It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who asked black woman for ID at pool loses his job

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I have no heartburn with the guy stepping down from being the All Powerful Lord and Master of the Association Pool.

(Trust me, that's not hyperbole.)

I have no issue with the HOA publicly announcing that they are opposed to racial profiling, etc. etc.

I have no real issue with the concept of "right to hire/fire" on the part of an employer.

HOWEVER ...

I have an issue with the man losing his job at Sonoco over this.

IF he has displayed inappropriate behavior AT WORK in the past, that's their call.

IF not, they overreacted and need to hire him back. A person's livelihood shouldn't be destroyed over one mistake.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I have no heartburn with the guy stepping down from being the All Powerful Lord and Master of the Association Pool.

(Trust me, that's not hyperbole.)

I have no issue with the HOA publicly announcing that they are opposed to racial profiling, etc. etc.

I have no real issue with the concept of "right to hire/fire" on the part of an employer.

HOWEVER ...

I have an issue with the man losing his job at Sonoco over this.

IF he has displayed inappropriate behavior AT WORK in the past, that's their call.

IF not, they overreacted and need to hire him back. A person's livelihood shouldn't be destroyed over one mistake.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Actually some have and there's numerous instances of false police reports.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

She had an access card. That is the standard proof of residency.

So you know this? I'm sure card's are never lost, stolen or handed out to those who don't live in the community breaking the rules in the process. If someone does that and comes in, then there is every right to question them. Is this guy supposed to be omnipotent?

So if a large transport van of 15 large American Samoan men jump out (looks like a football lineman's reunion) and enter the pool with a pass, and they have never been seen there before and members of the HOA don't know of any Am Samoan's living in the community, would it be justifiable to ask where they lived, for their names and addresses, especially if the sign in sheet was illegible or provided an incorrect address or name?

What if 2 van's of 30 people get out and take all the chairs and space in the pool. Is it then justified to ask? What if they were all white, or Indian?

What wouldn't be "racist" or "profiling". This situation seems more like a person with a guilty consience and expects everyone else to walk on eggshells.

So was this supposed to be let go just because it was a woman and child? Or should it have been let go b/c she was black? Or should it have been let go b/c she is an immigrant (assuming b/c of the accent..)?

Just when would it have been appropriate to verify that she wasn't using an access card inappropriately? Once was too much, so is the answer never? Are we to lay all liability for pool accidnets on HOA b/c we can't be afraid of hurting someone's feelings?

Now if she had been asked by the same guy day after day to provide ID or information, that is one thing, but this is totally within reason and should have been expected going to a community pool the first time.

This person sure doesn't want to be part of the community and is just ready to point fingers and play the victim card.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So what would happen if there was a rule that said "no one under 16 can attend pool w/o accompanying adult" and someone came in that looked 12 and the attendant didn't know them. Would they be justified in asking for ID or asking for the contact information of their parents so they could verify? If it is a rule for the HOA then there is right to ask those using the facilities to verify. PERIOD.

Now doing it over and over would be some kind of harassment or discrimination, but once by one person, for any reason I can totally understand and even expect if the HOA and home owners were liable for injury or accidents that occur in the pool.

What isn't clear about this. Do people just take what they "think" other people are doing and judge them by that? This thread is really disturbing.
edit on 7 8 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I didnt read any of that in the story except the attendant said he's asked all kinds of people for their ID over the years. Over years. Probably lots of kids.
If what you claim is true then why did he get fired from his job and get removed from the HOA?

He resigned from the HOA, he wasn’t removed. Given another HOA member asked him to request her ID and told him she had given a phony address, they would be ridiculous if they had removed him or asked him to resign.

It wasn’t made public whether he was fired from his job or he resigned but after reading his employer’s public statement, I think it’s very likely he was fired given they said his actions did not reprent Sonoco’s values.

You really should read more. You have a tendency to come into a discussion with a very thin understanding of facts.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

As Mr. Bloom told the officer, the cards tend to make their way around to non-residents.

I think the HOA should just issue access cards with photo IDs if it’s a problem. That way, everyone has to show ID...

...and no people/families have to lose income and relocate to safe places because of death threats.

edit on 7/8/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: tadaman

This guy is a complete tool. I cant hate people like him enough.

Obviously something rubbed him the wrong way and he couldn't deal with it and go about his business. The must be something seriously lacking in his life for him to do this.

... or something seriously lacking with this story.

How many times are you gonna get burned by poor little drama queens that turn out to be frauds before recognize the pattern?

edit on 8-7-2018 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph
Some people here clearly have issues seeing how quickly and how they get off on calling someone a racist. Do you get sexual pleasure out of it? Because that is the only explanation I have to how eager you are to label people as racist.

Yep. I think it’s apparent that some people do get some kind of sick pleasure or entertainment out of it.

One poster, in this thread — who has insisted Adam Bloom is a racist and deserved to lose his job — claims the monitor at his own neighborhood pool demonstrates racism on a daily basis.

At no point did this poster mention complaining about him to their neighborhood association and, in fact, they apparently still go to the pool daily effectively giving their support to racist business practices.

At least I can proudly say that I don’t frequent businesses and facilities where I have witnessed staff practice racial discrimination regularly. That’s why I am not fooled by this finger pointing. It doesn’t come from a place of genuine concern.

What kind of person spends their days at a neighborhood pool that they claim racially discriminates daily?

A person who supports racism? Or a lying racist who finds some personal benefit in making up accusations in order to exploit feelings of racial injustice?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Haha, what a tool.

Freakin' humans. Have to abuse any small amount of power they can get. Lame

That guy made me want to smack the sprinkler out of his hand.

"Dude, it's tight already, quit fn' twisting it!"

She was stupid for trying to follow him and get an apology after the situation was resolved.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Too bad I never kept a list and made a recording of every time someone ever mistreated me, disrespected me or called the cops on me or someone around me for no

Oh wait, nobody would give a rats ass because my skin isn't the right color...

But when a non-white person's day is inconvenienced, that's just downright blasphemous and we need to start an entire political movement to ensure that THESE SPECIFIC PEOPLE are Not Bothered under any circumstances!

Children's lemonade stands have been getting unfairly shut down for a while now. It's a thing. Maybe the one incident you decided to focus on was a cut and dry case of racism, I don't know, I just wanted to point out to you that that isn't the only child who ever had their stand shut down.

It may be the only one you would take the time to denounce, due to certain personal preferences you may have...or, alternately, may not have... that certainly is possible that you are really trying to be objective and only Appear to be biased. I won't look at your actions (or lack of actions) and call them racism just because they happened to involve a specific skin color because I can't read your mind. I'm not like you, I can't read minds and know which incidents were racism and which were not.

But whatever we do, let's not forget that woman who called the cops on the little black girls lemonade stand. It's ok to forget about everything else though. The other lemonade stands didn't matter. We dont need to remember those. But lets not forget that woman who called the cops on the little black girls lemonade stand. Definitely never gonna forget that one, cause That One inspires me to be angry at certain people who I already wanted to be angry at anyway, so That one we remember, because it just resonates really well with my inner hatred.
edit on 7/8/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/8/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Wow, do a quick search and see how many results there are for this critical breaking very very important world changing news event.

Hmmm, I think I have seen this before somewhere....

What could this possibly mean?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Not in some HOA situations. Just having a card to get in doesn't mean you're a resident. If the pool Nazi doesn't know you they will ask for ID to confirm your residency as explained extensively in earlier posts.
Actually the guy in this video was pretty cool when compared to some of these HOA patrols I've seen over the years. They ask anyone they don't know personally for some ID and with good reason as pointed out in several posts. This is the world of HOA. If she is a member of the HOA she should know this. If she is a visitor to the HOA she should have been advised by her host of the requirements to present ID. That is life in an HOA---they make the rules. As I said earlier, the way to avoid such incidents is to simply introduce yourself as a neighbor and get to know the members of the HOA board and the volunteers who do the patrols.

Deny ignorance people. Educate yourself a bit on how an HOA operates so you don't look completely foolish when making statements about situations like this. If this lady owns a home in the subdivision, her HOA contract came with her deed. It's not the patrol guy's fault that she neglected to inform herself of the rules under which she agreed to live.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: SR1TX

Depends on the agreement signed as part of the HOA.

NK would be preferable over some of them.

Bingo! My feelings as well as I've visited areas with these HOAs and been asked for ID, even when in possession of the "badge" or access card of the association.
Personally I don't want to live in a place that can tell me what color to paint my mailbox but that's just me so I'll never be buying property covered by an HOA. If Ms. Offended doesn't want to be asked for ID she should introduce herself around the neighborhood so they know she's a resident.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

He resigned from the HOA, he wasn’t removed.

So I suppose Scott Pruitt merely resigned from his role too as head of the EPA in the Trump administration? How about all those other resignations in the administration?

I'm familiar with management processes in today's working world. Resignation is often just an alternative approach to being pushed out of a position and that's exactly what happened to Mr Bloom. He was pushed out.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I have an issue with the man losing his job at Sonoco over this

Oh I had no issue. I slept well. Hopefully he'll set an example for others like him, especially those who support his actions on this board.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

He resigned from the HOA, he wasn’t removed.

So I suppose Scott Pruitt merely resigned from his role too as head of the EPA in the Trump administration? How about all those other resignations in the administration?

I'm familiar with management processes in today's working world. Resignation is often just an alternative approach to being pushed out of a position and that's exactly what happened to Mr Bloom. He was pushed out.

Yeah...I’m comfortable assuming there is no way in heII he wanted to be pool chair anymore and didn’t wait for the HOA to ask for his resignation.

Besides, since he had to take his family and flee because of death threats, I seriously doubt he was hoping to still commute back to the pool to monitor it.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Too bad I never kept a list and made a recording of every time someone ever mistreated me, disrespected me or called the cops on me or someone around me for no

Ok.

Oh wait, nobody would give a rats ass because my skin isn't the right color...

Do you believe the way this man went about this situation was right? Putting aside skin color?

Children's lemonade stands have been getting unfairly shut down for a while now. It's a thing.

It's a thing? Where? First I've heard of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Yeah...I’m comfortable assuming there is no way in heII he wanted to be pool chair anymore and didn’t wait for the HOA to ask for his resignation.

Tell me, do you think he wouldn't have gotten pressure from the HOA to leave his position? Since you're of the personal belief he resigned because he didn't want to be there?

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join