It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'm sure you remember everyone going ape-s_t about Katie Rich criticizing Barron Trump. Don't you? Do you remember Chelsea coming to his defense? I do. Partisan glasses dude. Kids have been off limits. It's not a fair comparison.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

I'm sure you remember everyone going ape-s_t about Katie Rich criticizing Barron Trump. Don't you? Do you remember Chelsea coming to his defense? I do. Partisan glasses dude. Kids have been off limits. It's not a fair comparison.

Uh yeah, I siad the same would have been said of chelsea, who was an adult while hillary was running

Its always the exact same story.

Left says

"You cant make fun of womens looks." Proceeds to make fun of people like sarah sanders looks.

"You cant make rape jokes" Preceed to make rape jokes about trump

"you cant pick on foriegn people who have trouvble with english" Proceed to pick on melanias accent

"you cant use vulgar language about women" procced to call ivanka that word

And on and on and on.

We know, there is always a reason why its ok for the dems to do it, and not the republicans.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I don't know if we can even call it hypocrisy anymore... or if it's now just the level of national dialogue.

No one is innocent. We can all find examples of one side saying truly vile and vulgar things about someone on the other side. But it doesn't even stop there. We've got plenty of examples of folks on both sides eating their own because that person dared cross the party line. We've got grown adults who viciously attack a minor survivor of a school massacre because "he did it first." Every day on ATS we see it. Even folks who aren't insulting or offensive or disrespectful in any way are responded to with insults and disrespect... and everyone can point a finger at someone else and say "they were worse!" as if someone else's bad behavior excuses their own bad behavior.

Those who like it -- and they come in all shapes, sizes and political persuasions -- feel empowered and embiggened by it and don't want it to stop. They don't want to be part of the solution. They want to be part of the problem. The foot soldiers in the divide-and-conquer campaign against us. And it's destroying us.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Funny how the Trumpian right gives itself the same pass of which they accuse the left of doing. Saying offensive things about minorities, women, blacks, Hispanics, and not having the decency to apologize, but doubling down, and people loving it. They use it to empower their inadequacies.

See where this goes?

Maybe some on the right should also hold themselves to the same standards, and maybe some on the left should too.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yes you are right people on all sides do this.

In my own little meaningless world, I have been accused of selling out for calling out trump on things like the syria strike.

In cases l;ike we are discussing, it seems like more often than not the "left" controls the cultural industires (tv,music, academia, etc.)

And over and over, they are hypocrites.

This doesnt excuse the other side, but they hacve much less power.

When they do have power, like religious leaders that attack gays or drugs, and then get caught having sex with male prostitutes and doing drugs, it is worth calling them out as well.

My point in calling out this hypocrisy we see from the people with power in culture isnt that I want the other side to start boycotting or demanding people be fired, its to understand that all of tghis outrage is phony, and as soon as their side is offensive, they will find reasons that their offense is acceptable.

Therefore we should stop tip toeing around for fear of offending tghem, because they are worthless hypocrites.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Funny how the Trumpian right gives itself the same pass of which they accuse the left of doing. Saying offensive things about minorities, women, blacks, Hispanics, and not having the decency to apologize, but doubling down, and people loving it. They use it to empower their inadequacies.

See where this goes?

Maybe some on the right should also hold themselves to the same standards, and maybe some on the left should too.

I love how the idea of an apology makes things better.

Do you think samatha bee and roseanne apologized because they are sorry they siad that, or because they are sorry there was repercussions?

I dont think either should have aplogized. They were jokes, they werent funny. But hey, humor is edgy, sometimes it doesnt work.

No need for an apology as far as I am concerned.

As far as trumps language, sure he has said some really dumb things. But he is no more racially or gender divisive than Obama, or many other politicians that are never chided or asked to apologize.

So yeah, I dont care nor want an apology from Obama, trump or any of the other people. They said what the felt, and thats fine by me.

I will either agree or disagree with them.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You're reaching on a lot of these (which is surprising since the right is supposed to be immune to emotional leaps, or so easily bruised). And do you really want to get into a tit-for-tat about which side says more offensive things? Cause you know as well as I do that it is heavily weighted, without even going beyond Trump's litany of insults.

Thing is, I'm not even really against a little dig here and there. But you better be damn witty about it so you don't just sound like someone with anger management issues.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

My point in calling out this hypocrisy we see from the people with power in culture isnt that I want the other side to start boycotting or demanding people be fired, its to understand that all of tghis outrage is phony, and as soon as their side is offensive, they will find reasons that their offense is acceptable.

Therefore we should stop tip toeing around for fear of offending tghem, because they are worthless hypocrites.

Ahhhh... I see where you're going now.

Yes. I like the faux outrage characterization much better. And yes, those expressing that faux outrage know it, but the target of their outrage don't. Now I'm thinking they're not so much hypocrites as just plain old lying liars!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Liquesence

See where this goes?

I love how the idea of an apology makes things better.

Do you think samatha bee and roseanne apologized because they are sorry they siad that, or because they are sorry there was repercussions?

I dont think either should have aplogized. They were jokes, they werent funny. But hey, humor is edgy, sometimes it doesnt work.

No need for an apology as far as I am concerned.

As far as trumps language, sure he has said some really dumb things. But he is no more racially or gender divisive than Obama, or many other politicians that are never chided or asked to apologize.

So yeah, I dont care nor want an apology from Obama, trump or any of the other people. They said what the felt, and thats fine by me.

I will either agree or disagree with them.

I don't necessarily disagree with the above, but:

Then what's your point, that

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes
?

Is that it? Because as stated, the difference is one is simply vulgar, the other is blatantly racist.

Both might be inappropriate, sure, but they are not the same and should not be treated as such.

ETA:

Yes, free speech covers both.
edit on 31-5-2018 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

You're reaching on a lot of these (which is surprising since the right is supposed to be immune to emotional leaps, or so easily bruised). And do you really want to get into a tit-for-tat about which side says more offensive things? Cause you know as well as I do that it is heavily weighted, without even going beyond Trump's litany of insults.

Thing is, I'm not even really against a little dig here and there. But you better be damn witty about it so you don't just sound like someone with anger management issues.

You think I have anger management issues?

hahahaha!

I keep hearing that, maybe you guys know something I dont.

I would say I am one of the most jovial, easy going people you will ever meet (maybe I am wrong?)

If making sarcastic comments or failed jokes on a message board is a sign of anger to you, I think you need to get out more.

I dont know what side is more offensive, but I am a bad person to ask, as very litte offends me.

I know without a doubt though which side claims to be offended more often, and demand people be fired or silenced for "offending" them.

And so its worthwhile to point out when they are hypocrites, because it shows they arent really "offended" they are just pretending to be to win a power struggle.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The differnece is more fundamental than that.

It is that the the people mentioned in the OP (those with cultural power) will make excuses up to say one is opk, and the other isnt.

Its why had a man made Samanthas comment to chelsea clinton, it would have been deemed sexist and evil.

Its why joy reid homophobic statements were ok.

It why a person that rapes a girl like roman polanski was allowed to be celebrated by the hollywood left for decades.

Its because there moral preening and peral clutching aabout being offended is a lie; the truth is they feel conservatives are bad and should be attacked when possible, but when their allies do the same things, it is ok.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Bee has every right to be as small and as partisan as she wants to be.

It's actually refreshing to see the open hatred from the left.

I guess they got tired of puppy rooms and primal screaming.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

No one is making excuses. One was simply vulgar, one was blatantly racist.

Its why had a man made Samanthas comment to chelsea clinton, it would have been deemed sexist and evil.

True. And if Roseanne was a black Muslim, making the same comments...but it's a pattern.

Polanski? Well, we have Weinstein indicted.

Morality and ethics are being systematically eliminated, and the "moral" party (the right) is embracing unethical morality while the left is holding their own accountable...including the right's.

But systematic discrimination and racism is also increasingly being embraced: THAT is the problem.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I just wish she was funnier.

All of these hosts like this are a single note; trump is bad. Ok at first even though I was a trump supporter, I laaughed at a lot of this (i found colberts holster comment to be funny)

But it just is so old and predictable now, its no lnoger funny to me. For people that thinks its funny, more power to them!

Though I have to admit, this phrase samantha said here kinda made me chuckle.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The left is hioding their own accountable!

Hahahahaha!

See now thats funny!

Finally some real humor!

Yep, roman polanski anally raped a 13 year old girl, and not only did the left celebrate him for decades, but they demanded the US drop charges.

But its cool because they held weinstein accountable after media companies tried to suppress the original story and it finally led to a public outrage they couldnt contain.

I mean yes, hundreds if not thousands of people knew what weinstein was doing and said nothing (or as leading feminist icon meryl streep did, called him God) but they are super moral because they are holding him accountable!

Hahahahaha!

That is priceless!

edit on 31-5-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Never seen her, so I can't guess on her act.

But you can only listen to the same joke a number of times before it gets annoying.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

NO! Ha. You misread what I wrote (or could've been poorly worded by me). I actually don't think you do. I was talking about people in the public eye making digs against each other and that THEY shouldn't sound like they have anger management issues, and if they are going to make a dig at someone else then THEY should be witty. Sorry for the confusion.
edit on 31-5-2018 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Oh it l;ooks like Samantha is still recieving her award tonight!

But good news, the Television Academy that is giving her the award for "advancing social change" has found a way to solve the problem.

They are banning the media from the event!

Reporters were barred from entering a Television Academy reception for an event honoring TBS late night host Samantha Bee on Thursday, the same day she faced a firestorm in the media for using a slur to refer to first daughter Ivanka Trump.

A spokesperson for the organization told The Hollywood Reporter and other media outlets that press would not be allowed to enter the reception ahead of the awards ceremony "as a result of today's events involving Samantha B," according to the Reporter.

thehill.com...

Absolutely hilarious!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Is it simply vulgar?

Calling a woman a c*** reduces her to the most vulgar depiction of her sex organ, so you're simply reducing all she is to her a single body part - her sex organ - and you are using the most vile depiction of that you can.

So if comparing a black person to a monkey is especially bad because it implies they are less than human, then what does it say when you reduce a woman to a single body part and call it by its most disgusting term? I'd say that's about on par. Both are dehumanizing.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

NO! Ha. You misread what I wrote. I actually don't think you do. I was talking about people in the public eye making digs against each other and that THEY shouldn't sound like they have anger management issues, and if they are going to make a dig at someone else then THEY should be witty. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh my bad I did misread you.

I didnt take it personal anyway.

But yeah, there are pearl clutchers on all sides that cant wait to get in a bhuff.

Its so absurd to me.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join