It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wonder if you realize....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I wonder if a short but important English lesson might be in order?

I know it's hard to believe but there is a real difference between "there" "their" and "they're"

also

"your" and "you're" are not interchangeable and the meaning of your thread or post depends on it.

Hope this helps....

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Witch words due they get wrong most often?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The new rule is "spell as you pronounce", which makes it unlikely that any of those distinctions will survive.
This is the generation which gives permission and denies permission in exactly the same words; "You can do that!"

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
No, it doesn't help. In fact, it's pedantic. Either people are ignorant, or they don't care, or both. Some consider it a badge of honor because, you know, the message is obvious and the more important issue. It may make them look bad, but they don't even know it.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yes, I know they're different.

There - a place or location

Their - group possessive

They're - contraction of they are

Your - possessive form of you, belonging to you

You're - contraction of you are

The problem I often have is that after a day of work in which I have to correct them multiple times in random fashion because most people use them interchangeably, I pick up bad habits.

I consider this an informal forum, so I don't always catch when I use one incorrectly, and sometimes, even when I do, I don't always bother to edit to fix the mistake because I'm not getting paid to do it. Try making grammar Nazi-ing your actual line of work and see how keen you are to police everyone all the time. It always spoils your life because once your "eye" is in ... well, let's just say that what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Also, while we are at it, a proper ellipses only has three periods, not four, and you should use a space between it and the last word.
edit on 3-10-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Fine, you got me. I admit to being one of the biggest offengers of this violation. Weather or knot you want to disagree if nonimportant but I just wanted to clear the heir.

I'll spend the knight working on a remedial to the observation and make corrective action!

Your a gem.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I C how U utilized all them big words ... bigly.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
since they are spoken the same way and you understand them based on context there is no reason, if the context is clear to really worry too much. The key is to communicate clearly and while that sometimes can be a distraction causing a failure to get your point across it often is not.

Now for me English is like a second language. (I do not have a primary one, nor do I speak other languages)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Reed, lurn, a ply.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Their isn't anything, that anyone, could teach me about spelling or grammer.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
No, it doesn't help. In fact, it's pedantic. Either people are ignorant, or they don't care, or both. Some consider it a badge of honor because, you know, the message is obvious and the more important issue. It may make them look bad, but they don't even know it.

I’m dyslexic my spelling and grammar suck. But my reading and comprehension are excellent. I can stand toe to toe with anyone on just about any argument.

Because of my hard time spelling I use voice dictation. Which kind of gives you potluck on the words listed above .

I’ve also found my disabilities give me an edge in an argument. The prim and proper College educated types. Immediately think you’re an imbecile if you don’t use proper English .

It doesn’t take them long to see they were wrong with that assumption .

Moderator on another form summed it up nicely.

“ he’s dyslexic not dumb “
edit on 3-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I know it's hard to believe but there is a real difference between "there" "their" and "they're"

also

"your" and "you're" are not interchangeable and the meaning of your thread or post depends on it.

Hope this helps....

To ( expressing motion in the direction of a particular location;identifying the person or thing affected.)
Too ( in addition; also, as well)

I don't get bothered by misuse because, i absolutely suck at punctuation.

edit on 3-10-2018 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

So, lure them into a false sense of security, with incorrect grammar... Then strike!

Nice...

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

also

Hope this helps....

Totally agree

It's a huge bugbear that i never bring up
i'm not a "grammar nazi", far from it ...

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

You forgot two - the number.

I see that one mixed up in there also, believe it or not.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Lol

It’s less of a lure on my part that a assumption on ‘their’ part . < ( look I got that one right )

But yes it does have its benefits .

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Your post reminds me of another one that the OP might want to nitpick over:

It's - contraction of it and is

Its - possessive form of it

Oh, and you got it entirely right, but I see those two mixed up a lot, so seeing "it's" brought it to mind.

edit on 3-10-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: carlncarl
since they are spoken the same way and you understand them based on context there is no reason, if the context is clear to really worry too much. The key is to communicate clearly and while that sometimes can be a distraction causing a failure to get your point across it often is not.

Now for me English is like a second language. (I do not have a primary one, nor do I speak other languages)

Spoken English and written English are not the same
Far from it

The examples given in the OP highlight the differences between the spoken and the written form
(there are sooo many more...)

The words may all 'sound' the same when spoken, and the context is a given
but in the written form they all have specific uses and functions....

I'm really not that much of a grammar Nazi...

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

And of course, you are taking into account that while the majority of people at this forum are English speakers primarily, we do have our English Second Language folks, right?

Anytime you have someone for whom English is a second language, there will be patterns of grammar, punctuation and spelling errors involved.

And that leaves aside certain learning disabilities that also have their mark.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

with incorrect grammar... Then strike!

with incorrect grammar:Then strike!
with incorrect grammar; then think about ordering another coffee
with incorrect grammar, deficient vocabulary, terrible diction and halitosis ...

Punctuation is important too

edit on 3-10-2018 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join