It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drop the knife!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Police "accidentally" shoot a hostage. I have no words to describe some of the members of US law enforcement staff.

Don't shoot the messenger!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

ETA Video at link.
edit on 1/8/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That made me laugh, even if it is a sad story:

Los Angeles police officers fired 18 rounds in an attempt to free hostage

I mean, if you would see something like this in a movie you would say BS, nobody is stupid like that.
If it isn´t a comedy or slapstick movie.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Wow, really bad shots. Someone needs training.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Good work officers, a second later and the Perp might have hurt that woman.

At least this is easier to explain than just shooting her before/afterwards.....

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

We have 330~ million people, many of our states equate to other countries. Color me surprised when some of the people F up. Especially if they have adrenaline pumping and a gun in their hands.

Not to excuse what happened, I just am not going to use this a case study to form my opinion on law enforcement as a whole.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I don't know how German police respond to similar situations but I do know the Dutch police always aim for the leg if a person is armed. Dutch police never miss. Gung-ho, ex -military trained personnel are not common in the Netherlands. Unlike the US.

"If all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail." I don't know who made that quote but damn, this was brutally stupid and senseless. Even when the guy is dead on the floor... "Drop the knife!"

#tards?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

I don't know how German police respond to similar situations but I do know the Dutch police always aim for the leg if a person is armed. Dutch police never miss. Gung-ho, ex -military trained personnel are not common in the Netherlands. Unlike the US.

"If all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail." I don't know who made that quote but damn, this was brutally stupid and senseless. Even when the guy is dead on the floor... "Drop the knife!"

#tards?

Not to say this was handled close to well, but if you shot him in the legs, couldn't he kill the hostage in spite?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Not to excuse what happened

You just did. Thanks.

ETA Thanks to Mods for moving it to the correct forum.

edit on 1/8/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ugh, I saw this last night and I'm still disgusted.
I could have done better with my squirrel gun than the keystone cops.
Handguns will never be the peak of accuracy as the dead hostage proves.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Not to excuse what happened

You just did. Thanks.

No, thank you. I didn't know what my intentions with my words were until you informed me of them.

Whats your phone number, I may call you for help sometime when I'm trying to convey something.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Police "accidentally" shoot a hostage. I have no words to describe some of the members of US law enforcement staff.

Don't shoot the messenger!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

ETA Video at link.

He had already cut into the hostages neck and wanted to cut her head off according to the stories I read.

At that point there isn't much you can do except try to save her. The guy was definitely going to kill her.

What exactly would you have done differently had you been there with a gun, or without?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

#tards?

Not to say this was handled close to well, but if you shot him in the legs, couldn't he kill the hostage in spite?

Perhaps but in this case the cops did it for him.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Just so no one else is confused.

Killing people= bad

Killing innocent person= F all the law enforcement because Ted can't use his service pistol.

Did I do that right?

Oh yea, Ted is bad.... pheew, almost forgot.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

#tards?

Perhaps but in this case the cops did it for him.

That he did, unfortunately that gets a bit overlooked too. If the criminal survives they get charged with that murder. Now, I get that person wouldn't die if the criminal hadn't created the situation... But I think the cop involved should get punished somehow, I mean, you did just kill an innocent person.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ah yes, the roll. Where did I say F all the LEOs? All I'm saying is that many officers shoot without thinking too much. It's what they've been trained to do and if nothing else works, empty a clip quickly.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't think the cops had much choice at that point but damn, it just seems the first thing cops do upon arriving at any scene is to instantly escalate the situation with threatening actions and demands from the start. How about approaching a suspect and saying something like, hey man, whats the problem?

Edit: It's the Adrenalin. It's flowing before the cops ever get there. They are filled with it when they open the car door.
edit on 1-8-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I don't think the cops had much choice at that point but damn, it just seems the first thing cops do upon arriving at any scene is to instantly escalate the situation with threatening actions and demands from the start. How about approaching a suspect and saying something like, hey man, whats the problem?

Cops aren't psychologists and the guy wasn't there to spread butter on his toast.

He had already cut the lady.

Sucks this is the way it went down....

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

#tards?

i think its that. i think it is gung ho types
i think it is a hard job. definitely plays a part.

i think it is because back in the day in many places the cops kind of came up in the neighborhood they policed. theyre piped in. they know people. it makes a difference.

they were invested to a point.

these days it seems like the cops are policing places they didnt come up in and i think it makes a difference.

i think it is attitude in general

it seems like a lot of people in general are cool with people being killed for what i think are bull# reasons.

shoulda listened to the cop. was scratching his ass and looked like he was going for a gun. im joking but you know the # i mean.

shoot someone or #ing choke someone to death for selling an illegal cigarette or for pissing against the outside wall of a dennys;
those are true. one was cops and one was a cowboy married to a cop.
threads on here about both.

kind of taken back by how many comments were very much cool with both those dudes dying for both those reasons.

the general attitude.

its a major problem.

and i stress it is a hard job. impossible really.
but houston, there is a major problem

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: CharlesT

Cops aren't psychologists and the guy wasn't there to spread butter on his toast.

He had already cut the lady.

Sucks this is the way it went down....

No he had not even confronted the lady when the cops showed up and they immediately starting shouting demands and shooting beanbags upon arrival.. They did have time to try to deescalate the situation before the tragic incident but they didn't even try. I say it is lack of proper training because they are not trained to deescalate.
edit on 1-8-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ah yes, the roll. Where did I say F all the LEOs? All I'm saying is that many officers shoot without thinking too much. It's what they've been trained to do and if nothing else works, empty a clip quickly.

City streets are not paintball.
Spray and pray with a Glock is not the answer on a public street. More accurate weapons and lots of training must be required. Personally I see no problem with a very accurate revolver. If the ammo load is somewhat limited perhaps the cops will think more about where to aim. Just my thoughts. However this time they had plenty of time to take aim and still killed the wrong person.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join