their final assessment.

Tomorrow when we see what happened to Mexico Beach, Port St. Joe and surrounding area. That will give us a better idea of how strong the worst part was.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I wasn't buying into a 140 mph wind 20+ miles inland, at least a ground level.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I don't understand how they come up with "sustained" winds. I would think the only real measure would be the constantly changing gusts. It all seems to variable to say for hours on end that their is a sustained wind speed

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

In Australia they use gusts to measure the strength of their cyclones...maybe it is a better way to estimate strength.

The problem with getting actual observations on the ground is the anemometers fail with 100mph wind gust. Every observed 100mph+ gust in this storm was right before the instrument failed.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I wasn't buying into a 140 mph wind 20+ miles inland, at least a ground level.

It's absolutely possible for high gusts, but I wouldn't necessarily think the storm's main sustained winds were that high, that far inland after landfall. I could be mistaken, however, it's already an outlier storm ruffling expectation feathers as it is. If it maintained it's strength, 140 MPH is indeed possible for main winds. Remember, this is a coastal plain, very low ground barely above sea level, without much in the way to hinder a storm. It ain't Cuba's or Hispanola's mountains.
edit on 10/10/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Well That seems like some flawed science

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Wish anyone impacted the best!

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So they say, at the coast, they measured a gust at 130, at two places, a few lower ones. But one was at 3x the normal height for a measurement (air force base). That is why I questioned a 140 mph gust many miles inland.

Questionable reporting, IMO, but who knows.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   

That first image sends chills down my spine.

I know a bit about meteorology and the smaller the eye, the stronger the storm. I've been through a category 5 and trust me...this is gonna hurt.

I hope those who chose to stay are well supplied and protected. In my experience pine trees weren't just uprooted, they were snapped in half, their girth was about twelve feet and three stories high.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I can't imagine being in a cat-5 hurricane. This was pretty bad apparently. Panama City And Mexico Beach Florida we're hit hard. I Don't think some areas are even reachable yet.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I just chatted with a friend who is a storm chaser, he rode it out in Port St. Joe. He says the damage is incredible.

Here is the facebook site he is on:

m.facebook.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Just seen on the news claims of whole blocks being washed away with just stumps visible. Only a couple of days ago they were interviewing a guy who was debating whether or not to go to a beach bar hurricane party to ride it out...........yeah........

Lets hope that people really weren't that stupid or the death toll will be much higher.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I think the media is downplaying how severe this was. From what I've seen and heard (not being there) this looks devastating.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join