It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Why is fresh good so expensive where you are? Should there not be an excess of fresh food from farming, local Co_ops etc. With all the people power, all that land it doesn't make sense. The mind boggles thinking a country can have such a powerful and expensive military yet the people cannot afford freshly farmed produce....

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Who cares who is fat or not fat? Who cares about the shape and size of other people? So what if some people want to be lazy? How do other people's eating habits affect you?

Those people might be wonderful souls that wouldn't harm a fly in their entire lives. They might be an emotional beacon of light for somebody else in their dark days. They might have many valuable qualities that can't be measured or weighed and that aren't on physical display.

They might be lonely, or even unhappy about something in their lives.

Yes some fat people are lazy. But so what if they are? Yes some are fat because they eat too much or have other bad eating habits. So what?

I know you keep saying you're not fat-shaming, but that is what this thread is. Moaning about 'laziness' and fatness as if one causes the other, and refusing to discuss the many other possible contributing factors/causes. You just want other 'fat-shamers' to join in a narrow-minded fat-bashing hate-fest.

What's your opinion on skinny lazy people, their bad eating habits, and the health problems/costs that that causes? Or is that okay with you because they're not fat?

You fatist.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

blah-blahhhhhh! SCREEEEEEAM!!!!!!

Long time no see lol. How's you my long-time t'internet friend

I miss the now non-existent ATS chatroom and the laughs we all had in there.

Take care. Much love my friend

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: purplemer

I was vegan for a couple of years, then veggie for a decade now omnivorous.
OK I get your argument that all fat people are only fat because of having antibiotics as a child, as I said I'll do some reading about it when the thread dies down, but knock it off now eh, you're just banging on about the same thing.

...and we both know if those kids ate a healthy balanced diet with an energy intake appropriate to their bodies then they wouldn't be fat. Solely blaming antibiotics is lame as # and you know it.

No i am not banging on about the same thing. You asked for the information three times. I provided it (just once) and now you ask me to stop banging on about it. Sorry the science takes precedent over your opionion. I am on topic.

So as the OP why dont you now address the issue of the links I provided and maybe eat a little humble pie.. Dont worry it wont make you obese but it will help with issues of ignorance.

Sorry but, there is no science in what you posted. The fact that it was peer reviewed doesn't mean anti biotics make kids obese, it just verified that 10% of those kids became obese. Correlation didn't equate to causation.

I was fed so many antibiotics as a kid, I was sick weekly until I was around 12 years old and had my tonsils removed. I was always skinny. Today I'm 32, 5'10" and weigh 158 lbs. The heaviest I ever weighed was 180, and it wasn't muscle. When I weighed 180 I was eating mad junk food and not exercising. I caught a glimpse at a picture my friend took and immediately started exercise and cutting back on the junk food and I was trim and lean again in less than a month.

I also had a friend who was fat his whole life from childhood to adult, he decided he didn't want to be fat anymore, changed his diet and started exercising and became incredibly lean and super strong in a matter of 7 weeks.

Obesity is a matter of over intake and under output. It's literally the simplest thing. There are no starving fat people, that's the only science you need in this scenario.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

You fatist.

I think you'll find that it's the obese who are the fattest.

In the UK we have the NHS, already crippled by lack of funding and it being overstretched. It deals with so many things it was never designed to.

Those that decide it's 'my body my choice' and go on to cause themselves harm which then requires considerable resources from the NHS, are part of the problem. Obesity is costing the NHS billions, in 2016 it was over £6 billion and it's not shrinking. The NHS spends less on cancer than it does on obesity.

The fatties will continue to shout because they don't want to have to do something, screaming 'fat shaming' just delays the inevitable. There are people that through no fault of their own are being denied life saving treatment from the NHS because the fatties are hogging the funds. Not just greedy but selfish too.
edit on 5-8-2018 by Tortuga because: .iuy

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I do get where you are coming from, but I have few reservations.
1 no protein in that stew, it's unsustainable in the medium term.
2 lots of poor people don't actually have cookers. Mad, but true. When the existing stove dies, there is nothing leftover to replace it.
3 you try eating the same thing every meal for 2 weeks. I love a curry, but 3 or 4 in a row and it may as well be gruel.
4 a surprisingly large number of people just cannot cook.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I do get where you are coming from, but I have few reservations.
1 no protein in that stew, it's unsustainable in the medium term.
Cool, then crack six eggs into it as it's cooking and stir them in, that will add a good 80g of protein. Oh and will add only £0.70 to the whole dish.

2 lots of poor people don't actually have cookers. Mad, but true. When the existing stove dies, there is nothing leftover to replace it.
If they are poor and own their own house then I can understand, but it has been the law for landlords to provide and maintain cookers/ovens for years now. Are you really saying that having no cooker/oven has the remotest influence on the millions of fat people in the UK not being able to cook healthy food? Really?

3 you try eating the same thing every meal for 2 weeks. I love a curry, but 3 or 4 in a row and it may as well be gruel.
Why would you have to eat the same thing for 2 weeks? I've been eating the same stew for 3 days because I made a huge pot, so what, it's healthy food. I'm going to make another one later but it will be more tomato based, with pasta, lentils and various beans - all cheap from Tesco, and plenty of protein. You want more protein? Try 1.5kg of frozen chicken wings for only £2.19 a bag.
After the meal, keep all bones etc and they will make an excellent stock when boiled down.

4 a surprisingly large number of people just cannot cook.
A tiny percentage of the population. Come on dude, I know you mean well making excuses for fat people but the examples you raise are not applicable to the overwhelming majority of the millions of fat people in the UK.
"Oh noes, I don't know how to chop vegetables and chicken wings up, or how to crack an egg. I don't know how to put all these ingredients into a cooking pot, add a couple of stock cubes and boiling water, then stir it with a spoon while it's on the hob"
You know how ridiculous that sounds don't you? Heck, anyone unemployed only has to watch daytime TV for a week and you can cook, the amount of cooking programmes on all the time.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with all your points. I'll accept that some folk will not have an oven due to rogue landlords, and some people haven't learned to cook properly (but are capable of reading and following instructions which a child could understand), But these folk you mention are in the tiniest of minorities when considering the population of millions of fat people in the UK.
The overwhelming majority of fat people are not excluded from cooking healthy food for the reasons you described. You know it as well as I do, but I appreciate there will be a tiny percentage of folk who meet your criteria.
edit on 5-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: fix quote tag

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

You fatist.

It was a joke man lol. A feeble one I admit, but a joke yeh.

Example: racist, sexist, .. . fatist .. . lol.

Nvm.

In the UK we have the NHS, already crippled by lack of funding and it being overstretched. It deals with so many things it was never designed to.

Those that decide it's 'my body my choice' and go on to cause themselves harm which then requires considerable resources from the NHS, are part of the problem. Obesity is costing the NHS billions, in 2016 it was over £6 billion and it's not shrinking. The NHS spends less on cancer than it does on obesity.

The fatties will continue to shout because they don't want to have to do something, screaming 'fat shaming' just delays the inevitable. There are people that through no fault of their own are being denied life saving treatment from the NHS because the fatties are hogging the funds. Not just greedy but selfish too.

I do not care about the size of a person's body. I only care if that person is a good soul. And that's what I value.

I don't care about money either.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Veggie stew, tomato based, with eggs in?
You bloody heathen.

I checked online and it does seem landlords have to provide proper cookers now.
I never got a free one when I rented.

Cornish pasties from greggs are the real cause of obesity. So its your fault, guilt by association.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

We Americans ask that every single time we go to the grocery store. It's ridiculous. And even more ridiculous is that rather than finding our own locally- or regionally-grown produce--I live in Missouri, and we grow a lot of stuff here, and beef cows are big business too--we're stuck buying unripe, tasteless stuff shipped in from across the country or across the globe. Peaches are in season right now, but do we find nice ripe Missouri peaches in Missouri stores? Nope. We find hard, tasteless, unripe peaches shipped in from South America or someplace. Ditto for tomatoes. And everything fresh costs an arm and a leg. Also beef is insanely expensive. Even hamburger is almost $5 per pound. Our food system makes no sense.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

80g of Protein in six eggs? .... they would have to be #ing Ostrich eggs for that amount lmao

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

It makes sense from a profit driven perspective, for example we pay more for Australian gas in Australia than Japan pays for our gas that they import...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

You fatist.

It was a joke man lol. A feeble one I admit, but a joke yeh.

Example: racist, sexist, .. . fatist .. . lol.

Nvm.

I do not care about the size of a person's body. I only care if that person is a good soul. And that's what I value.

I don't care about money either.

I don't much care about money either, but unfortunately our NHS service does and it runs on the damned stuff. I don't know how to sugar coat it, people that abuse their bodies and then place a strain on the NHS are selfish.

Smokers and drinkers pay huge duty in tax on those habits so they at least have some defence, I partake in neither. I try to stay healthy and do all I can to avoid needing the NHS.

Your health is more important than money, however in this system your health is at risk when there are millions of people weighing down the system, literally.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Tortuga

Yet on on NHS funding - it's a bit of a coin toss isn't it.

> If you are obese then you're likely to suffer increased health risk - heart disease, diabetes, cancer and all that. Big cost, but shorter life.
> If you are not obese, then you'll suffer a potentially costly old age - dementia, broken bones and so on. All the costs shoved into a longer life, with pension.

It seems to me the US heath industry has decided that fat people = less cost in the long run. I am sure economists have worked this one through.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

It seems to me the US heath industry has decided that fat people = less cost in the long run. I am sure economists have worked this one through.

That's pretty blunt, 100% correct and right on the money...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

80g of Protein in six eggs? .... they would have to be #ing Ostrich eggs for that amount lmao

Haha yes! I looked at the 'per 100g' listing on the info label, not 'per egg' my mistake - Decent egg is about 7g of protein.
...can you buy Ostrich eggs? That would be some breakfast feast I'd love to try!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Veggie stew, tomato based, with eggs in?
You bloody heathen.

I checked online and it does seem landlords have to provide proper cookers now.
I never got a free one when I rented.

Cornish pasties from greggs are the real cause of obesity. So its your fault, guilt by association.

Haha, I make some crazy mix-ups with my food groups. I'll stick a couple of tins of tuna in my veg stews, or sardines if I'm in the mood, but I've been dirt poor in my time (pasta and an oxo cube only food in the cupboards) so anything with multiple textures and flavours does me good with my trusty old cooking pot.

Cooker/ovens yes, a mate of mine owns 60+ properties which he rents out and he is constantly buying ovens and gas water boilers. It's illegal to rent a place out without them fully working.

...and Shh about our pasties! They are made with a different recipe for export out of the county, extra additives ,sourced from McD's which they put on their US fries, once you're addicted that's it, resistance is futile...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Like everything in life, if eaten in moderation and as part of a balanced diet (just reading the advisory here) Cornish Pasties are perfectly safe and beneficial, and contain essential vitamins and minerals for good health and long life.

In fact, Cornish Pasties are pretty good for you, especially if eaten with a pint of Tribute or Alfie's Revenge.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
They have to be eaten with a pint of Tribute to maximise the medicinal effects.
But only the locally bought pasty is safe, all the exports have additives which produce cravings for more after an hour os so.
Anyone fat from a pasty based diet is a victim of the chemicals which are added in production. Resistance is futile, they are all victims of big corporations and deserve the sympathy of society.
Eating too much and doing too little obviously isn't to blame, it is the evil pasty producers.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

> If you are obese then you're likely to suffer increased health risk - heart disease, diabetes, cancer and all that. Big cost, but shorter life.
> If you are not obese, then you'll suffer a potentially costly old age - dementia, broken bones and so on. All the costs shoved into a longer life, with pension.

Going with your assumptions it would mean that healthier people work for longer and therefore put more money into the system so I don't really agree that they cost more. A lot of the morbidly obese can't work, get disability payments and the support network that goes with that. They generally also pass on their poor eating habits to their offspring and so it continues. The NHS in 2016 spent £6 billion on obesity related illnesses and £5 billion on cancer treatment.

Some cancers can be avoided but 99.9999% of obesity can be avoided.

I don't have any solutions but my point still stands that draining a health resource with no regard to others by abusing your body is selfish. A problem that is growing and shows no sign of getting any smaller.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join