It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration agents arrest 114 in landscaper sting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: luthier

There is no evidence Americans want or would do those jobs

incorrect

there is plenty of americans doing the jobs currently and that is much evidence

"there is no evidence americans want or would do these jobs for the same wages that mexicans would." fixed it for you

Not really we are talking about low pay jobs. The owners make money not the landscapers. In reality you are talking about probably many hundred thousand jobs in Texas alone that would need filling. Again in 100 degree weather...

Let me guess you have never spent anytime in the SW..

srry you lost me there

i work in the heat and such and i am in texas

the problem is very simple

mexican migrants come up from mexico to work seasonally and when they get home their pay is worth ten times the amount it is in the usa.

most wanting to stay here in the usa are from other countries than mexico

if workers in the usa could reap a paycheck ten times bigger than minimum wage then they would seem way more likely to work

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Saiker

I love hearing from people on the front line of issues.

It's why ats is so great.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I like Mexicans. They love family, the food is good, and they work harder than the drunk white and black people I had to work with for the most part. Of coarse part of that is the way people view that type of work now but that is another conversation.

give them 10 or twenty years for the feminism and political correctness to eat a whole in the fabric of their lives and you will not like them as much cause they will be much like us then

just sayin that most immigrant communities over the decades have had those traits we admire but then progressiveness takes their soul.

no one will respect a mrs. america pageant without bathing suits and beauty

Sounds like a lot of whining.

The reality is when cities boom there are voids. Political rhetoric doesn't change that it just allows illegals to keep filling the voids. They get trucked in by the builders themselves who bribe and cheat the system.

Verify your workers
Create visas for shortages
Crack down on illegals.

But you can't do one without the other.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I can tell you from experience that landscaping companies in the south pay under the table more often than not.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

incorrect

"there is no evidence americans want or would do these jobs for the same wages that mexicans would." fixed it for you

Not really we are talking about low pay jobs. The owners make money not the landscapers. In reality you are talking about probably many hundred thousand jobs in Texas alone that would need filling. Again in 100 degree weather...

srry you lost me there

mexican migrants come up from mexico to work seasonally and when they get home their pay is worth ten times the amount it is in the usa.

if workers in the usa could reap a paycheck ten times bigger than minimum wage then they would seem way more likely to work

Lol. So your solution is to artificially increase a low skill job wages?

I now live in the NE where it is mostly white dudes landscaping. They get 10 to 12 an hour...

Again there are millions of illegals in Texas working. Perhaps you can't fathom those numbers.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Most people who have never run a business with employees have no idea....

A guy getting say 10 an hour legally is really about 18 to 20 an hour for the employer. Basically double after workman's comp, insurance, any type of bonding insurance for the company, ssi, healthcare..

So for those thinking land scapimg is a 15 to 20 an hour job well you can expect the cost to double or tripple.

That would include any state or federal property being mowed by illegals.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Agreed.

If the landscaping company down the road from me was offering 12$ an hour instead of the 9$ an hour that they are.
I would quit my at home job and go work for them.

I work at home because if i am going to work for chump change I might as well make my own hours.

If bernie were president we would have 15$ an hour minimum wage already.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

a reply to: nwtrucker

Well considering the new Govorner wd the AG I doubt it.

The fact is Texas is still booming. There are labor voids..these things are real which is why season visa and labor shortage visa programs need to happen.

I went to work in 2002 down there because they were literally blanketing the country looking for skilled carpenters, mill wood workers, and cabinet makers. When I arrived it was the wild west..when I left it was the wild west.

That's why I figure Trump will eventually end up using the labor shortage, it's occurring all over, to create a door for those here for extended time without other crimes to work their way into a citizenship position. Just speculation on my part, though.

I hope you are right. I don't care who the person is that does it but it needs to happen.

The visa would also start a record for how people act and work..

I like Mexicans. They love family, the food is good, and they work harder than the drunk white and black people I had to work with for the most part. Of coarse part of that is the way people view that type of work now but that is another conversation.

In my Washington State trucking, I work with Mexicans in Eastern Washington at the apple houses. They're better gringos than the gringos, in a lot of cases. My granddaughter is half Mexican.

I have to work pretty hard separating individuals and my respect and affinity from the group issue. I believe I've done it right....I think...

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

incorrect

srry you lost me there

Lol. So your solution is to artificially increase a low skill job wages?

I now live in the NE where it is mostly white dudes landscaping. They get 10 to 12 an hour...

Again there are millions of illegals in Texas working. Perhaps you can't fathom those numbers.

wtf are you putting words in my mouth

i gave no solutions

low skill?

so americans are doing the job for 10 bucks when most people including you have said they would not do the job at all

i think you should think before you post

this conversation started with you saying most americans would not do the job and now you say around you they do it for 10 buck

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Agreed.

If the landscaping company down the road from me was offering 12$ an hour instead of the 9$ an hour that they are.
I would quit my at home job and go work for them.

I work at home because if i am going to work for chump change I might as well make my own hours.

If bernie were president we would have 15$ an hour minimum wage already.

bernie would burn us both

decent ideas sometimes but in reality not stable as an operating system

i do give him credit for opening the dialog on such but he would destroy us with his bleeding heart

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Just a fact. It pushes everyone to operate that way.

I disagree, not the norm. A house built by illegals is the same price as the one built by legals. Living in San Antonio for 5 years I saw a lot of cash exchange hands. Saw a lot of illegal pickup and drop off areas where a contractor can go and get day workers who are skilled in what he needs....pure cash...cheap wages
edit on 5-6-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yeah most Americans aren't moving to Texas to become land scapers.

Texas continues to have strong population growth in the second decade of the 21st century. This growth is from a robust and balanced combination of natural increase and net migration that pushed the population to almost 28 million.

For each year between 2010 and 2016, Texas has had the nation’s largest annual population growth. During this period, the state added about 211,000 people per year through natural increase.

There is a void of labor to maintain the yards of people coming to Texas for higher paying jobs.

Yes low skill. Landscaping is a low skill job.

Carpentry is a moderate to high skill job do you expect to male more than carpenters?

Anyone can learn to cut grass, pour mulch, weed whack in a couple weeks.

Yes people around me where we wouldn't make an immediate 400k person void in the market get ten to twelve an hour to do landscaping.
edit on 5-6-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

a reply to: scraedtosleep

Most people who have never run a business with employees have no idea....

A guy getting say 10 an hour legally is really about 18 to 20 an hour for the employer. Basically double after workman's comp, insurance, any type of bonding insurance for the company, ssi, healthcare..

So for those thinking land scapimg is a 15 to 20 an hour job well you can expect the cost to double or tripple.

That would include any state or federal property being mowed by illegals.

you raise a point here i have always had problems with

healthcare and insurance are not supposed to be part of employment

i have always admired the sun contractors

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Just a fact. It pushes everyone to operate that way.

I disagree, not the norm. A house built by illegals is the same price as the one built by legals. Living in San Antonio for 5 years I saw a lot of cash exchange hands. Saw a lot of illegal pickup and drop off areas where a contractor can go and get day workers who are skilled in what he needs....pure cash...cheap wages

A house built by illegals is cheaper. Period. This has been studied and proven countless times.

Workman's comp, insurance bonding, healthcare, ssi, federal income tax...housing in Texas is cheap.

You can literally find dozens of articles and studies on this very thing. Texas is usually used as the model for cheap housing..
www.npr.org...

www.thedailybeast.com...

www.dallasnews.com...
www.foxnews.com...

www.forbes.com...

edit on 5-6-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

why do you want American's to make less money so people from other countries can retire?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Landscaping is a low skill job.

low skill doesn't = low pay your making the false assumption that skill is the only determining factor in weather someone is willing to do that job or not

one of the factors in determining a jobs value is weather or not someone is willing to do it or not, it's called supply and demand

it's a hard job that requires physical effort a lot of physical effort so less people want to do it meaning that the people who do do it will acquire better compensation, the reason why no one is doing it is because illegal labor is coming here and doing the job

that means the job is actually artificially less valuable because we are taking people from 3rd world nations paying them half the cost and then they go back to their country where that money is 3x more valuable

your position is ridiculous

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

why do you want American's to make less money so people from other countries can retire?

Why are you making things up. I am woodworker and life long carpenter.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Landscaping is a low skill job.

low skill doesn't = low pay your making the false assumption that skill is the only determining factor in weather someone is willing to do that job or not

one of the factors in determining a jobs value is weather or not someone is willing to do it or not, it's called supply and demand

it's a hard job that requires physical effort a lot of physical effort so less people want to do it meaning that the people who do do it will acquire better compensation, the reason why no one is doing it is because illegal labor is coming here and doing the job

that means the job is actually artificially less valuable because we are taking people from 3rd world nations paying them half the cost and then they go back to their country where that money is 3x more valuable

your position is ridiculous

Really a lot of land scapers making 50k a year in the north?

Nope.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Lost taxes?!?!

The vast majority of illegals pay taxes, but never file a return. Now maybe landscaping the owner was paying them cash, but only if his whole business was off the books and he wasn’t paying taxes at all..

BS. It's more like lost revenue. The percentage of illegals getting paid off the books, especially in Ca. is massive, last figure I heard was around 40%-50% of illegals not paying taxes. Illegals are costing american tax payers into the 100 billion mark a year. It's pathetic when Ca. starts crying about not getting enough Federal money back. Illegals are bankrupting Ca. 2% of illegals are picking fruit and 29% are on welfare and thats an old figure I believe, but still. Not to mention the fact that they're putting companies out of business, especially in the construction trade. I know because I happened to be one that could no longer compete with them and run a legitimate and legal business so I had to close down, also lost my house as a result.

People like you that condone illegal workers in the US don't have a clue about the real cost of illegal immigration. Why don't you give them your job or company, your house, pay for their medical, housing, food, utilities, etc....... Sound fair to you?

The only people that are for illegal immigration are either making money on them or haven't been affected by them. Which one are you???
edit on 5-6-2018 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

It's not the illegals not paying it's their employers.

The illegals pay their sales taxes and never get reimbursed. They own millions of homes as well.

The employers don't pay into the system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join