It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor people in the UK can't eat healthy food because...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Wish you hadn't given the medical crowd a pass. Sorry but I will rip my hair out if I see one more slob crying, "thyroid this," and, "you don't know that." Oh I forgot the, "I know I have tried EVERY diet and exercise in the universe." Sorry but even with ten thyroids burning all those calories you take in and getting calories from sensible foods WILL result in weight loss every single time. I love how people latch on to cop outs like, "my thyroid," and want the world to believe it doesn't just change their metabolism but it completely eradicates any relationship that food, exercise, and weight have for them.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

American food is cheaper than #. Everything in the USA is cheap. If you go to Canada for a loaf of bread, for example, it's nearly 5 bucks for a decent loaf in the US it's half that more like a buck fifty. Alcohol is dirt cheap compared to anywhere else.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

You want to really pump up your Metabolism quickly? Down a teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat
Sorry, I had to, and I'm angry with myself for not thinking of psychological addiction problems or mental health unwellness as two more of my caveats in the OP, I got crucified by that with people thinking I hate both groups of people.
When I author a thread I try to sew everything completely tight to avoid cheap lines of argument.
It doesn't always work though, I stated clearly that I don't hate fat people yet I was still accused of it by members who either didn't read it or chose to make the accusation to get easy stars from people who think being fat is never a personal responsibility thing.

I'm completely with you though that being fat on a bio-physical level is ALWAYS a case of more energy in than burned off, but still some folk argue against it and they even get stars for it! Who are these fools who deny the laws of physics and bio-chemistry???

Oh, did you see the one who made out most fat people are fat because of poor gut flora due to antibiotics as a child? LMFAO, even with such a problem, give them less energy than they burn off and the body WILL always start burning stores of excess fat. But every time I stated that I was called ignorant or it was ignored.
It's been a good laugh this thread, I'm glad I posted it, so please do go on ridiculing all the billions of people in the world who seem to have thyroid problems. Strange how in the 70's when pretty much nobody was fat no-one seemed to have thyroid problems...I wonder when and how that epidemic started?
[/sarcasm]

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Far too many people being judgemental, sanctimonious and just outright nasty.

There but for the grace of god and all that.............

Disappointing, thought many of them were much better.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
This one is tough because anyone that drinks alcohol specifically, will be addicted to sugar. The reason for this is that the parasites dwelling inside the body are craving it. All sugar cravings derive from parasites. Once you've dealt with those, the cravings disappear.
Interesting you say that because I gave up alcohol (for the next month until the next party at least) the same day I ceased smoking.
I was expecting withdrawal symptoms from that having gone to bed drunk every night since my mate fell off a cliff and died 2 years ago. But no, alcohol hasn't been an issue just intense cravings for nicotine.

I wonder how severe the cravings for sugar are? When I get over the nicotine withdrawals I may try it for a week or two to see how bad it is that people claim. But then if I come back and say meh, I was just a bit tired the fat sympathisers will just come back at me that I'm lucky I'm not wired that way for a sugar addiction. My retort will probably be bollocks, I'm a total junkie personality, Ive been addicted to things I can't mention on ATS, nicotine, alcohol, even body drugs like endorphines and adrenaline from sports and dangerous activities.
...but if someone absolutely thinks fat people never bear personal responsibility nothing will change their opinion, like religious zealots really.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Got any comments about the specific points in the posts or are you only going to complain about the posters?
You know on ATS that is against the rules.

EDIT
Perhaps quote some offending posts and argue against them instead of making a blanket statement which will be loved generically by the people who assert no fat folk bear any personal responsibility for their condition.
The crux of my OP stands though, those 3 arguments regarding poor people in Britain being unable to afford healthy food in the UK are myths, simply untrue.
Maybe I should have left it at that and not added my personal opinion, even though I have fat mates who happily admit they are fat because they are lazy and prefer to play xbox on ESA than get up and go to work.
And for the record before some tool chimes in that I'm putting them down, no I'm not, they are my mates, I don't care, especially when more money is lost to the UK from corporate fraud than benefit fraud. It's a #ing shame you HAVE to add caveats on ATS these days to avoid the bleating and wailing.

EDIT
And no not "there by the grace of god" I choose to eat a diet suited to my body and lifestyle so I don't get fat, or are you saying as well that the millions of fat people in Britain are victims of circumstance?
edit on 30-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

American food is cheaper than #. Everything in the USA is cheap. If you go to Canada for a loaf of bread, for example, it's nearly 5 bucks for a decent loaf in the US it's half that more like a buck fifty. Alcohol is dirt cheap compared to anywhere else.

I'm not sure where in the US you are comparing prices to, but they vary widely depending on the area.
In my area of the US, a loaf of store brand bread, with all the processing, chemicals, preservatives, etc, costs around $2.50-$3.50. A loaf of bread using less processed ingredients, what I would call "decent" runs you between $5-$7 dollars.
I've also noticed that the size of the store brand loaves of bread have been getting smaller, but the price is remaining the same.
Keep in mind, this is all anecdotal.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I eat very little bread, my starchy carbs come from pasta and rice, porridge oats or potatoes. Bread is not an essential to one's diet.
The cheapest nastiest bleached white bread near me is £00:45 for a full size loaf, damn, yours is expensive compared to mine.
My packed lunches for work are pasta or rice dishes I prepare in the evening packed in takeaway plastic containers which I pick at with a spoon through the day. Far nicer and healthier than sandwiches. I don't get the hard-on with bread by so many people, aside from toast I rarely eat it.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Got any comments about the specific points in the posts or are you only going to complain about the posters?

I'm generalising, just like many members have been in this thread.
Nothing personal.
You're not being overly sensitive there are you?

You know on ATS that is against the rules.

If a Mod feels I've contravened T&C they'll let me know.

edit on 30/7/18 by Freeborn because: Because I'm an idiot

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear about your mate. That's sad..

If you take black green walnut tincture, amazon.com has it, it kills the parasites that feed off you. And the cravings will cease.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Anecdotal yes. It undoubtably depends on where one resides. but on the whole, it's expensive. More so in Canada than it is in the United States by far. The American Dollar is worth a dollar thirty, the Canadian dollar is worth 77 cents.
edit on 30-7-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Oh gosh no I'm not being sensitive I just think in a debate forum that failing to actually contribute an argument against the actual points raised is the weakest form of argument. How can anyone debate against such a style of debate?

I was cranky with a member yesterday but I'll happily admit that was mainly due to my own current challenge with my nicotine withdrawals and my own personal battle to take responsibility for my own health and well being.
I blame myself for choices to drink and smoke too much, regardless of the life experiences which influenced my choices, it is always a choice.
I messaged the member to seek a truce though, haven't really had it confirmed it that he's willing to get over it yet but I have replied in a friendly manner to a reply of his in another thread.

...and it's cheap lines like 'are you being overly sensitve' that are not conducive to reasoned discussion.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack
Thanks dude, we partied for his birthday a couple of weekends ago though, fire, music, laughter and plenty of glasses raised. I'll never blame his death for me drinking too much though, I'll blame my choice to drink too much.
I'm off both booze and cig's though now and it is only cig's I crave so if black green walnut tincture helps I'll take Amazon's arm off for some lol, cheers, I'll search it.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Read 16 pages of judgemental generalisations.

I very rarely come into a discussion after 16 pages, that's not going to change.

Stated what I think, that's pretty much all I've got to say on the matter.

...and it's cheap lines like 'are you being overly sensitive' that are not conducive to reasoned discussion.

After previous discussions with you I thought you'd take it in the spirit it was intended, maybe I wasn't clear and transparent enough in my lightheartedness or....

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

If you need any help finding it let me know.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Sorry mate haha, always difficult to be sure through the media of typed words, I've taken some # in this thread though, and I'm not complaining because I knew what to expect when I posted the OP.
It's hard to know who is against me with some of the hostility my comments have provoked, I'm still kicking myself that I added my personal opinions in the OP, I would have sailed it if I'd stuck to the 3 factual arguments aginst claims that poor people in the UK cannot afford healthy food.
Note to self, learn from my mistakes

(non alcoholic cheers at the moment of course)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

My grandfather used to always say:
"Poor people have poor ways, otherwise they're not poor for very long."

I've yet to find a case where that isn't the truth (outside of disabilities, of course). Obesity is a problem among the poor, not because it's expensive to eat healthy, but because it's easier to eat unhealthily. I feed a family of 7 on $700/month. If I ate like a poor person, it would cost me a lot more. How do I know? When I was a poor person I was spending $500/month to feed 2 people.
edit on 30-7-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite
Poor also meant something completely different to his generation than our as well. Closer to absolute poverty than the relative poverty of today.
Majority of Britains poor have water, gas, Electricity, smart phones, game stations for the kids, flat screen TV's, satelite TV package, no 'real' hunger, shoes on their feet and clothes which havent been darned and repaired then handed down to siblings etc.
I can see why the older generations criticise my generations as whiners.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

My grandfather used to always say:
"Poor people have poor ways, otherwise they're not poor for very long."

I've yet to find a case where that isn't the truth (outside of disabilities, of course). Obesity is a problem among the poor, not because it's expensive to eat healthy, but because it's easier to eat unhealthily. I feed a family of 7 on $700/month. If I ate like a poor person, it would cost me a lot more. How do I know? When I was a poor person I was spending $500/month to feed 2 people.

If you were spending $500/month to feed two people, you weren't poor.

Try feeding a single person on $80/month. I did that for years, and I was still better off than some people around me.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join