It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI moving towards the unspeakable partnership

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Sorry to drag out an age old question, but in the interest of discovery and progression, it is begged of me. "What is consciousness?"

Just a home grown observation.

If self is fundamentally a two dimensional object of inside and outside. The boundary of self being the surface between inside and outside. The it follows that what is enclosed could be called consciousness.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
Sorry to drag out an age old question, but in the interest of discovery and progression, it is begged of me. "What is consciousness?"

Consciousness is the realization of "I Am". Many religions believe first there was consciousness then there was creation.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

“The second beast was permitted to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship it to be killed.” (Rev 13:15)
Daniel 3:1-6

The creature makes a creature
It will be a horror
That leads to our own undoing
Mankind undone by his own hand
The lawless one will be revealed
Because they refused to love the truth that would save them
Eden revisited
“You shall be as gods”
Believed once again
“In that day you shall surely die”
Spoken once again
Save us, my Lord
From the beast that speaks
But not by your breath of life
But by the breath of death

Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds and men
Isaiah 26:20,21

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

Consciousness is the realization of "I Am". Many religions believe first there was consciousness then there was creation.

When you are asleep you are unconscious and then when you wake up you are conscious.
Can it be proved that the world exists when you are not there (unconscious)?
Maybe you are dreaming

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I've said before that I really don't think it will be that hard to build emotion into a machine. The trick is to not worry about whether the machine is "really" feeling the emotion, or whether it mimics it perfectly. Emotion is created when the person/thing recognizes a need for something and they attempt to fulfill it. A tamogatchi cries when it needs "food" or attention, but it has a very limited input/output structure and no functional body driving it forward for pleasure or pain.

Give it a complex functional body, program in the parameters of its needs and how they can be satisfied, then put in a "dumb" feedback and learning system that allows them to avoid regressive feedback loops. Start with something easy, like an artificial cat, then keep increasing the complexity of its needs to include things like companionship, pride, curiosity and entertainment. Doesn't matter if it's real or not. The result will be the same.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Emotion is created when the person/thing recognizes a need for something and they attempt to fulfill it. .

Well..yes. Emotions and Desire are the same energy; one leads to the other and vice versa.

Give it a complex functional body, program in the parameters of its needs and how they can be satisfied, then put in a "dumb" feedback and learning system that allows them to avoid regressive feedback loops

OK , let's analyse this

So, you give it an objective. Thus it has a yardstick to go by and a purpose. Let's say it is a weapon that can assess the enemy's military capacity (through sensors, etc) and chose which weapon to fire accordingly. That's the kind of AI we have at the moment ; whether military hardware or self-drive car. You then mention complexities such as curiosity and pride. That is also within existing technology. It can ask people how much they earn and upon getting a response it searches its memory to find out how much it earns and , of course, it is programmed to compare the two figures . If it earns less, it throws a punch but if more it taps the guy on the head as if feeling sorry for them. That's curiosity and Pride is it not ?

However, this is not the AI that I was envisaging. I am much more curious about a machine that goes out of control and has a mind of its own.

Have you ever wondered why an engine runs. Sure , any mechanic can explain what happens inside a combustion engine but what is it that holds all the part in balance and working in harmony ? It is not just the engineers's design and craftmanship . There is more.

edit on 2-10-2018 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
When you are asleep you are unconscious and then when you wake up you are conscious.
Can it be proved that the world exists when you are not there (unconscious)?

Good point. Does the world actually exist when you are unconscious ? You could even ask : what is the proof that we physically die ? Just seeing other people die is not a proof that we will die. Can other people exist without us being conscious? Probably not.

However, while in this world of illusion, I will play along and live the dream to the max. The world of illusion also makes it easy to have anything you want and do anything that you can imagine. Even animate a machine

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join