It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Poor people eat huge amounts of high saturated fat, tons of salt and refined carbs and most likely the worst part is extremely processed foods full of all kinds of chemicals. They also eat almost no veggies, fruits and nuts.

My family will eat a good amount rice and meat with out veggies, fruits... but none is processed...

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I only ever eat lard and pure sugar washed down with full fat coke.

Am I doing something wrong?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Honestly fella both you and Purplemer have changed me, I understand now that antibiotics as a child predispopse kids to become obese, and once they are obese adults then complex socio-psychological factors make it a challenge to reduce energy intake and increase energy usage. It must be an absolute misery for people who are unable to effect any personal change on their obesity.
It is good there are dedicated people such as your goodselves trying to help these millions of victims of circumstances.
Thank you for making a difference

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Your sarcasm is appreciated.

Next time do a little bit of research and you might come off a little better.

Right am off for 8 pints and curry from my local. Diets be dammed!

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Bottom line is take in less energy than you burn and you will always lose weight.
Yeah I get ya, complex psychological issues, they're all victims of modern society...it almost breaks my heart.

Yes complex psychological issues are medical in nature. Do you really want to keep judging people for being unwell.

No one "judges", but at least some of us do not acknowledge the theory of "healthy at every size", which is very wrong. And telling us that psychological issues are a source of fatness is only right for a very small portion of the fat population.

No excuses. No blindfolds. No rugsweeping, gaslighting or strawmen. If you eat more than your body needs, you gain fat. It does not even matter if you do keto, un-keto or some other diet - they only work if you eat less than you need.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Wow. I couldn't even force myself to eat that much every day.

link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Honestly fella both you and Purplemer have changed me, I understand now that antibiotics as a child predispopse kids to become obese, and once they are obese adults then complex socio-psychological factors make it a challenge to reduce energy intake and increase energy usage. It must be an absolute misery for people who are unable to effect any personal change on their obesity.
It is good there are dedicated people such as your goodselves trying to help these millions of victims of circumstances.
Thank you for making a difference

Your post bought a tear to my eye. Thank you for you heart felt post. Have a medal.

Adios is has been emotional and fun. Take care for now

link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Xtrozero

I only ever eat lard and pure sugar washed down with full fat coke.

Am I doing something wrong?

That is most likely better than McD or other process fast foods 3 or 4 times a day...

edit on 28-7-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Bottom line is take in less energy than you burn and you will always lose weight.

Simple physics will win every time.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

If it works for me it can work for others.

It just takes a lot of work to get to know your own body and what it needs, is all.

But after time has gone by it becomes habit.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep
For me I adapt to what I'm doing. Today has been sedentary so I had a bowl of rolled oats porridge made with only water, then a bowl of last nights veggie stew I'd saved, then the yuge bowl mentioned in the OP with a wholemeal bread roll. I've only drunk water in between and that's all I'm drinking tonight. Maybe 1000 calories or slightly more. Sat on my arse it's all I need lol.
Doing hard physical work though I can top 3000 in a day easy, just burn it up and sweat water out like a fountain, I've drunk 4 litres in an 8 hour shift before now.

It's balance, energy/activity, I would never eat the amount I do on a day off as when working I'd end up fat lol.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It's balance, energy/activity, I would never eat the amount I do on a day off as when working I'd end up fat lol.

That's how it happens.

I believe it comes down to ether you understand how your body works or you don't.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I do genuinely feel for anyone who is trying to lose weight, it must be hard if only due to the temptation everywhere.
I had a massive addiction to something which is against T&C's many years ago, I blew tens of thousands in a year partying, but when the money ran out I just stopped seeing the people who sold the product, got a new phone and lost their numbers so temptation was out of sight.
Food is everywhere, how do you avoid that?!

My own son was getting fat when he was 8 or so, I argued with his
is mother so much, she couldn't see it saying 'it's puppy fat' and I'd be like 'there's no such thing, he's eating too much crap food products'. Anyway I won the battle of wills, banned all crap snack food, only fruit and the regular 3 meals a day.
I was totally bad cop, made my son cry a few times, but as an athletic 20 something sportsman he looks back these days and says 'thanks dad' and that make me smile inside for being forceful facing a real problem.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
There's been some interesting discussion as to the cause of obesity. Clearly, obesity is complex and there can be mitigating factors, but the main cause in the majority of cases is:

Obesity is generally caused by eating too much and moving too little.
If you consume high amounts of energy, particularly fat and sugars, but don't burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, much of the surplus energy will be stored by the body as fat.

Source NHS

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

People are obease because they eat too much. That is not up for debate, it’s why people eat too much and have crappy diets that’s the issue.

It’s the why not the how.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Mike Meyers pulled no punches.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Interesting. Are you two people?

In your thread about drug addicts you show a lot of empathy and compassion for their plight, but here you show the exact opposite.

The reasons behind obesity are very similar to the reasons behind people self medicating and becoming addicts and yet you look down on the obese and talk as if they are lowlifes and its a character issue.

You can't see that the reasons for both are pretty much the same? You empathize with those who can't quit drugs, but hate those who can't control their eating?

In both cases there exists underlying causes like depression. Why not try to understand the reasons like you rightly have done when you were very supportive of addicts? Do you bully fat people for giggles?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Interesting, my reply further up this page pretty much answers your thoughts....
LINK THING AIN'T WORKING, IT'S MY REPLY PREVIOUS TO THIS ONE
I won't add any more to that, except depression and 'self-medicating' doesn't supply all the drug addicts in the world, in my case it was partying too much, same with alcohol, a slippery slope and by the time you are addicted it's hard to stop.
I imagine with fat people once the realisation that they are fat is there then it must be hard to break the cycle.
...but laziness leads to obesity that is for sure, amongst other complex socio-psychological issues as another member has stated.

EDIT
Oh and read the OP properly next time fella, I stated clearly I don't hate fat people, don't put words into my mouth, it't disingenuous at best.
edit on 28-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I do genuinely feel for anyone who is trying to lose weight, it must be hard if only due to the temptation everywhere. I had a massive addiction to something which is against T&C's many years ago, I blew tens of thousands in a year partying, but when the money ran out I just stopped seeing the people who sold the product, got a new phone and lost their numbers so temptation was out of sight. Food is everywhere, how do you avoid that?!

I feel the same. And would never look down a person that is really trying to change.

My own son was getting fat when he was 8 or so, I argued with his is mother so much, she couldn't see it saying 'it's puppy fat' and I'd be like 'there's no such thing, he's eating too much crap food products'. Anyway I won the battle of wills, banned all crap snack food, only fruit and the regular 3 meals a day. I was totally bad cop, made my son cry a few times, but as an athletic 20 something sportsman he looks back these days and says 'thanks dad' and that make me smile inside for being forceful facing a real problem.

Wish my dad had cared the way that you do. Good job.

Being athletic can bring such peace and happiness to a person. I feel sad when I see people go their entire lives without knowing the pure joy of when running feels good.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
What about "shut ins"?

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join