It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

350 Times the Pay for only 50% More Work

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I own and still work for my own plumbing company. Work my ass off. It's gross sometimes. Great money though. Started at 17. 20 years in September. People act like I'm some lazy well off guy who hasn't earned it for some reason. They don't realize all the literal shnit I've dealt with to get here. Grew up poor. Living the semi decent life now. Hopefully I'll be in a nice coastal house such as some of the wiser folk on here when I'm 55. If I live that long. Life expectancy of plumbers isn't the best though. Keeps me in shape at least. I've been making some interesting copper furniture which I'd like to turn into my money maker soon. Tired of the labors of my job. Should have went to college lol
edit on 17-8-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Its known that a great many CEO's display psychopathic behaviour.

Known where?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Before I opened the store I did interior decorating while holding a retail job.
For some reason people thought a creative job required no skills and some (many) balked at my fees. A few tried to get my plan before paying me. I worked on a contract basis. No creativity without a contract . Those folks were left with the ideas in my portfolio but nothing for their space. They could do that with House Beautiful magazine if they just wanted pictures.
I went to school too but there's also imagination and talent involved in decorating. I had to be psychiatrist and counselor to find out their needs sometimes.

My management approach is to make me obsolete.

I train every employee of mine to replace me.

Period.

I have lost some great people in the past couple years, but they went on to become directors themselves.

So I look at it as a success.

I train, I lift, I make good people great.

But skills like mine (and yours) you just don't get from reading a book or attending a seminar.

You have to live it and work it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker

I own and still work for my own plumbing company. Work my ass off. It's gross sometimes. Great money though. Started at 17. 20 years in September. People act like I'm some lazy well off guy who hasn't earned it for some reason. They don't realize all the literal shnit I've dealt with to get here. Grew up poor. Living the semi decent life now. Hopefully I'll be in a nice coastal house such as some of the wiser folk on here when I'm 55. If I live that long. Life expectancy of plumbers isn't the best though. Keeps me in shape at least. I've been making some interesting copper furniture which I'd like to turn into my money maker soon. Tired of the labors of my job. Should have went to college lol

Own it.

You made it, you built it.

Own it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

How about earning it?

I worked in mid-management, and worked cheek by jowl with those oh so evil CEO's, at one time I knew, personally, half a dozen of the leading seafood industry CEO's. Don't anymore, as they're mostly dead from stress, hypertension, and assorted other ailments that are all too common at that level. They were, at most, twenty years older than I was at the time.

Yep, every one of them made serious bank...tens, perhaps 100's, of million a year in salary and perks. As a minion of said evil CEO's for a short time, I saw first hand their working lives.

Get over yourself. Seriously. Get over it. They earned every dime of it. Flying from the fish markets of Japan, to Seattle, to San Francisco, to Oslo, to London, and back. Then they'd spend time on the fishing grounds with the folks catching the fish, most of whom hated them.

Selling their product, never seeing their families, and dying at a fairly young age, all too many of them.

I worked for 'em, and at one time, I might have envied them...no longer. I'm alive, and they're not.

For every evil, money grubbing CEO out there that we hear about on the news and who gets gleefully crucified, all too often deservedly, by us--there are thousands of others who work themselves into divorce, illness, and an early grave to provide products that clueless critics want to buy.

Your idea, if one can actually use such a term for what you proposed, would have the instant effect of stifling incentive. That young kid fresh out of college, or in my case, off the fishing fleet, would have no reason to put themselves forward.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Preach.

BS, MS, MBA (in progress), 13 professional certifications.

In less than 10 years I've gone from working at help desk to advising countries on information security policy. I routinely consult C level clients that if I laid out the names here the majority of folks would recognize. I'm just getting started with some serious aspirations in mind for the next 5-10 years, whereas some of my old colleagues are still working the same jobs for the same people and have done nothing else. I do my absolute best to try and spot the next generation and help to mentor and train them up, so yeah when I'm a partner or running my own firm I'll have earned every last bit of what I make. I wasn't born rich, heck I make more than both of my parents and my wife's parents combined ever have in their lives.

The opportunities are out there for those with enough fortitude to go for them.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Congrats!

Sweat equity brother. That's what it takes.

If you "pay your dues" then by god! get the damned rewards!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Who decides CEO pay?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The kind of incentive your ego needs, signifies the greed of your ego and nothing else - I am important, I need multiple houses, multiple cars, to live a life of excess regardless the people begging for food in this world. With that kind of thinking we end up with companies like the tobacco industries, companies like monsanto, that kill rather than reward society. Greed is everything, nothing else is a concern.

The world cannot continue on its present course. Countries are relying on debt to continue with excesses that the world can no longer afford. Either the poorer will have to do without food or the richer without excesses. They are the only two options.

edit on 17-8-2018 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I would like to analyze the raw data and not just accept someone else's conclusions.

Give me a list of the companies they followed.
Let's see the average pay of the employees of those companies.

Exxon and Dow Corning have high paid ceo's but their employees make good money too.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: xuenchen

Because we exist in a corporatocracy ruled by the 0.7% that won't let it happen.

And what would you do with these corporocrats if you had the power?

How would you harness them so this never happens ever again?

😨

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

"Research conducted by forensic psychologist Nathan Brooks from Bond University found 21 per cent of 261 corporated professionals had clinically significant psychopathic traits." here

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

My management approach is to make me obsolete.

I train every employee of mine to replace me.

Period.

Absolutely!!

Every single person I've ever trained, I wanted them to be better than me. To work harder. Faster. ...and, most of all, smarter, than me.

It's one of the reasons I got noticed. My dept. got more done, with less, than any of the others. Because I made damn sure that every one of my guys and gals could do every job in the place. None of it was rocket science, but it was damned hard work that had to be done right the first time, every time. Quite literally, millions of dollar depended upon it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

...and?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

My management approach has always been, "I'm not the smartest person in the room".

I'm the boss, but that doesn't mean I know everything.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

and what? someone asked for source!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

If the CEO is the owner of the company then God Bless him/her.
Business owners take a pretty big risk starting at business and no one should be there holding their hand out saying 'give me.'
edit on 17-8-2018 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Rodger that. I dont hate the top dawgs, and i feel most do out of jealousy. Gotta go.. someone can't poop. Hell of a way to spend my fleeting youth. Enjoy the spoils of self determination and hard work. I will eventually.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join