It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is Nick Pope bulls---? let's discuss

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hey there! This is more opinion/rambling than it is factual research. So someone wrote an interesting comment in a thread recently, about finding "something off" with Nick Pope.

I have to agree, but instead of simply writing "I agree" figured it was worth a bit of expansion. Pope lives behind a convenient veil, and I think it's time we shatter that and if necessary, call him out for being the bull# I think a lot of people have found or find him to be, in some cases way before now.

From Nobody To... Still A Nobody

So Nick Pope basically got a job in his early adult years in an "admin" department of the MOD. And basically, that's where he stayed for the entirety. When you think about it, and read the little info that's out there about his history, one prevailant image springs to mind. For a lot of people, I think there was this glamarous assumption that he lead the "UFO division" or something from some special Fox Mulder-esque office, but IMO, that is bull#. You know it's bull#, I know it's bull#, we just let the Mulder fantasy over-ride it, and newspapers exploit that fact.

His work space was most likely more akin to this:

This is the kind of work environment that seems to resonate from his "Secretariat (Air Staff) known as Sec (AS) 2a" job. Like I said all that job really is, is admin. Filing things into neat piles for people much higher up the pay chain than himself. Pencil pushing, desk jockie, whatever you want to call it.

He didn't work on any secretive or major operational site, he didn't work for any secretive division. He worked in a #ty office crammed in with 50 others and was probably no higher or lower in rank than anyone else in that room, ever. He was admin. It just so happened that the thing he was "admin"-ing happened to be popular with MSM.

Co-Workers Don't Want To Associate

Now, imagine you work in that environment. Imagine you are one of the other 40 people in that office, you do your job hard like everyone else there. But one guy, sat at the back, well he has to handle all the "UFO" incoming mail, and for some reason, this guy keeps getting media attention. He's the one person in the "Secretariat (Air Staff) known as Sec (AS) 2a" section that is different to everyone else.

And I'd imagine this led to some ridicule. I doubt very much that this nerdy douche was exactly "admired" by his colleagues. His demeanour alone suggests he was never revered by others (in the workplace at least). The dude couldn't escape Britain fast enough when he was made redundant. What does that tell you? It suggests to me that he has little or no friends in the UK, possibly no family, and definitely no-one from the MOD or his former rank wants anything to do with him.

Yeah, I think you'll find Pope was probably the butt of the jokes in the office. I reckon the majority of other staff at the MoD hated him. It's not like you ever hear of him forging any friendships, it's not like any other MoD staff got invested in the UFO stuff or became his wing-man or woman. He was a #ing joke to them.

No Friends, No Family

He comes across as a weedy dork. There's that classic video of him turning up at Rendlesham with his briefcase and he doesn't assert any dominance. In fact the others in the video don't really seem to give a # that he's there. His favourite UFO photo evidence (or one of them at least) is a #ing reflection on a window in Basingstoke. He seems like a pretty awkward little man to be around. Granted, I don't know for sure - but anyone who's seen him at a convention might be able to testify to his awkwardness/social skills. I honestly doubt they're anything to write home about.

I mean, he doesn't actually DO anything for the UFO community. He doesn't advocate for truth, he doesn't press for evidence, he doesn't undertake his own investigations, no matter how small. He just takes what's handed to him and rides that wave. But I'm sorry Popey-boy, really, it's time you and your UFO affiliation got put on the pyre where you belong, and ultimately have belonged for many years now.

Fame For All The Wrong Reasons

He's a mouth piece because the media made him one, not because he earned it, or has the skill to be one. But hey, you have a # job in a # office but The Sun want to talk to you because you handle some incoming mail about lights in the sky. Clearly, this boosted his ego. If anything, he got "famous" off the backs of normal people reporting UFOs. There's nothing cool or even particularly honourable about that. Again, #ed off to America the first chance he got cos yeah, his credentials don't really stand up here like they do out in the USA. I think he knows us Brits can't be fooled quite as easily as the American populous. Not saying you guys can't smell bull# a mile off, more that you are able to give a wider-berth to the bull# itself than we do here in the UK.

Pope's final posting in the MoD was to the Directorate of Defence Security.

A line from his Wiki. You know, he could just as well have been the tea-boy in both positions. And that makes sense. First he was general admin then he was admin for the defence focussed segment. His role never advanced, it just moved to a different department. And even then, the most that was, was probably different email getting routed to his desk lol.

Just Piss Off, Please, Pope

He's just a 2 dimensional desk jockey that under any other circumstance you and I wouldn't give a # about. We only do because: UFO. And for me, that is no longer "reason enough". So next time you see Nick Pope on ancient aliens, remember, he's a #ing joke at the best of times, that no-one in the MoD gives 2 #s about him or what he did in that role. He can do us all a favor by #ing off, as Jim Carrey once said, "Sometimes you owe it to the world to get out of their faces".

But hey, this is merely opinion and it's open to discussion. If you think his role as a glorified reader of the MUFON database warrants his fame and reverence in UFOlogy, by all means speak of it. I honestly don't like many of the "UFO celebs" cos I feel "famous for the wrong reasons" applies to most all of them. And don't get me wrong, I know it sounds like I "disrespect" Pope but it's not really that per se. It's good that he attends the conventions, that he is contactable (or at least was, I don't know anymore). The thing I hate though is that everything about him is VAGUE at best. As I said originally, there is this "veil" which he conviniently hides/stands behind (whichever way you view it). And I think he needs to come clean about how bland and "nothing" his job in the MoD really was, before some angry # like myself does a full on expose and save him the embarrassment.

What do you think? Is Nick Pope bull#, or the real deal? And if he's the real deal, can you explain to me what it is that makes that so, please? thx lol

ps. He's listed on Wiki as a Journalist. That should, if nothing else, give you a good impression of how menial his job at MoD actually was.

For more insight into the life of Nick Pope, check out "Reggie" in the series 11 X Files episode "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat"

edit on 26-5-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat May 26 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: vulgarity in title

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Did Nick hurt you ? J/k

He is a disinformation agent. Not a very good one. Imho
edit on 26/5/18 by cosmickat because: (no reason given)

F just cause the insults made me Lol
edit on 26/5/18 by cosmickat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
He saw nothing in his position and just jumped on the money train

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Most people in UFOlogy, famous researchers and wannabees included
are noisy air bags, who at best are deluded scientists, and at worst
are actively spreading disinformation for money, or are just useful
idiots.

This is the ugly truth most of us don't want to acknowledge.

Only of course, most of us have a handful of people that we say are
immune to this, and who we give a "pass" for no good reason.

Then we fight each other over our selections, and make sure that
we are so fragmented as a community, that we seldom do anyting
positive that moves anything forward.

Welcome to UFOlogy, where the central thing studied never even
existed, at least not in any recognizable form anyone wants to
admit to.

Kev

+6 more 
posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: markymint

First of all, Mr Pope is NOW a journalist, because his experience in the research and archival aspects of his job at the MoD, as well as his intimate familiarity with the subject matter that was the focus of his work with the MoD, make him an ideal commentator for matters relating to his previous work.

Furthermore...

You made some fairly concerning statements and assertions in your post, and I would like to address the thrust behind them. You refer to Pope as "nerdy" a man incapable of asserting his "dominance". The use of these descriptors suggest that you have a problem with people who are intellectual, and as a result of their intellect, have no time for the petty, low brow, knuckle dragging concerns of those who think that dominance is important. It is not. Your problems with people of intellectual value should not be permitted to colour your understanding of events, or indeed the work that Mr Pope has done.

Now, for all that, Mr Pope was a G man, a paid government operative. Trusting his word on matters, simply because he had a job with the MoD, would be as daft as trusting a fox to look after the hens, despite having feathers sticking out of its muzzle. But the reasons to be distrustful of his commentary have NOTHING to do with his being a nerd or being unwilling or unable to assert himself over a room full of people.

The best human beings ever born have no time for such pathetic, backward and regressive tendencies, as the habit of asserting oneself over a space. That is frankly archaic, and even as much as I am a living anachronism in many respects, I cannot for the life of me understand why you think these things of even the most shallow importance, especially now. This is the twenty first century. People who fit the descriptors you have used for Mr Pope above, are responsible for managing nuclear power stations, dams, operating elements of rocket launch control in space agencies, monitor, maintain and control war drones, keep your internet functioning, and make sure that traffic signals are not getting people killed by being on the fritz constantly.

The world in which you are living now, is only possible because of people very much like him. Thats not to say I believe a damned word out of his mouth, but your stated reasons for your distrust, speak more of your aversion to intellectually advanced individuals, than it does about his actual worth as a source.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
He reminds me of a nerdier John Oliver, who I can’t stand either. Another one on there that grinds on me is David Childress. If Georgio told him the NFL is all alien athletes, he would say “absolutely, I can see that. Where’s the camera and I’ll say it”. He has no ideas or expands on anything. He just nods and agrees with whatever crap falls out of people’s mouths.
And Phillip Coppens died years ago, yet still appears in almost every episode. I think they are just taking care of his family by keeping the checks coming but it makes you wonder how much new stuff they are actually researching.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
He's made a good living out of telling the same short story over and over again..And it's a # story.

I'm going with Bull#ter on this guy.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Did Nick hurt you ? J/k

Haha, no not exactly, it's just that all he ever did was

- Receive UFO reports
- Speculate about those reports

Someone here, writing a thread about a UFO case, is essentially doing "more" for the community, for UFOlogy. Some folks just don't deserve to be put up on a pedestal, they didn't earn it through any hard work or dedication - the pedestal got thrust upon them, in UFOlogy there's a number of them (as Kev points out) but when it comes to what's "off" with Nick Pope I believe this is a key reason, but one that probably doesn't spring to mind first and foremost. Call me bitter, jealous, whatever - not bothered lol. As I said I never really put any worth into any of the "celebs", but some of them do actually do some interesting and useful things behind the scenes beyond conventions and ancient #ing aliens.

LOL TrueBrit. I appreciate your candid nature, as always. But I don't fully agree with you. I don't think he's very intellectual at all. Far from it, in fact. He probably got handed the UFO stuff in the office because he was the less competent one. I mean think about it. By receiving UFO reports, he's not doing the important, essential busywork that you describe. Yes he may be the funnel for the important "sightings". But you honestly think the buck stopped with him? Like, those that needed to know, didn't already know, via military generals, air force base operations managers, radar operators etc? That Nick Pope was really the first to know about what we now, in 2018, with TTS footage and just general progression of our understanding, consider to be the real meat, the real "other wordly" stuff? Nah, and to think he was really ever a part of that is naive IMO. He was mail handler for the riff raff, and that's about it.

Whilst his nature is of course, by no means an "issue", I think it's just a "tell" for the deeper vagueness about him. You can't apply the notions of "professor", you can't apply the notions of even "loving husband" -- I mean he's just a blank slate. And we all know blank slate people exist and they are generally low-key, never made much of themselves, take what little they can cos they can't manifest things for themselves so easily kinda people. That doesn't = a bad person. It just = a certain structure of a person. It = their mettle. Whether they have any or not. And UFOlogy needs people with mettle, not people with.... admin skills and access to a glorified MUFON database (when they had it, they don't anymore LOLZ). Anyway, I'm not very PC, not at all in fact, and if I want to call admin jobs unskilled I will. I broke free of those structures for this very reason, to call those structures bull# whenever I feel like it. But you are right - people do fill important roles with work and jobs I would never want to do and I do respect that. But # me is Nick Pope not one of them.

(EDiT: and, are there any trustworthy journalists out there? I thought in this day and age they were all considered disinfo agents ..? so "journalist" isn't exactly the greatest title one could earn, at least, again, in my mind its very "meh" lol)

Anyway, as I say, if he can do the right thing and get out of all our faces, that's all that's needed. If he will continue on, then he can expect people like me to call him out for being a relatively paper-thin, unnecessary, not transparent at all, part of all this. Sorry not sorry I suppose, I don't want to incite hatred, it's just, well don't show your #ing face where it may not be welcome if you don't want the vitriol. Have freaking substance if you're going to be in the public sphere - not whatever Nick Pope is. To be honest, the more UFO celebrities we can take down the better, cos then UFO TV programming will need to become investigative, you know, like it always should have been...
It's okay to like Pope. I did. And he is much less of a voice in this whole thing now which I am glad about. But clearly he's been perking up again here and there, cos this thread exists due to a comment about him on a recent TV show. And honestly feel, he needs to be "the bigger man" and just step away. His time came and went, he's history now. Enjoy that redundancy paycheck and Green Card but stay away from the LA tv studios, for the love of god, and UFOlogy, if you really care about it beyond the $$$, please.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Decent bit of profiling, even if it is a bit swayed by your own dislike of Pope to maybe paint him at a worse level of social acuity than may be relevant. But that's just my opinion. Still, it seems like you have some solid structural (psychological) insights to build a model of his persona on.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

Decent bit of profiling, even if it is a bit swayed by your own dislike of Pope to maybe paint him at a worse level of social acuity than may be relevant. But that's just my opinion. Still, it seems like you have some solid structural (psychological) insights to build a model of his persona on.

Haha, well being "middle of the road" and sitting on the fence makes for some pretty #ing weak discussions in my experience. But thank you!

This information could just exist, but it doesn't. Gladly, tell me the truth with substance about his past and I will eat my words. But it ain't out there, even in minimal capacity. Yet he's been a part of UFOlogy for probably decades now. I #ing hate vagueness about people, especially if they expect to teach generations future via TV show debuts. # off you #ing hack, etc etc..
Videogame characters, characters in novels, have more depth and backstory than this guy, and they don't even freaking exist!! Ok, apologies for the swears on this PG-13 rated website full of mostly 18+ adults but I like 'em

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

No f*cking worries here.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Let's be factual instead of jumping to conclusions about Nick.

It should be pointed out that there was no "UFO Desk or Project" at the UK MoD. So Nick was never head of any such project. His job description at the MoD is a matter of record in MoD File DEFE 24-2000. It was mainly a desk job that involved dealing with queries from the public and media.

His father Geoffrey Pope was senior civil servant.

Nick is now what I would call a media entrepreneur. There is no real market for UFO mythology in the UK or Europe. So he headed west.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

Always the best approach.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Great Thread!! I don't like the Pope...I don't even like Catholics!

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Cool, thanks. And those facts lead to the conclusion I made, that he got put up on a pedestal he didn't earn or really deserve. But that is perhaps more our own faults for consuming UFO media like crack addicts for 50+ years.

Yes, lets look at the facts about Nick Pope, gladly. But oh... there aren't any. He worked a desk. He wears glasses. Ladies and gentlemen, Nick Pope! (you are right though, if there WERE facts out there about him beyond literally ONE single sentence, I would happily work from them, hehe)

So what's off about him is that we really don't know anything about him. He's not relatable as a human being. He's not a "friend" to UFOlogy. You and I have friends, we have them and consider them friends because we know a little more about them than "they had a desk job between 91 and 94" -- and yet that's the whole stretch with Pope. When you go looking for some sort of substance, some sort of semblance that he is a decent human being, all you get is a TV interview (with the same story on repeat, as someone rightly mentioned) and a "he had a desk job once" piece of fact. Like I said, a paper-thin mail-handler for the riff-raff masses put up on a pedestal that was never truly earned. And I'll respect him for that, sure, it just doesn't equate to much respect at all, I'm afraid lol.

TBH, we can have an "is XXX bull#?" topic for pretty much all of 'em. They all deserve it, really

Nick Pope isn't my beau and he isn't your beau either. We owe him nothing. Yet, I am very open to learning more substance about Pope, and will weight it accordingly. Problem is, through til now, I don't think any of us can weight it properly. So I call bull# because he's paper-thin as a person. UFOlogy benefits from honest and open people. Not those that hide behind a convenient obfuscating veil that he always has. I've also got a lot more time for "boots on the ground" ufologists and investigators who actually do the ground work for the subject matter over desk jockey Tv appearance admin clerks. That's all
Pent up anger mode off. re-activating need for blowjob mode.

OT but "not trusting Pope" themed for olaru...!

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well for starters Nick Pope wasn't made redundant, he resigned from the MoD in 2006.

He worked at the MoD for 21 years, from 1985-2006, this would at least allude to him being competent at his job/jobs. He "worked" on UFOs from 1991, his job was to work upon the defence significance of UFOs if you could call it that, to investigate the potential threat. Ot was more like documenting public sightings and potentially forwarding such things, such sightings wouldn't have got anywhere anyways. It's always been the MoD's position that UFOs pose no significant threat. He wrote plenty of material to challenge such a position whilst working that crappy office job.

So he was competent enough to work the job whilst also holding a contrary position to that of the actual MoD.

I'm fairly sure his work at the MoD, particularly on the investigation of potential threat of UFO's took up around 40% of his work load. Meaning he was doing other jobs at the MoD whilst working on the "pointless and useless" job.

Personally, I think Nick is a mouthpiece. It's obvious to me that he has used his background to further his journalistic career. Tell me anyone in the field who share at least a level of competence who hasn't done such things?

The ufo field is filled so called investigators who are hardly qualified to investigate a case of the common cold. They'll say it's malaria or some nonsense.

Anyways, having actually read all those MoD files he was in charge of, even if he wasn't in charge but just the "front of house" guy for the actual department I have to say this; He challenged the official MoDs POV on the subject and within his liaison work with the general public who contacted the department he happened to work at he tended to point the into the right direction for them to further investigate their own sighting.

So he was competent at his work. He didn't agree fully with the MoDs position on the subject and he assisted somewhat the curious general public that contacted the department he worked within.

Make of that what you will. Personally I'm not interested on his work with TV or his TV personality. For.me that side of ufology is mostly crap anyways and appeals to people who follow ufology to be armchair experts who are willing to be entertained for 45-60 minutes and do literally nothing more.

He's in the entertainment business...

I'm somewhat curious as to why you seemingly hate him so much but then again you're just an anonymous person on a conspiracy site.

At least he's in the very very dim limelight... I suppose it's good to scrutinize such people, to have a feel for what their motivation is.
edit on 26-5-2018 by RAY1990 because: Clarifying.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I don't hate him. I'm just not convinced by him at all. Every time I try to research him it draws up blanks, it equates to one or two sentences. I felt like making a thread at the end of it this time round, cos that recent Reggie X Files episode is almost a bit of an homage to the Nick Pope's of the world, and someone else mentioned they found something off with him, and I had that revelation about his work environment, all recently, that's all
I'll speak to the guy, have emailed in the past, but I would have opposing and strong views about his line of work/tv appearances nowadays, as I would with a lot of UFO "celebs", his official position and his "unofficial" one irk the realist in me. I liked him when he was sort of the only name in UFOlogy I knew. Then I spoke to and came to know others in the field, and all the work they do, compared - all of them seemed much more substantial than he.

Yeah sure he resigned. That again is all part of the "vague" information about anything to do with Pope. I'm sure he was well aware they were phasing out his role, gave him time to pack up. He stuck around for as long as the job was there afterall. They shut down the resources, got rid of his secretary's job (if he even had one, I doubt it nowadays). They finished with the human element in 2006 and shut the servers down and the website and contacts by late 2008. Nah, I don't buy for one minute that he actively chose to "retire" or such. Again part of this profiling. He knew his days were numbered. He knew he had no career opportunities here in the UK beyond pundit we'd all laugh at, as someone else says we're not producing UFO media here in the UK, we just don't give a #. Again, dispel this - at any time - I'm working from the same few sentences you guys are.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wow, OP. That's a whole lot of hate made up from your own mind. Pope is actually a fairly prudent man in a field made up largely of self-important blowhards. We'll start with you. You haven't shown a bit of evidence that you are even familiar with the UFO field. You've just engaged in an unnecessary personal attack. It lacks credibility. I'll take Pope over you any day.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Nah, grow up. I'm a person with some opinions. This is an internet forum for opinions and discussion. Diverse ones at that, potentially controversial ones at the best and worst of times. So if it's alright with you, even if it's not tbh, I'll stick to that fact. Take whoever you want over whatever you want, why would I care? I wrote some opinions for folks to put in their ideas and thoughts but sure, this is ATS - you literally just count the seconds before the first person comes along overtly offended direct personal reply to someone who wasn't speaking to anyone directly in the first place, "oh dear, one of those", lol well done, you win the prize. I didn't ask for Nick Pope to be tagged onto every #ing UFO paper article or TV show, did I. But he's there, so I'll make whatever judgements I please, as will soooo many others. But you know, maybe you can stop it all from happening with replies like that...

If you're going to be a TV persoanlity, or a Youtube celeb, or a prolific author, or a controversial musician - you damn well better be ready for a myriad of differing opinions about yourself. Or you know, just build yourself a safe-space and hire someone to delete all the vitriol like Ashley Judd!

The beauty of it is that I'm NOT a tv personality. I'm not a known name in UFOlogy. as someone says I'm an anonymous conspiracy website user, giving me the ability to be a rude little # about TV personalities, if I so choose to be, with little repercussion. I've been asked to appear on tv shows in the past due to my interests, but have denied because one I'm private (and do like anonymity) and two because I don't feel qualified enough to talk about the things they wanted me to appear for. Point is yes I am a nobody, and that is juuuusst fine with me and I actually have the ability to recognize that my opinions out in the public sphere are probably not the best thing to adorn the world with. Smoke dope, # hot blondes and call Nick Pope a douche, not exactly tv friendly material is it
This thread isn't about me. If it was it'd be "is markymint bull#?" but why would anyone want to focus on that? I'm not a TV UFO personality shoved in your face at every turn. If I was you'd actually have something to talk about/have an opinion on...and I'd hope I would respect that fact. It would've been my choice to say yes to every #ing ancient aliens paycheck, wouldn't it, so I'd deserve the scrutiny.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

It should be pointed out that there was no "UFO Desk or Project" at the UK MoD. So Nick was never head of any such project. His job description at the MoD is a matter of record in MoD File DEFE 24-2000. It was mainly a desk job that involved dealing with queries from the public and media.

His father Geoffrey Pope was senior civil servant.

Nick is now what I would call a media entrepreneur. There is no real market for UFO mythology in the UK or Europe. So he headed west.

MM delivers again! Many thanks!! Keep on, keeping on — (to borrow from the OP’s assertion about being redundant ) — you’re a true gem of ATS.

edit on 26-5-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: Ugh! Mobile...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join