It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

Unless you're a literal hermit or live in the middle of no where there's no excuse to not go out of your way for fresh food. No where in the US or pretty much any western nation is fast food cheaper than making your own food. Only in places like China where street food is ingrained into the economy it works like that, and it's usually very healthy.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Unless you're a literal hermit or live in the middle of no where there's no excuse to not go out of your way for fresh food. No where in the US or pretty much any western nation is fast food cheaper than making your own food. Only in places like China where street food is ingrained into the economy it works like that, and it's usually very healthy.

If you say so.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: purplemer

Post a #ing link if you are going to make wild claims, I don't believe you.
I've had antibiotics many times in my life, so if you are gonna say that all fat people are victims of antibiotics then share a link to the class or I'll just ignore it as silly psueudo science woo.
You made the claim, you provide the evidence.

I gave you some information. You choose to ignore it and reply. As I said ignorance is far worse than obesity in my opinion. Why dont you look at your own diet instead of pointing at others. Some people will go to great extent as not to look at their own darkness..

edit on 28-7-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

No where in the US or pretty much any western nation is fast food cheaper than making your own food.

Fresh produce is more expensive than processed in the UK. You can buy a packet of sausages for under a pound. Purple sprouted broccoli is about 2.50 here. Its not just about the fast food restaurants its about the fast food in the shops.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
Vegan and plant based are different things. The irony that you are complaining about people being unhealthy because of there food and you are doing the same. You are no different than those people that are unhealthy from obesity. You are just doing it in a different way.

Oh stop with your crap arguments, for one I'm NOT complaining about people being unhealthy, I'm criticising the lame excuses people like you shout out for why they are fat, massive difference same as vegan/plant based.
How the # am I no different to someone who is fat through obesity? I'm physically fit aside from some central nervous issue causing blackouts for me, that's # all to do with what I CHOOSE to eat.
Is personal choices for the overwhelming majority of fat people.

Now, I'm still waiting for links to the wild claims you made that fat people are all fat because they took antibiotics. LMFAO, I'll be waiting a while for some peer reviewed study that isn't woo pseudo-science I bet.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Last time I'll ask mate, have you got any on-topic contribution to make to this thread?
All mature reasoned arguments are welcome about the topic, not me or my intentions making the thread.

What happens then?

On topic, I would love to see the actual bill for those groceries.

How is that on-topic? All you are doing now is switching from labeling me a 'fat shamer' to now a liar.
Discuss the topic, not me and my intentions. I've asked you lots of times now.
Argue my points if you disagree with any of them. This is not facebook mate.

I don't believe those costs, prove me wrong.

Most poor areas in the u.s don't have a cheap grocery store in walking distance to them but they have plenty of fast food places up in those areas.

In the US?

Last week:

Red Grapes
Nectarines
Turnips
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Spinach
Celery
Romaine
Spring mix

Chicken breast
Salmon
Cod

Milk
OJ

Noodles
Chicken broth
Creamed corn

Other assorted things

Final bill $140, mostly the other things like TP and laundry detergent which are always big ticket but also long-term.

We made a large pot of chicken noodle soup. We mixed the greens into a large package of salad mix. The veggies were split between the soup, salad, and the table bucket which is always on the table at night. We put in cut fresh veggies that can stay for a while in there like our cauliflower, turnips, carrots, radish, broccoli. It's free for the taking as much as you want at meals. The chicken was split between the soup and some was marinated and grilled and chopped to make chicken salads with the greens and some chopped veggies.

The salmon and cod were more expensive, but the cod was on sale. We always try to eat fish twice a week if we can, and usually we have something like swai or tilapia for one of those, but the cod was on sale so we splurged a bit for both salmon and cod.

The nectarines and grapes were both on sale. Nectarines are in season, of course. So there is always some kind of fresh fruit with breakfast which usually consists of something like oatmeal or grits or cream cheese on toast or French toast with a little bacon and fruit or an egg and fruit.

All of this is cheaper in the end when you split out the cost you pay and compare against the cost of paying for McD's three or even four or five nights a week.

Watch your sales, learn to cook a bit, and cut your portion sizes some, and you can easily eat healthier.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Careful CCG, someone may report this thread as a hate crime.

I know, I'm a bigot because I don't view fat as beautiful.

Are these people really deluded enough to believe that fat is healthy and beautiful, or just pros at denying and rationalizing the effects of their poor choices in life?

SMFH

S&F

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
Purple sprouted broccoli is about 2.50 here.

What size/amount? Tesco's say different, and they deliver all over Britain same day or next.
...oh don't tell me poor people don't have access to smart phones and basic bank accounts to make card payments [/yawn]

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

The average price for a fast food meal is roughly 5 - 10 dollars, per person. Depending on where you go and what you get.
If I spent that much money on a half pound of ground beef, a can of no name or store brand crushed tomatoes, cheap pasta, and some random veg like a red pepper or some mushrooms I can feed a family of four and would equate to almost a dollar per person. Plus I'd have left over pasta for a future meal, which would bring down the price for my next meal. It's not hard.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
My diet is fantastic and healthy which is why I'm not fat.
You got any criticism of the veggie soup I made as described in the OP?
That is typical of the type of food I eat, just mixtures of different veg, and occassionaly meat.
Why the # should I look at my own diet? I'm not fat. And I'm still waiting for links, you made the wild claims so share it with the class, come on, you know that's how it works on ATS...you are just trolling if you refuse to provide links to support you wild claims that antibiotics are the cause of all fat people.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm just eating bananas at the moment CVfive days in and my poop is just like baby food lol.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

a reply to: howtonhawky
Lol: Gramme Said the same as Gram, but with the E at the end it becomes a noun so my error. I think most people knew what I meant.

Try this one then...

All those fat cats do not carry their own weight!

Currency stored as fat. We are linked to other humans in ways we can not see other than the effects. Kinda like watchin the invisible wind blow a leaf around. It moves but we can not what moves it.

Taking the ole they are lazy answer is just a bit shortsided.imho

Look to other answers like they way we treat animals cause we are connected to animals too. We call them spirits and if someone locks up one of your spirits and feeds it 24 hrs a day with out exercise then that pattern overlay will input physical properties onto the host.
edit on 28-7-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Oh stop with your crap arguments, for one I'm NOT complaining about people being unhealthy, I'm criticising the lame excuses people like you shout out for why they are fat, massive difference same as vegan/plant based. How the # am I no different to someone who is fat through obesity? I'm physically fit aside from some central nervous issue causing blackouts for me, that's # all to do with what I CHOOSE to eat. Is personal choices for the overwhelming majority of fat people. Now, I'm still waiting for links to the wild claims you made that fat people are all fat because they took antibiotics. LMFAO, I'll be waiting a while for some peer reviewed study that isn't woo pseudo-science I bet.

That is the trouble with ignorant people. They sit there waiting for information to come to them instead of activly seeking it out themselves. I tried to help you. I showed the way. Do you struggle to use search engines. I am not arguing with you. I present you with science that does more than nulify your fat shaming thread.

Now OP. Put up or shut up.

Antibiotics, obesity and the link to microbes - what are we doing to our children? (BMC medicine)

Background Childhood obesity and overweight are among the greatest health challenges in the pediatric population. Obese individuals exhibit marked differences in the composition of the intestinal microbial community as compared to lean subjects. These changes in the gut microbiota precede the clinical manifestation of overweight. Convincing experimental data suggest a causal role for intestinal microbes in the development of obesity and associated metabolic disorders.

bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com...

The one above is from a peer reviewed paper. Below is one from the BBC news. You may find that easier to understand.

www.bbc.com...

Young children who are given repeated courses of antibiotics are at greater risk than those who use fewer drugs of becoming obese, US researchers say. The JAMA Pediatrics report found children who had had four or more courses by the age of two were at a 10% higher risk of being obese

www.bbc.com...

I could give you far far more. But you need to help yourself. The last link below is for a search engine. Next time try using one instead of creating ignorant threads. BTW I think your thread should be in the rant section.

(search engine)
duckduckgo.com...

To answer your question. A vegan diet is infintly more unhealthy for you than a plant based diet. You are eating yourself into an early grave. How is that any different than obesity.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

The average price for a fast food meal is roughly 5 - 10 dollars, per person. Depending on where you go and what you get.
If I spent that much money on a half pound of ground beef, a can of no name or store brand crushed tomatoes, cheap pasta, and some random veg like a red pepper or some mushrooms I can feed a family of four and would equate to almost a dollar per person. Plus I'd have left over pasta for a future meal, which would bring down the price for my next meal. It's not hard.

That's not what I'm talking about, you are right on it being cheaper to eat healthy but only if those stores are close enough to the people who have no transport but the problem is places like Chicago where they have 2-3 fast food shacks in a block and a grocery store 5 miles away.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

My diet is fantastic and healthy which is why I'm not fat.
You got any criticism of the veggie soup I made as described in the OP?
That is typical of the type of food I eat, just mixtures of different veg, and occassionaly meat.
Why the # should I look at my own diet? I'm not fat. And I'm still waiting for links, you made the wild claims so share it with the class, come on, you know that's how it works on ATS...you are just trolling if you refuse to provide links to support you wild claims that antibiotics are the cause of all fat people.

No my friend I am not trolling. You are pointing out that other people eat unhealthy food. I am pointing out that a vegan diet leaves your body in a mess compared to a plant based. You dont like my response and call me a troll.

Try sticking to the facts of the case. Adleast attempt to come to terms with the difference between plant based and vegan before spouting more rubbish please. If you dont know use the search engine.

Here is it again for you you.

duckduckgo.com...
edit on 28-7-2018 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Chicago? Really.
That's a literal city, there's grocery stores and markets all over the place. It's fitted with public transit, access to cheap used cars. I can understand an elderly person, but if they made it that far in life they probably already know that eating fast food isn't good for you and to try a little bit harder to get fresh food.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Kick them when they are down, classy.

Nonsense. The OP is correct and even provided evidence of how cheap it is to eat healthily in this country.

Are you an obese dole dosser by any chance?

No, I'm 5 11 179 pounds.
I just think fat shaming is immature.

I think making huge social problems off limits for debate is immature.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
I'm just eating bananas at the moment CVfive days in and my poop is just like baby food lol.

Watch out for low branches on trees,you might have an irresistible urge to swing on all of them and start spanking it in public

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Kick them when they are down, classy.

Nonsense. The OP is correct and even provided evidence of how cheap it is to eat healthily in this country.

Are you an obese dole dosser by any chance?

No, I'm 5 11 179 pounds.
I just think fat shaming is immature.

I think making huge social problems off limits for debate is immature.

?
Did I tell him to stop?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
No, that ain't how it works on ATS, you made ythe claim in a thread I authored then tell me I should take time out of managing the thread to research your claims.
I've had a skim read, so 10% of kids showed increased risk of obesity if they had repeated antibiotics as children. That doesn't prove cause annd effect and you know it. Those kids could have crap unhealthy lives yet you are convinced so good luck to you. I am not convinced, and in any case, 10% of children are not obese these days it is way higher than that. Who you gonna blame for the other obese kids?
I blame lazy parents feeding crap food to their kids. It's child abuse in my opinion.

Now I thank you for your contribution and shall read more later when the thread dies down, but don't be asserting your opinions as fact here because I'll call you out on it every time, oh and knock it off with the 'ignorent' crap like you are the font of all knowledge, sheesh.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join