It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

43% of Republicans say Trump should be allowed to shut down media

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: trustmeimdoctor

I have to agree with much of the "fake news" when they have proven time and time again how mentally unstable Trump really is. You have to be blind and completely party biased when day after day the "fake news" has proven their case with numerous video recordings showing Trump's contradictions on issues, lies, bigotry, treasonous statements, immoral behavior, narcissistic personality, unprecedented cabinet firings, ignoring his own swamp and the list goes on and on.

The "fake news" actually are the ones who forced me to support and vote for Trump. Many of those numerous video clips that they showed cemented my confirmation that they were biasly spinning the truth. Time and time again, when I had watch his actual unedited speech, live or recorded, it did not match with the spin I would see touted as truth by the media!

It is unfortunate that you simply accepted the piecemeal of truth offered at the door to satisfy your hunger for truth. I found it more filling to take the time to fill my belly with the whole buffet.

It's rather sad to think republicans can simply ignore these dangerous traits which is continually dividing this country. Your personal attack on me thinking I'm a liberal just because I'm pointing out facts about this president is proof of this. Democrats and Republicans are supposed to work together for the benefit of the country. Instead this president comes out everyday attacking democrats instead of working together to find common ground. The statement about America has never rung more true than it does today... "United we Stand, Divided we Fall."

Early in Trump's presidency, he did try diligently to unite the partisan bickering. Big example was attempting to get both sides on board for DACA. He attempted to find common ground. Unfortunately, the democrats did not seem to want to unite, that would have been too big of a win for Trump. The division in our country is not R vs D...it is currently, D and R vs Trump and anyone who does not agree exactly with their non-negotiable views. Negotiating is what unites all...until everyone realizes that...we will have more and more divisions from our elected officials on down throughout the citizenry!

We all need to become a team America...stay positive and focused and make use of everyone's best abilities and ideas to ensure we all can enjoy reaching set goals! That is a compromised and successful win for all!

Edit add: I don't agree with anyone banning or censoring. I much rather be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Crazy and looney conspiracy theories, opinions, or news often show themselves lacking in time. I rather not have a nanny state make my decisions for me irregardless if they have a R, D, I, or any other association.
edit on 8 8 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Particularly under the previous administration

What? What media company did Obama shut down? Are you crazy?

Republicans, however would gladly do it as this article proves, Trump supporters are definitely fascists, as if there were any doubt of that.

If you honestly don't know, you have no business throwing your constant hissy fit over Trump. Obama went after FOX and AP reporters.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Under Obama, the Justice Department subpoenaed the telephone records of AP journalists as investigators pursued a leak.

It also went after Fox News reporter James Rosen and named him as a "co-conspirator" in a leak about North Korea's nuclear program.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: neutronflux

Oh is Senator Murphy 43% of the Democratic party? Boy he must be a fatty.

And no, the thread is right wing tripe as usual.

As you were.

Show where he was called out for an attack on free speech by the Democratic Party. Then the Democratic Party usings the 13 rules for radicals to demonize opposition instead of using intellectual debate? Then liberals are the ones that first tried to attack free speech with wanting the power to label what is fake. Funny to watch Trump highjack the ploy. And the Democratic Party wants to pass legislation that will dictate to what extent private companies can air what views for dictated amount of time?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Then you must be one of the 1%ers with a place allocated in some government DUMB because there is no escaping the reality of the world or what is to come.

It's in the post and 99% of us are not going to be happy little bunny rabbits.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Like to state the sample size? Are these verified Republicans, or just people that claim they aline with republicans? Who was they study by? What areas were the people polled from?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

This is what I've been seeing reading the first page. I find it disturbing that people are AoK with this as long as it's their side that benefits because the other guys do it. Not one thought that it's WRONG!!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I don't know why people care so much about what CNN says. People put CNN on a pedestal as if they get to define "news" itself. I don't have the latest figures on hand but nobody even watches that crap and all of their numbers are inflated anyway since most people are forced to watch at the airport, DMV and doctor office. Some of us have known it was fake since at least the 90s.

These days you can get your news from the man on the street making it or living it.

Also, I don't read news from anyone if I can't comment on their website.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Odd I wasn't asked.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Odd I wasn't asked.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

What I think is very little news makes it on air.

The majority is nothing more than opinion being passed off as news.

CNN,MSNBC,CBS,ABCNBS should just rename themselves to Democrat News Networks.

Fox should rename themselves to Republican News Network.

Beyond that. If Alex Jones and conservative outlets deserve to be banned then so does the liberal ones.

The fourth estate is a epic failure.

Or we could just treat the first amendment like the second and only responsible outlets get to be on air.

Fair,Balanced, and unafraid.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I've seen his speeches live and I'm sorry, I disagree with your assessment. For the sake of honest debate, lets not even consider the videos and liberal or conservative media slant. Lets just look at Trumps character. Do you really think this is the type of leader you want representing the United States?? His numerous tweets alone have shown himself to be a bigot among other things. There are numerous staunch republicans who have left the republican party or withdrawn their support due to Trumps stance on issues and his lack of credibility.

A Running List of all the Republicans withdrawing their support for Donald Trump

I find it reprehensible that congressional representative on both sides have allowed Trump to stay in office. We've had presidents impeached for much less! How anyone can justify this man to stay in office is beyond me. He acts like a wannabe dictator. He has secret meetings with our adversaries. He then won't divulge what was said in those meetings to his own advisers or the American people??? This is the type of behavior you find in tyrannical dictators not a democracy. Our president is keeping secrets from his own advisers and the American people! He could have spilled secret information to Putin which could harm the U.S. for all we know!

I've said it before, I can agree with a few things Trump has done, but overall, his narcissistic personality, bigotry, his attack on America's basic values and lack of credibility, overshadows any good he has done. Even his own wife and daughter have questioned his stance on some issues. (However, it doesn't say much when his wife can ignore his infidelity and constant bullying (an issue she wanted to address as First Lady, lol).

With all the stupid, immoral and ignorant things Trump has said or done, how can you look at someone with a straight face and say this guy is mentally sound to have access to our nuclear codes and to protect and defend American values.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I agree its wrong, censorship is wrong in most cases no matter the political leanings.

I got hung up on the blatant dishonesty of the poll, the title and the idea the OP tried to push, you are correct the American people should be pissed that both left and right wing nuts are pushing censorship and the corresponding media is supporting the idea to "get" the other side.

Likely end game will be an increase in censorship unless the normal American get angry and deliver a stern message to the idiots in DC.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

It's such a vague question.

"3_6. Do you agree or disagree with the following statements? - The president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.

Kind of makes deriving any real meaning impossible. He already has this authority under state of emergency statutes IIRC. But I disagree. I wouldn't want any president to be able to shut down any news outlet.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I've said it before, I can agree with a few things Trump has done, but overall, his narcissistic personality, bigotry, his attack on America's basic values and lack of credibility, overshadows any good he has done.

Please define "Americas basic values" and explain where those values originated.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It's kind of funny. You're all worried about a tiny fraction of voters who thing someone should have the authority to do something (with which I disagree). Meanwhile democratic representatives are calling for the banning of conservatives. twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I'm sure that it's already been noted, but your headline is a half-truth, according to the original source (which I must assume that you didn't read thoroughly). From Ipsos:

A final statistic is somewhat reassuring, only 13% of Americans agree that “President Trump should close down mainstream news outlets, like CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times.” Here less than a quarter of Republicans (23%) agree along with fewer than one in ten Democrats (8%).

Stop lying. Seriously, just stop it.

The 43% statistic is in response to what you quoted, which has an added modifier at the end of the phrase:

Some of the limits of public support for freedom of the press are made stark with a quarter of Americans (26%) saying they agree “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior,” including a plurality of Republicans (43%). Likewise, most Americans (72%) think “it should be easier to sue reporters who knowingly publish false information.”

"... engaged in bad behavior."

That part matters. It also is appropriate to note 26% of their sample (which is very small, IMO) agree with the 43% of Republicans (which, I know, includes the Repubs that answered 'yes,' but since Rebuplicans only represent 36% of the sample population, there are Dems and Independents agreeing, too.

So, about 6/10 Repubs do NOT agree with that question, yet you focus on the minority who do. Typical. And then you don't mention the other aspects of the study, like that 72% of their study think that reporters should be more easily sued for "knowingly publishing false information." That should be 100% (I'm guessing that maybe the 28% who voted know are or know journalists).

Also a part of the study, 83% of Republicans view "freedom of the press [as] essential for American democracy." 89% agree that "freedom of speech is one of the values that makes America great."

A big thing, in my mind, of note is that Democrats come in at the lowest number, 63%, concerning making it "easier to sue reporters who knowingly publish false information."

Only 6% of Republican disagree in one way or another that "freedom of the press is essential for American democracy."

One funny note is that Obama barely escaped being viewed more unfavorably that FoxNews by 3%. It was interesting about FoxNews, too--only 30% of Republicans view them as "very favorable." I would have expected higher. Similarly is MSNBC at only a 24% very-favorable rating with Democrats. The "Daily Beast" is interesting, too, with 50% or higher in every category not knowing who they are. Funny thing about "Breitbart" is that more Democrats know of them than Republicans, but 47% of respondents didn't know who they are, either. The two latter publications landed in the bottom of the trust category, which is good.

Yet another interesting thing is that "News talk radio" was trusted by one percentage point more by Demorcrats over Repubs, 56% to 55%, respectively. That's surprising.

I could go on and on, but I'll just suggest that you read the full polling results, and maybe you won't be so quick to try and demonize one side over the other.

Well, I'm sure that YOU will, but that was more of a universal "you."

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There seems to be only one side attacking people who don't agree with them and cheering on censorship... it's not Conservatives. No need to speculate or listen to polls either. It's happening in front of our eyes.

edit on 8/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The MSM media is so out of control with Washington politicans and candidates never going on opposite news shows and bashing each other.It has gotten far far far worse since social media explosion has happened.Now Google and Youtube and Facebook.

There should be a form of non-aggressive shutdown used both by President Trump or future Presidents of the U.S. as well as Congress and the Senators and the military to get the all media sets of rules...They could say this hour of media only reflects opinions and what not...They should have serious discussions about topics that are dangerous so they cannot lie to the people
about important issues with politics and make fake poll numbers up during elections...CNN desperately needs a full hour host who is a protestant belief or strong conservative..Most of the entire news media is liberal catholics or jews.They need MSM media to talk about different subjects once in a while other than politics.
The MSM media should be far more critical of the FBI and CIA.MSM also needs shows dedicated to what is obvious some kind of E.T. abductions are going on and Extra-Terrestrial UFOs are clearly seen now.They can still keep government technology secret......

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Good ban all lefties media, the leftist media are banning right wing media so let’s get this party started already

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
.....Sadly this will never happens because they all are filthy rich in MSM...Every last one of them are millionaires..

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join