It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drop the knife!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

In a surprising move by our police force in my city, they are bringing mental health workers to the scene to deal with crap just like this.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Lucky the perp didn't kill her...

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm not Dutch, I just happen to live in the Netherlands. I can't be bothered to spoon feed you but have seen enough police footage of people being shot in the leg in order to disable them. How about you prove me wrong and save me the pointless legwork?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I was talking about the "never miss" claim, which is garbage. My proof is that they're human, but if I get bored, I'll look some stuff up for you...or you can just admit that reality and save me the pointless legwork?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I am actually amazed they attempted to use bean bag rounds initially - albeit in this case it seems lethally shooting him outright upon arrival would have saved this womans life. Its insane how he didnt even have a hostage for the majority of the video and then blam.

Actually in this case - if he was indeed already cutting her throat, theres not much else the officers couldve done imo but react how they did. It shouldnt have gotten to that point, but this one is not nearly as bad as blindly firing into a Trader Joe's like a few days back.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is how our cops deal with it.

Maybe train police to use not just firearms....better mental health training for all police is must tbh.
I couldn't blame the police in this situation though seeing in the states he could have had a gun on him also.
Crap situation all around I bet the cop never forgets it.
edit on 1-8-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Police "accidentally" shoot a hostage. I have no words to describe some of the members of US law enforcement staff.

Don't shoot the messenger!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

ETA Video at link.

He had already cut into the hostages neck and wanted to cut her head off according to the stories I read.

At that point there isn't much you can do except try to save her. The guy was definitely going to kill her.

What exactly would you have done differently had you been there with a gun, or without?

Personally, I would have closed the distance with the perp long before he could slowly walk 20ft or so up to the woman.

Bringing a gun against the knife should have the advantage. I would have put him down before he could endanger another.

The cops seriously F'ed up letting the guy wander close enough to attack that woman.

You are definitely correct here. There is no way in hell those cops shouldve let the bastard get anywhere near that woman.

An officer shouldve gotten in front of that women with his gun drawn on the guy the moment they spotted her there in vicinity of the perp.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

edit on 1-8-2018 by Lightdhype because: Dbl

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I hope the police officers are charged with manslaughter and removed from duty.

I'd be afraid if such ineptitude was allowed to continue endangering the general public.

Also, wouldn't a taser, from a closer distance, have been a better choice for someone armed with a knife?

edit on 1/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

To summarise, you have nothing and yet still defend the senseless shooting. Got it.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: CharlesT
I don't think the cops had much choice at that point but damn, it just seems the first thing cops do upon arriving at any scene is to instantly escalate the situation with threatening actions and demands from the start. How about approaching a suspect and saying something like, hey man, whats the problem?

Cops aren't psychologists and the guy wasn't there to spread butter on his toast.

He had already cut the lady.

Sucks this is the way it went down....

Because they are slow, they don't know how to cut distances short, they don't know how to create a distraction and approach from the side and front and get ahead of his movement, they just stand there in plain sight yelling confusing directions/commands that clearly will not be followed.

They had plenty of time before he reached to her again, they could have gained terrain before that so that he could not feel free to get to her and if he tried he could be shot before when there was at least some distance between them, then he would have been the only one killed

But oh well it happened and can't be reversed, too sad about this

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH

Because they are slow, they don't know how to cut distances short, they don't know how to create a distraction and approach from the side and front and get ahead of his movement, they just stand there in plain sight yelling confusing directions/commands that clearly will not be followed.

They had plenty of time before he reached to her again, they could have gained terrain before that so that he could not feel free to get to her and if he tried he could be shot before when there was at least some distance between them, then he would have been the only one killed

But oh well it happened and can't be reversed, too sad about this

Yeah, they didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to advance on the guy and perhaps make enough ground to help this woman to safety.

That said, judging solely on the actions that were taken I see only 1 officer who should have opened fire. It's always preached that they only aim center mass and shoot. What I didn't know was that center mass didn't always have to be the individual they intend to shoot. At least 3 of these officers either intentionally shot this woman to get at their intended target or they broke their cardinal rule and instead of center mass they were aiming at a smaller target.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In the US it's guns first and brains 2nd.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I'm in the UK and saw the video, how truly saddening especially to her family. The police said they 'opened fire when he began cutting his hostage' Nothing like a dead hostage to stop her being cut!! I thought you people over there had training in this sort of thing with shooting lessons and stuff? Surely even a shot to the leg would be enough to make him stop or maybe if you had to kill him a shot to the head? Not a shot to the head through the hostage. I dunno obviously I have never shot anyone in my life (in fact I have never even picked up a gun) Still in england we deal with the bad guys by hitting them with a stick.. seems to work for the best part lol

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
What is to be expected. Once one shot is fired, every one starts shooting. Happens quite often.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: CharlesT
I don't think the cops had much choice at that point but damn, it just seems the first thing cops do upon arriving at any scene is to instantly escalate the situation with threatening actions and demands from the start. How about approaching a suspect and saying something like, hey man, whats the problem?

Edit: It's the Adrenalin. It's flowing before the cops ever get there. They are filled with it when they open the car door.
you are talking about reasoning with someone who is acting extremely unreasonable. Not to say that it shouldn’t be tried, but , You are also assuming that they didn’t try to reason with him. At the point that he has taken a hostage and is threatening to hurt them or kill them, I think you may be well past the point of reasoning with the guy

I'm not assuming jack sheat. The video is evidence that they didn't even try to deescalate the situation. You are imagining something other than what the video proves as fact!

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lightdhype

I am actually amazed they attempted to use bean bag rounds initially - albeit in this case it seems lethally shooting him outright upon arrival would have saved this womans life. Its insane how he didnt even have a hostage for the majority of the video and then blam.

Actually in this case - if he was indeed already cutting her throat, theres not much else the officers couldve done imo but react how they did. It shouldnt have gotten to that point, but this one is not nearly as bad as blindly firing into a Trader Joe's like a few days back.

The beanbag # was a mistake, but they couldn't know that. You don't want to kill a mentally ill person if they are not really dangerous.

I work in a position of authority, crazy levels of authority that allow imprisionment without a warrant, but we're told to take escalation and turn it down. I don't show up aiming a gun, but these guys do. They work with the tools they've been given. My tools allow me to deesculate.

I'm a supporter of requiring a college education in criminal justice for police. The job pays well and requires specialized training. There are too many incidents happening to ignore the need for extensive training.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
Might not be such a bad idea.

Anyway... this in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous. The cops in question will get a smack on the hand and retrained. Meanwhile a family is grieving because of our great boys (and girls) in blue who in a lot of cases I wouldn't trust with a butter knife made a oopsy.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   

It was a bizarre situation. If anything watching this vid makes me for the police having more high powered firearms. They should have shot him in the head first thing he started backing up toward other people. Those pee shooters and bean bag gun didn't do squat.

But ya, the dude was cutting into that woman's neck as soon as he grabbed her, out of fright or just because he was grabbing cover, so if anything the only way to handle that situation is to put him down as soon as he did not comply and started backing up toward people, looks like he took a few shots and kept backing up as well till that woman, and tried to cover behind her.

They should have just put him down after the third "drop the knife" when he came up to them, and did not comply. It was obvious it was not going to end well, especially with so many other people around.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT
You can see in the video that guy is just walking around holding a big ol knife and a chair. And likely there was some scuffle and escalation in that place long before the cops showed, because somebody had to have called them. And you would be stupid to just go up to a guy holding a knives and chair trying to talk him down out of doing stupid #. Hes already doing stupid # and it was already escalating before the cops got there.

If anything why did some of those idiot bystanders just stay there like deer in the headlights, I mean get the funk out of there. Most people who are thinking sane dony walk around threateningly while holding a knife and chair for defense. The dump ass even walked toward the cops like "what, what are you going to do, I have a knife"

Anybody that's stupid enough to do that deserves to be shot.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join