It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Purple sprouted broccoli?
That's a rather niche item, and I just did a price match with Tesco and a regular head of broccoli is less than 50p. That's damn cheap, compared to here where a head of broccoli is almost 2 dollars!

I've been to the UK many times because of my GF, she's from England, and the produce is rather cheap there, and you can thank Jaime Oliver for that!

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Tonight I'm making a huge cooking pot of vegetable stew and needed a few ingredients, this was my shop earlier:
400 gramme can of chopped tomatoes - £0.35
750 gramme bag of new potatoes - £0.49
Medium sized Leek - £0.05
5 medium carrots - £0.30
10 Spring Onions - £0.26
One whole Garlic - £0.30
30 gramme jar of hot crushed Chillies - £0.85 (will last me a month or two)
Oh and as a snacking treat I bought a 180 gramme dipping pot of spicy chilli houmous to munch with some sliced baton carrots. That cost £1.20, but as I said, just a treat, I could do without it.

Where is the meat? Throw in 1/2 kilo of stew beef...

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
I'm just eating bananas at the moment CVfive days in and my poop is just like baby food lol.

It was originally recommended by scientists to be adleast ten a day. But it was decided that number was far difficult to obtain. It was then changed to five a day to make it more palatable to the general public.
edit on 28-7-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It might have been mentioned but one reason which is attached to a whole lot of the other reasons on this thread, is society, in particular advertising and education. Do healthy food adverts even exist? Because the majority is MacDonalds or some other cancer producing, fast food junk shop crap.

Additionally, and it is true, our society has made us lazy and unmotivated, and not knowing how it feels to be fat personally, it must take a toll on self-esteem

edit on -180002018-07-28T14:20:32-05:000000003231201832072018Sat, 28 Jul 2018 14:20:32 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Good for you. Hope you enjoyed yourself in England. Yes i agree that is an extreme case. But the fact remains you can buy a packet of sausages for less than vegetables. The issue of obesity are complex and basic food sources ie vegtables and fruit should be cheaper in comparison to packaged meat products. This is often not the case to understand why look at the trade laws and ask why they are made that way.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Where you gone OP. I gave you the science on obesity and gut flora. Are you going to eat some humble pie and change your mind. (dont worry it does not make you obese and its a great medicine for ignorance.) Will you go as far as to apologise to all those gravitationally challenged people

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Dude I know the difference between a vegan diet and plant based, it's just the lack of processed food stuffs.
The only thing processed in my meal tonight was crushed chillis from a jar, I didn't add a stoc cube after all.
I rarely eat any processed food, my meat is from the local butcher, I catch my own fish, and usually buy a veg box from the local organic farm. Stop bveing so holier than thou like yor diet is the best and I need to worry about mine. I don't, but fat people most definitely do, but you refuse to admit they have the bigger problem than you or me.

They are costing the NHS billions and it's all through their crappy choices.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

When you mean a packet of sausages. Are we talking about like hot dogs? Or the ones that the grocery store usually whips up from scratch in the back from all the scraps after the butchering process of an animal?

I can buy a pack of 5 full on pork sausages here's for about 4 dollars.
Also, as I mentioned, produce is cheap in the UK, I mean, unless you're shopping at Harrods it shouldn't be an issue to buy some veggies and whip up a large batch meal like a stew, soup, or casserole.

link   
Get a 50 pound of rice and a bunch of chicken. Stir fry the chicken with some veggies and spice and you got a ton of cheap meals...

link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Where you gone OP. I gave you the science on obesity and gut flora. Are you going to eat some humble pie and change your mind. (dont worry it does not make you obese and its a great medicine for ignorance.) Will you go as far as to apologise to all those gravitationally challenged people

You argu like a spoilt child, I answered you at the bottom of the last page, perhaps check before the snide remarks, but that's all you've been in this thread, snide and superior.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

They are costing the NHS billions and it's all through their crappy choices.

So i have given you the science connecting obesity to gut flora. You have choosen to cirumnavitage this and go on a rant that it is their crappy choices. Did they choose the antibiotics given to them by the health system. If my information is correct and you have yet to even attempt to refute it then the problem is aldeast in part being caused by the NHS.

I thought you said you where vegan. Vegans dont eat animal products. If as you say you are eating animal products you are not a vegan! I am not sure what you are. Confused is what it looks like from here.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Really good to have you here able to compare how cheap it really is to eat healthy in the UK.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Get a 50 pound of rice and a bunch of chicken. Stir fry the chicken with some veggies and spice and you got a ton of cheap meals...

Rice!
People need to start embracing bulk starches and flour products again. Potatoes, rice, bread. This is one of the main issues for people now days, they want a full on sunday dinner every damn night.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I was vegan for a couple of years, then veggie for a decade now omnivorous.
OK I get your argument that all fat people are only fat because of having antibiotics as a child, as I said I'll do some reading about it when the thread dies down, but knock it off now eh, you're just banging on about the same thing.

...and we both know if those kids ate a healthy balanced diet with an energy intake appropriate to their bodies then they wouldn't be fat. Solely blaming antibiotics is lame as # and you know it.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Jaime Oliver and Gordon Ramsey should have been enough to sway the public. All they do is promote healthy eating and fresh food. My GF hates Oliver because it apparently ruined kids school lunches, and took away her turkey twizzlers!

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Tonight I'm making a huge cooking pot of vegetable stew and needed a few ingredients, this was my shop earlier:
400 gramme can of chopped tomatoes - £0.35
750 gramme bag of new potatoes - £0.49
Medium sized Leek - £0.05
5 medium carrots - £0.30
10 Spring Onions - £0.26
One whole Garlic - £0.30
30 gramme jar of hot crushed Chillies - £0.85 (will last me a month or two)
Oh and as a snacking treat I bought a 180 gramme dipping pot of spicy chilli houmous to munch with some sliced baton carrots. That cost £1.20, but as I said, just a treat, I could do without it.

Where is the meat? Throw in 1/2 kilo of stew beef...

Lol, I only occassionally eat meat, depends how much toll I'm putting on my body, physical work and the like.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Kick them when they are down, classy.

Nonsense. The OP is correct and even provided evidence of how cheap it is to eat healthily in this country.

Are you an obese dole dosser by any chance?

No, I'm 5 11 179 pounds.
I just think fat shaming is immature.

I think making huge social problems off limits for debate is immature.

?
Did I tell him to stop?

Nope, you just called it fat shaming when OP made a very good point.

The health crisis in America is largely due to health inequality. Meaning, the large rates of obesity (which leads to diabetes and heart disease) create a very expensive market for insurance.

Many people can't afford that, go without health insurance, and still have to get treatment. That gets covered by the goverment (taxes) or the hospitals who recoup it through other ways.

I think it's immature of society to not try and address this. Calling for Healthcare reform without health reform is a veiled attempt to throw tax dollars at it instead of saying what the real problem is.

Acceptable obesity.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I was vegan for a couple of years, then veggie for a decade now omnivorous.
OK I get your argument that all fat people are only fat because of having antibiotics as a child, as I said I'll do some reading about it when the thread dies down, but knock it off now eh, you're just banging on about the same thing.

...and we both know if those kids ate a healthy balanced diet with an energy intake appropriate to their bodies then they wouldn't be fat. Solely blaming antibiotics is lame as # and you know it.

No i am not banging on about the same thing. You asked for the information three times. I provided it (just once) and now you ask me to stop banging on about it. Sorry the science takes precedent over your opionion. I am on topic.

So as the OP why dont you now address the issue of the links I provided and maybe eat a little humble pie.. Dont worry it wont make you obese but it will help with issues of ignorance.

link   

I couldn't eat anything he makes he has that type of face that dribbles in food as he makes it.
He reminds me of a slobbering ugly puppy...imagine one of those making your beans on toast.
edit on 28-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

link   
Yup this one annoys me also.

Basically eat decent food and exercise a bit every now and then and all should be right with the world.

I do however think that there are far more complex problems underneath this simple message. Sugar is highly addictive for one and contributes to weight related problems, there is also the advertising of food, I mean you can't watch TV for five minutes with out a advert for junk food and when did you last actually see a advert for fresh food. Not only that I think a lack of information about good nutrition is highly lacking, I work in health care, even our education about nutrition is pitiful. Convenance foods, another huge problem, takes time to make a decent pot of stew, I have to go out get the ingredients, chop em all up, spend time cooking it and it does take a level of skill much easier just to buy a ready meal stalked full of salt and preservatives. And the worst of it is that all of this gets passed down from generation from generation, mum and dad don't cook, get take away a few night a week and the rest of the time go for ready meals so thats what the kids do.

I totally agree that eating healthy is actually pretty simple.

Although my local supermarket probably only has about 20-25% of its floor dedicated to fresh fruit, veg and meet, I never see buy one get one free on carrots. The nearest fresh farmers market is quite a bit away living in the middle of town so actually getting stuff thats just came out of the ground is pretty hard.

So I don't actually blame individuals as such, at least not entirely for a poor diet. I just think its our entire relationship with food thats wrong. Its the KFC on the corner of the street, the chippy down the road and you know what how about ordering a "just-eat". Lets not even bother now walking down to the car to drive to the drive through, lets just sit on the couch the whole time watching Netflix getting fat and getting unhealthy because as a society we have made everything too easy.

I think this is a much more complex problem than economic, although that is a factor.

Thought provoking OP so it gets a flag from me

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join