It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think its a much more complex thing going on. Look at WW2 peeps on both sides of the pond. Skinny comes to mind yet they ate "crap" like lard, butter, full fat milk, etc. The difference, I think, is that nobody goes out a plows a field by hand anymore. Machines do all the heavy lifting. So add in a sedentary lifestyle to 30 years of mass marketing lazy food, and boom. When I was a kid, McDonalds was an every 3 months treat. Now it's a staple. And look at the British diet in WW2 that was mandated by the Govt. They were some of the healthiest peeps ever.

Also, read the labels. A tiny packet of crisps...errr, tater chips is now 2 or 3 servings somehow. Also, salt and sugar are in everything. American bread is like eating a candy bar.

Personally, I have gained 30 pounds since I retired, and that is down to 3 things:
1. No physical work
2. Drink the same or more beer.
3. I dont have the mandatory weight standards to adhere to any more.

Soooo, if you are getting government cheese, you should be mandated to do 60 pushups and 60 sit-ups in one minute each, and run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I blame it on poor eating habits,fast food,restaurants,try cooking your own meals and buying correct ingrediants,seen many in 70's in Europe look like they go to a gym,from exercise and diet,being fat is a result of overlooking facts

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

just never know. Rose root, that's interesting..... raw or cooked ?

Rose root i have raw and powdered. Sometimes fresh. I am very lucky that i can grow it where i live. Infact i grows wild all over the cliffs.

It is one of my favorite herbs

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
So, in closing, I assert that the overwhelming majority of fat people in the UK are fat solely because they are too lazy to walk to the cheap stores which exist everywhere urban within a reasonable walk. I also assert that they just want the easy life of sticking something in the microwave and eating it from the dish provided with no washing up to do, again laziness.

Well, if I have to stereotype like you did in your OP then I could say people on the dole are on benefits because they are lazy and they rather live off my taxes. Is this a fair statement? No. People are on benefits for different reasons, a percentage due to laziness but only a percentage, not the overwhelming majority. Same with overweight people.

Here, from the UK Obesity statistics 2017.

Putting it simply, obesity is caused by overeating and working too little. It has been claimed that the rise in obesity is not due to the abstinent of willpower but because of the main lifestyle-related problems such as “obesogenic environment” that encourages people to eat more and unhealthy. The rise in the usage of cars, computers, desk jobs, high-calorie food, and marketing techniques that motivate you to buy more are the causes of obesity.

Like others have said there are many factors that causes obesity, it's not as simple as you make it in your OP.

originally posted by: purplemer

bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com...

The article you posted does not show a link between antibiotics and obesity, it shows a possible link but no confirmation whatsoever. In fact it shows that for many chronic diseases associated with long term use of antibiotics in infants, they don't know whether it was the infection that triggered the diseases or the antibiotics. Same with becoming overweight.

Do we overuse antibiotics? Absolutely, I agree. Do antibiotics cause obesity? We don't know yet, no clear evidence to suggest so. We need more studies.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thanks for all the interesting replies, sorry I can't respond to everybody but here's some which caught my attention especially...

a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus
Lol, I don't put you in the angry category fella, or the category of folk who instead of picking holes in my argument attack my intentions of posting, lines like you are judgemental or whatever, they are people who cannot debate a topic maturely.

a reply to: wylekat
I'll have a look , cheers.
I still don't understand why buy crap food from Poundland when you can get much more fresh food cheaper in the supermarkets for healthy meals.
Too lazy to cook as I asserted my opinion in the OP.

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Excellent anecdotal story, we've discussed your commercial bull free paradise in other threads. And it is true, fat people generally have a diet of crappy processed fast foods. They try to blame it on cost but as I and others in this thread have stated that is an absolute lie in the UK. It is easy and cheap to source and cook healthy fresh food here, if you are not too lazy to get off your fat arse and actually cook it yourself.

a reply to: stormcell
Better than microwave frozen ready meals, at least you are actually trying to cook. Get a simple chile con carne recipe off the internet and have a go, honestly it's easy, and you'll never look back when you've done your first.

a reply to: proteus33
It's why I specified the UK in the OP. It is really easy to source cheap fresh food here in any urban area, even if you are on foot. The US is so vast I can understand how it must be harder for the poor in some places.

a reply to: GenerationGap
That's a really good point about supply and demand

If the millions of people who can't be arsed actually cooking started buying fresh produce then would there even be enough to import from around the world? Prices would skyrocket, so yep, hmm good point, fat people carry on eating your crap food please.
I hadn't really considered the economics, but it's probably true.

originally posted by: Nyiah
Taking away the poverty aspect of the OP's rant, he can shove his opinion up his delicate English fanny for all I care.

Well you can stuff your own opinion up your own fanny as well, it matters little to me, you needlessly aggressive person.
Oh and fanny is the slang word in Britain for vagina, my example of rudeness works better with the same word lol

originally posted by: Justso
Sorry, op. I believe you have fallen into a rut of self righteousness and judgement of others without looking at the bigger picture.

Oh dear, yet another one attacking the poster not the posted words. Your opinion of me and my intentions is irrelevant and off-topic. Argue my specific points in the OP, such as British fresh food being cheap to buy and better quality than any processed foods, or why do fat British chose not to cook this wonderful cheap food? Of course my opinion is that most are too lazy to cook. Now address the points I've made without bleating that I'm judgemental.

a reply to: CX
Slow cooker, porridge, cheap veggies, exercise, and home cooking, yes to all

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Soooo, if you are getting government cheese, you should be mandated to do 60 pushups and 60 sit-ups in one minute each, and run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.

Controversial but I get the idea. Free cash to just sit on your arse stuffing your face with sticky cakes and microwave meals doesn't help society in any way. On a side note I nearly had some sick in my mouth watching TV at a mates house the other day, an advert came on for fat women in swim costumes including bikini's, #ing disgusting, and they were actually celebrating being obese...ugh!
...at my peak I could do the mile and a half run in 10:35, I'd probably be 20 minutes these days lol.
edit on 29-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Have you considered it has something to do with some people being addicted to certain foods? There are plenty of over weight wealthy people too, so it’s not about cost and as you point out it’s cheaper to eat a healthy diet.

I think processed sugar is the main problem, I know a friend who is trying to manage his weight and he admits to bingeing on food from time to time, like eating a whole packet of cookies in one go. I have been behind people in the local co op who are clearly overweight and they are buying crisps, sweets, Pepsi, chocolate etc.. all sugary food products.

Also the more you eat the more you crave food, your gut expands and vice versa the less you eat. I recommend people try fasting for that reason, it also flushed out toxins and helps reset your metabolism.

There’s a psychological element too, people have comfort foods they turn to when stressed so another outlet for stress like exercise should be sought. It’s easier said than done though at least at first.

A good way to break bad habits it’s to gradually replace them with positive ones, the transition is the hard part though.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Very true. Look at Trump: a billionaire who is definitely overweight. Too much ice cream, pizza, and McDonalds. And he doesn’t even have to cook his own food, he can hire a chef. Rich or poor - So many have become addicted to the bad stuff.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
In Henry VIII's day...being fat=wealth. You think they thin shamed peeps back then?

a reply to: kaylaluv

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
They could have silouettes at the grocery stores....you know....like the ones at amusement parks. If you dont meet the size then a siren comes on and shames you out of the biscuit aisle. It wouldnt work on me in the beer aisle.....but it would be funny. I might actually go with the missus to Tescos.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul
Sugar addiction is real, but like any addiction you have to want to break it. I mentioned earlier I had a massive substance addiction many years ago partying and using daily, even at work. I'd sold a house and blew around £80,000 in less than a year. When the money ran out I stopped, and yes cold turkey was horrible, but I wasn't in the realms of ruining my life any further than blowing some 'bonus' money I had. Not paying bills and going futher downhill to feed my habit was not an option for me.

Same when I've had desk jobs and noticed a bit of extra fat being put on I've adjusted my diet and forced myself to say no to the sticky cake when the tea trolley came around, no way I ever want to be fat.

Recently I've given up smoking, I'd been coughing more lately and generally felt less full of beans walking up my hill so I just stopped. I haven't used a nicotene replacement because I know I'd just end up addicted to that as well, I'm a true junkie at heart (used to be addicted to runnning - endorphins dopamine etc) so for me I just have to stop and feel the suffering.
And you know what, cigarettes are harder giving up for me than the illegal substance was. The cravings are deep and strong, plus you see it everywhere, you can't just avoid the dealers.
So yes, food is a similar thing, you can't avoid it, but you have to want to give up eating in excess, and I'd argue that sugar addiction is not so strong that it explains away all fat people.
What about those who promote fat as beautiful, with fat women in bikinis on tv adverts? They seem proud of it, not like anyone who knows they are just an addict, that is nothing to be proud of just a sign of weakness, like when I've been an addict. I'm still an addict inside I just abstain because that's the best choice for my health.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

It still is a sign of wealth in some poor Asian and African rural villages.
EDIT
It is certainly a sign of power and wealth in North Korea.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Give them more money for healthy food and it will only go on alcohol or other crap food..

Does raise the question on what they could cut back on such as wine and takeaways to save money.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel
Don't need to in the UK, you can eat cheaper and healthier using fresh ingredients. Most people who don't work and are on benefits drink and smoke anyway. The pub is full of people on the dole, even scamming from foodbanks before their first pint of the day so they don't smell of it.
I mentioned previously I've had months of missed work this year due to some brain/nervous system thing causing blackouts. I've worked days I can but cleaned my savings out just living and paying bills so I recently gave up smoking because even at smuggled tobacco rates it's still a big slice out of my budget...and health reasons as well, about time I quit, it's no good for anyone.

Whatever, food is my least worry in my budget because I cook with cheap fresh ingredients, as any poor person can if they wanted to. When I'm out of work I've got all day to enjoy preparing something lovely to eat, and also chopping ingredients etc keeps my craving smoker idle hands busy while I'm still withdrawing from nicotine.

And you are correct, I've known people who have used Healthy Food Vouchers at crooked stores which have let them use them for cig's and alcohol. Just as shocking, some sell their food parcels from charities at a 3rd of the value of the food. Plenty of scamming going on in Britain it's just the bleeding hearts who don't actually live in that world complain the loudest for our desperate poor people.
A very small percentage of people on benefits are suffering like you read in the newspapers, most are enjoying a scamming lifestyle, it's easy to do, just say the right things on the right forms.

edit on 29-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typos and grammar lol

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I would say Tattoos, kids, Amazon, and smokes. Not necessarily in that order though.

a reply to: lSkrewloosel

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Most people who don't work and are on benefits drink and smoke anyway. The pub is full of people on the dole, even scamming from foodbanks before their first pint of the day so they don't smell of it.

I think you have some very warped views on those less well off in society, true some people are like this but I tend to think that its better judge people on a individual basis rather than just make sweeping generalisations about "most people" on benefits because it fits with a predetermined view of those less well off in society.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

originally posted by: Muninn

a reply to: Muninn

Last time I'll ask mate, have you got any on-topic contribution to make to this thread?
All mature reasoned arguments are welcome about the topic, not me or my intentions making the thread.

What happens then?

On topic, I would love to see the actual bill for those groceries.

How is that on-topic? All you are doing now is switching from labeling me a 'fat shamer' to now a liar.
Discuss the topic, not me and my intentions. I've asked you lots of times now.
Argue my points if you disagree with any of them. This is not facebook mate.

I don't believe those costs, prove me wrong.

Most poor areas in the u.s don't have a cheap grocery store in walking distance to them but they have plenty of fast food places up in those areas.

Then walk further, fatso. Two birds, one stone.

Agreed with OP. Far cheaper to eat healthier and far quicker and tastier too if you buy a slow cooker and put stuff in the pot before heading to work or 1000s of meals that take under 20 mins total prep and cook which isn't long (especially when it can be frozen/reheated/eaten as leftovers). I spend around £20 a week to eat very well, done it on £3 a week before but wasn't the tastiest of diets.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Dude I grew up on an estate where hardly anyone was working, half the people I know now don't work and are on the scam. I worked for DWP ironically on the fraud team for over a decade. Stop being offended by my generalisations when I know the score and have been on both sides of the game. You champion your experiences of NHS matters and I'll champion my knowledge of sinkhole estates, scamming, and poor people generally.
Really dud, it's getting tiring you making out that poor people are these desperate victims of society. Most of them are not, but they have to act and present themselves as such desperate folk or the scam won't work.

Sheesh, everyone in such a world knows this, you obviously do not live in such a world or are thought of as 'straight' so nobody ever tells you the real truth about their particular scam because you are considered part of authority.
Heck even when I worked for the fraud tream I knew who was up to what and folk in my area didn't mind because I wasn't a grass, but if I had investigate something then unlucky...not that I ever tipped anyone off of course, that would have been illegal lol.

Now give it a break with complaining about generalisations you obviously haven't a clue about it.

EDIT
Single parents. I know many, probably most of my female friends are single parents on a government file so they get the benefits. Not one of them are actually single, either the father lives with them secretly and has a seperate address he claims housing benefit for and rents it out to a mate who works on the sly, or he's paying child maintenance to the mother on the sly so her benefits aren't cut.
Of course when they present themselves to professsionals like you they will bull# you all day long, even tears if that's what it takes.
Government statistics are absolutely ridiculous because the scams are massive in this country everybody lying to authority, you just haven't got a clue about it because you are part of 'the man' so they have to lie to you as well.

EDIT
I can't believe you forced me to get a stat, but here you go, I was #ing right, so stop with your pompous whining about my generalisations when you have no clue about the real world of bull#ting authority like you...

23% of those with personal annual income up to £9,999 are current smokers, compared with 11% of those whose annual income is £40,000 or more.
ONS.gov.uk

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You worked for the fraud team, but only have your word for that, its anecdotal but lets say you did, it seems it may have unfortunately jaded your views towards the poor.

Like I said, I am sure that there are some people who are scamming.

What I take issue with is overall how you characterise those who are less well of in society and its not just your generalisation that they are all scamming the system, smokers, drinkers stealing for food banks but also how you seem to have this strange view that its all their fault. You just seem to have a very basic understanding of very complex issues, last night it seemed to be obesity, today its poverty.

Your talking to a guy who grew up in some of the more interesting spots of Glasgow, who has worked in the most socially deprived areas of the country and who spends most of the working day with the kind of people you seem to hold so much contempt for and it seems our experiences have been very different. I have sympathy were you have nothing but contempt.

I don't expect us to agree on this, I just hope that you take some time to think next time about how complex a issue is before you wade in with your ill-informed views on it.

EDIT: ohh look at that now you've moved onto bashing young single mothers. I am not surprised in the slightest, let me guess they swap their milk vouchers for drugs?
edit on 29-7-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I keep weight off by simply not eating sugar, keeping salt to a minimum, and working. I make a homecooked meal every night, and feed a family of 6, for much less than it would cost to feed us fast food or microwave dinners. We do eat a lot of meat, I'd say mostly meat, and we are a very healthy and active family. Flock off with this plant based nonsense. OP is correct. Burn more than you eat, and don't eat junk. It's that simple.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
My estate agent told me all about the housing fraud schemes. In fact he was scamming the system too....pretended to be seperated from his wife but stayed there 5 days a week.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join