It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about getting composite vehicle armor installed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Despite my relative long distance from large metro areas, I am considering having one of our vehicles outfitted with composite armor as well as other anti-kidnapping/anti-carjacking measures, primarily for peace of mind/future SHTF scenario

www.youtube.com... -One company I've looked at. Another is "Texas Armament Corp"

My primary focus is against handguns and blunt mechanical force (for both weight and cost reasons).

Anyone have any experience in armoring a vehicle? Does this significantly reduce MPG? Wear and tear, due to increased weight?

EDIT: It looks like this would cost anywhere from $10k-$30k, but it varies greatly depending on the threats the armor can defeat
edit on 5/21/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Why not jus buy a used armored vehicle instead of convert one?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You may be able to reinforce some of the doors/panels yourself, if your handy. Otherwise I'd think city fuel economy would be hit the hardest. Freeway(sustained speed) fuel economy has more to do with drag and gearing than weight.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Despite my relative long distance from large metro areas, I am considering having one of our vehicles outfitted with composite armor as well as other anti-kidnapping/anti-carjacking measures, primarily for peace of mind/future SHTF scenario

www.youtube.com... -One company I've looked at. Another is "Texas Armament Corp"

My primary focus is against handguns and blunt mechanical force (for both weight and cost reasons).

Anyone have any experience in armoring a vehicle? Does this significantly reduce MPG? Wear and tear, due to increased weight?

EDIT: It looks like this would cost anywhere from $10k-$30k, but it varies greatly depending on the threats the armor can defeat
I mean, unless preparing for the apocalypse or going to a few more dangerous places, I think it's such a low probability of happening that the expense isn't worth it. I live in the hood in NYC, and just came from working all morning in another. In a suit no less. No problems..

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

At first, all I could think of was some of the old 7 series and S class' that had the level 2(iirc) protection on them. You can find them on the used market for less than the cost of a conversion, but then there isn't much utility there. However, spurred by your comment, i'd have to assume that some security companies have older tahoes/yukons/etc that where converted and are eventually sold on the used market. That would be a good route to look into.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

What kind of enemies are you anticipateing?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

At first, all I could think of was some of the old 7 series and S class' that had the level 2(iirc) protection on them. You can find them on the used market for less than the cost of a conversion, but then there isn't much utility there. However, spurred by your comment, i'd have to assume that some security companies have older tahoes/yukons/etc that where converted and are eventually sold on the used market. That would be a good route to look into.

They are a dime a dozen these days. Even full armored tactical vehicles can be purchased and pretty cheap.

Armored cars.com

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I would certainly think there'd be gently used ones, y'know ones that haven't been shot at, available.

I wonder what the lifespan of kevlar body panels are...

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
www.shtfblog.com...
Want an Armored Vehicle to Drive Around? What You Need to Know

Nearly any vehicle can be armored. How much armor it can withstand depends on many factors but is typically limited by the suspension, brakes and weight capacity of the vehicle. Most armored vehicles have modified suspensions and brakes to accommodate the added weight. Some need little to no modification such as a Ford F-550 or other heavy duty trucks as they are designed to carry heavy weight. All armored vehicles at the time they are manufactured are equipped with run flat tires.......

In the US the average person typically can not purchase an armored vehicle. You need to have a business or personal justification for an armored vehicle as well as any required permits and certifications.......more at link

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

They are a dime a dozen these days. Even full armored tactical vehicles can be purchased and pretty cheap.

Armored cars.com

Great link, thanks. I'm checking that stuff out.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I wonder what the lifespan of kevlar body panels are...

Not great in the context of the outlay costs to uparmor, combined with wear and tear, MPG, etc although expired Kevlar is still marginal protection.

Outside of very few applications, I don't see why anyone would do this. And even then, you're better buying a dedicated conversion.

If you must, just get a one-ton diesel or a two-ton, line a few panels with thin High Hard as the strike face and use skinny phone books as a spall liner inside the panels. You'll come in way under budget, and it will stop most rounds at a distance enabling you to make your getaway.
The cost on resistant glass is obscene, so good luck with that aspect.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

For SHTF I would be more worried about food and ammunition on hand than worrying about my vehicle.
There is no guarantee that gasoline will be readily available after SHTF.
If a major earthquake is what sets off SHTF then you can bet all those gas stations will be useless.
When SHTF I will be more concerned about keeping a low profile, a vehicle that uses a motor is going to very loud and potentially draw unwanted attention,not to mention if it looks armored it will likely become a target of looters/scum/bandits/thugs.

I'd rather have my rough looking sack that is is loaded with everything I need,the best way to stay alive is to always be on the move. If you aren't in shape then you won't likely survive SHTF unless you have a sealed bunker with everything you could possible need in it.

That is just my opinion though, I don't know for certain how it will be nor do I claim too, I'm sure everyone has a slightly different idea how it will be. I just pray that should it come to it that I'll be able to stay out of sight of those who might do myself or others harm.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If you are so afraid why not stay home. There is an old foxhole saying, if it's your time to go, its your time to go and no matter of preparations will help. One could be shot 50 times point blank and walk away or you can stub your toe on the way to the bathroom at home and fall and hit your head and die, hence if it's your time to go.

In a real SHTF situation whether from war, civil unrest or some other major natural event, why would you want to hang around. If lots of others are gone in an instant, how long can one really survive ? Without a source of clean water, more than a bunker can hold or food that one could grow unfettered, then not long. Just why ? Live life as always, worry about what if's kill more people than any SHTF scenario

And spray on bed liner is a better and cheaper plus lighter preventive measure one could take advantage of, an episode of Mythbusters showed it's effectiveness against IED situations, but I say embrace death as much as we embrace life and life goes on.
edit on 5/21/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

"Armored Cars" (like the banks use) dont use steel. They use layered aluminium. Its about the layers, not the thickness per se.

So just DIY!

Should just need a ton of tin foil and spray adhesive. You can have it done this weekend!

PS: Does not anyone realize there's a Survival forum here at ATS?!
edit on 21-5-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Against pistol rounds, soft armor would do, so the weight would not be nearly as much as having to add steel plate armor. I bet if you research enough on youtube you could probably somehow do it yourself for much cheaper if you were so technically inclined to do so.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
silk will stop many kinds of ammunition. Perhaps price out some heavy duty industrial silk and make a sandwich of many layers using epoxy or similar compounds and cut them into the right shapes to fit on your vehicle?

i bet there are lots of ways to do this on the cheap.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

One can order sheets and rolls of kevlar fabric as well. Maybe some oter exotic fabrics like teflon (Ive never looked).

One combo layering might be tin foil over kelvar over silk over coat hangars over tin foil under duct tape. Use Bondo as the binding resin.

edit on 21-5-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Never thought of that GK
I balked at the price of buying one new, but some of these used models look promising. I contacted them on a Yukon with ~80k miles

If this turns out to be within a similar price range, I will likely go with the used vehicle (which the one I wanted to modify is used as well) especially since it has a lot of the functionality (including run flats) I was hoping for

Hoping for the $10k-$15k range, but can go as much as $30k

Thanks for the great info/advice, never would have even know there was a market for these

www.armoredcars.com... (one I was checking out)

EDIT: correction! Make that ~70k KM. Ad shows 48,000 Miles!

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I hope nobody.

But, the theoretical "adversary" in this situation is more-so the common criminal/carjacker/road rager or even aggressive pan handlers at stops. I'm not quite as concerned with higher energy projectiles (long guns) as low level criminals tend to use knives/handguns/blunt objects.

Having the ability to lock the car down, having solid doors/windows/body/critical areas reinforced with a moderate level of ballistic protection (looking for ~NIJ level IIIA) as well as some minor upgrades to the brakes, adding runflat devices etc. Mitigating anything from road rage attacks to kidnapping attempts. Of course I realize the vehicle is only a stop-gap measure, but I'm hoping it will increase the reaction time in order to escape/effectively fight back

Thinking about looking for a true defensive/evasive driving course as well for anyone that will operate the vehicle (possibly the whole family). Catch is, I have to do it for less than 30 grand (but preferably around 10 grand)

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I saw one model with electrified door handles
Unfortunately, a lot of criminals wear gloves so they wouldn't appreciate the effort that goes into such less-lethal measures

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
But you can't live in your car forever. And that's when they GIT YA!

<<   2  3 >>

join