It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

43% of Republicans say Trump should be allowed to shut down media

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Almost half folks. Can't say I'm surprised after all we've seen as of late.

President Trump’s repeated cries of “fake news” and attacks on journalists as “enemies of the American people” have resonated with his base, with 43 percent of Republicans saying he “should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.”

The results — suggesting that a plurality of Republicans would have no problem trashing the First Amendment — came from a stunning new poll conducted by Ipsos

The original source of the poll, Ipsos.

I guess we shouldn't readily trust polls right? Unless, of course, it's a polling firm like Rasmussen and the poll is in favor of Trump I guess? Is that the exception here? Or are there other exceptions? I don't know I get confused sometimes on the standards set on here.

43% of Republicans - likely closer to about 20% of the voting population. We're talking about millions of American voters, prepared to give the president the ability to dictate and shut down unfavorable media. I wonder by how much this attitude has changed over the last 2 years?

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I sure hope all the people arguing with me about Alex Jones getting kicked off of Apple and Facebook will be here shortly to condemn these Republicans for supporting government led censoring of the media.
edit on 7-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Talking about shutting down media you say?

You mean like the left is doing to anyone they disagree with?

Should I be more concerned with actions or words?

edit on 7-8-2018 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers from the left as well. Particularly under the previous administration. Just to keep it "fair and balanced", you know.

There are a lot of idiots out there.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I dont think any POTUS should be able to do that. But I would be allright with one state run network.

link   
I'm not sure polls mean anything anymore.

+1 more 
link   

Results of a poll?

We all know how accurate those were about 2 years ago.....haha

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Typical OP. Usual Trump hate thread. I was wondering how long it was before another one was posted. Keep it up and you might beat CNNs record for the top spot of anti-Trump stories.

All this speculation of what ifs and polls and allegedlies. I will get outraged when it happens (probably not). Let me know when Trump ACTUALLY does this.

I'll wait...........Still waiting..........still waiting......

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

A bit less but still troubling possibly. It was an online poll and I am not familiar with this place to know if the poll is credible or not.

www.ipsos.com...

A final statistic is somewhat reassuring, only 13% of Americans agree that “President Trump should close down mainstream news outlets, like CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times.” Here less than a quarter of Republicans (23%) agree along with fewer than one in ten Democrats (8%).

edit on 7-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I agree, let's shut down twitter at least. See how that works?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We can't have people shutting down the media! No way!

It gives us our checks and balances. If we have Trump shutting down the liberal media, then we'll have the next liberal president shutting down talk radio and fox news. We can't have that.

For all my talk on the evils of the media and how I don't watch news, I do realize that it helps keep the government in check. We need the media all ends of the spectrum of the media.

I may not watch the news but I do read a few articles and headlines every morning so that I know what's going on in the world.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The left uses their power by having also left leaning companies silence Alex Jones, and it's a great victory for Democracy and the people of this nation!

Supposedly Republicans were polled and they say they are also for shutting down certain media outlets and it's "OMG THESE WHITE SUPREMACIST FASCISTS!!!"

"It's only OK when we do it"

Signed
~The Left

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
No, no, no! I am definitely NOT in favor of allowing any governmental body to shut down any reporting!

What I could get behind is a law allowing for more accountability.... relaxed civil slander laws, and even criminal penalties for purposely false reporting. But allowing government to shut down speech?

No, no, no!

TheRedneck

link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK

Who from the left has done so? If your anser is Apple and Google banning AJ than don't bother responding. I'm tired of explaining what capitalism is to alt-right idi00ts

link   

they didn't ask me. I'm against censorship in any form. Free speech is just that. Like when Trump calls the liars, liars. He' is free to do that, and they are free to change their tune and report facts and truth, undistorted. (should they choose to)

I think this will pave the way for new media outlets that do nothing but report facts and leave the readers/viewers to make their own mind up on how it makes them feel.

I would like to see CNN collapse under their own stupidity, and Fox right after. Neither one is doing the populace any favors.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Would love to see the questions...

The results seem artificially high since there are Dems and Independents response is higher than expected as well.

www.thedailybeast.com...

“Swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well.”

But swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well. According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior” (74 percent and 55 percent, respectively, disagreed).

Additionally, 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (74 percent and 50 percent, respectively, disagreed)

edit on 7-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

Who from the left has done so? If your anser is Apple and Google banning AJ than don't bother responding. I'm tired of explaining what capitalism is to alt-right idi00ts

Google, Apple, and Youtube

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

If you can't come up with other recent examples from the left then I think you need to reexamine who the idiot is.

By they way I'm not on the right

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The best way to shut the media down is to keep proving them wrong. So far, that strategy is right on track.

edit on 8/7/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join