It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about getting composite vehicle armor installed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Thanks for the great information MisterSpock
I am handy enough to be dangerous, but could probably manage taking the door panels off and installing some type of armor. Would be an interesting project to work on, and this is exactly the kind of cost saving idea I was hoping to find

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It would be cheaper to buy body armor for everyone.
Plus you can take it anywhere.
Too many weak points on a car/truck with tires, radiator, wiring, windows and windshield etc.

Those side flame throwers used in South Africa look pretty effective for carjacking.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

You are really far better off picking up something like a surplus up armored humvee... They are going to cost you less than up armoring an existing vehicle, while being armored to a much higher level.

Speaking from a practicality standpoint, it's really the way to go. Or you can get really ambitious and do a little bit yourself.

However, I have to say that you start getting into a situation where between run flats (because frankly an armored vehicle without run flats is lipstick on a pig) fuel costs, increased wear and maintenance, needing a beefier alternator etc, and a host of other stuff armoring a vehicle is kind of a dumb rabbit hole to go down honestly.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'll throw you a few links in PM in the next few days on the subject what you can do yourself far easier than most people would think.

As well as just what kinda benefits you can reasonably expect to get.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Thinking about getting composite vehicle armor installed

Why??

Dude, you really need to chill out.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I tend to agree with this too, and if you shop smart these days you can actually put together a pretty reasonable modular set of gear that goes from slimline concealable to full on I'd like to stop an AK burst to the chest for shockingly little.

I'd love to say I'm not one of those weird people who has enough body armor that he's actually called the places that make the reinforced hangers to ask if they sell 10 packs.... But I'm totally one of those weird people who bought a 10 pack of body armor hangers.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Why does "he need to chill out"?

Just because you don't see this as something you'd put time and energy into does not mean it's not worth doing.

Some people like this stuff... It's not really anyone else's place to tell them they're wrong for that, especially not yours.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie

Why does "he need to chill out"?

Just because you don't see this as something you'd put time and energy into does not mean it's not worth doing.

Some people like this stuff... It's not really anyone else's place to tell them they're wrong for that, especially not yours.

I don't see why he (or anyone for that matter) feels the need to plate his car with armor, that's why.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

They also would get a heavy chunk of steel beam like railroad track and drill a bunch of holes part way into it along it's entire length then wire an electric ignition circuit to each cavity which they'd then place black or smokeless powder a wadding a lead or steel ball and a wax or other sealing to hold it in...

They'd place the rails on front and rear bumper as well as down the sides sometimes and wire a switch box up on the steering column or etc so that you could literally set off entire segments at a time in the direction you were taking fire from.

I'm not saying that you should drive around town like this to get groceries, but if you just happen to have some old pieces of rr track pre drilled and with mounting hardware welded on in the corner of your garage just in case... Hey why not?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I don't see why people do most of the asinine stuff they do but that doesn't give me license to tell them they shouldn't do it.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

I managed to do some research on using soft body armor. Supposedly the newer stuff is sealed in a water/air tight outer layer and has a longer shelf life. I also had a couple non-sealed armor panels (level 2 and 3a) that was almost 15 years past expiration. Still stopped the rounds it was rated for, so I have to believe it would maintain its effectiveness. This looks doable, especially given the quantity of available soft armor components on ebay. There may be a couple spots I would have to custom fit but I could pull this off for around $1500.

Next leaves the tail pipe, which I could weld a grated steel cap to prevent an attacker from disabling the vehicle from outside. Also a nice set of tires, probably these: www.tiresplus.com... and a nice set of brake pads

Finally, the hardest part, is the glass. Since I would be saving considerably on the vehicle body's armor, I am probably going to get factory bullet resistant glass installed since I am unsure if anything home made would be sufficient to pass state motor vehicle inspection

Another thing I've considered is looking into an actual defensive/evasive driving course for anyone who will be driving this vehicle (possibly the whole family)

Thanks for the advice and information. This has given me a lot of practical ideas, and won't require selling any antique firearms or taking out a loan to accomplish

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie

I'll throw you a few links in PM in the next few days on the subject what you can do yourself far easier than most people would think.

As well as just what kinda benefits you can reasonably expect to get.

Thank you! I sincerely appreciate the help roguetechie

I'll be keeping an eye on my inbox

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Whatever you think is best....

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Homemade Body Armor

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

YES!!!

the driving courses are money extremely well spent!

Especially if you do the courses which spend a healthy chunk of the time teaching you how to spot trouble before it happens, drive defensively in a manner conducive to giving you the most possible options once things start going wrong, and just plain teaches you the things that you can reasonably expect to get a vehicle to do in an emergency!

These 3 things are basically the holy Trinity of being where the bullets aren't!

Additionally, whatever vehicle you consider doing up for this role should first and foremost have a for real no joke roll cage, extinguishers, disabled airbags, Bumpers that tie into the frame itself, and non lap and shoulder oem style seat belts if not outright non OEM seating altogether!

You may be thinking "why disabled airbags?"

Air bag propellant isn't particularly good for you: This means all someone has to do to force you out of your vehicle is to trigger the air bags and you are going to be choking on noxious smoke semi blinded, stunned from the air bags smacking you, and otherwise completely unable to even keep situational awareness much less be ready for a fight.

Bottom line: if you are going to the trouble of armoring a vehicle make sure that you can't be forced out of it on someone else's terms and time table.

The roll cage bumpers seating extinguishers and restraints thing all pretty much follow from this same logical line of thinking. You don't want crumple zones etc because then your vehicle keeps you alive by losing it's ability to work as a vehicle. Armoring something that can easily be disabled by being hit at 20 mph is kinda silly.

I do applaud your looking at things from a big picture systems perspective and hopefully you find these suggestions helpful in the meantime while I compile the u2u.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Body armor is now so ridiculously cheap for legitimately excellent stuff that doing it DIY isn't necessarily worth doing for something human size.

Vehicles though are definitely another story, so thank you.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
I don't see why he (or anyone for that matter) feels the need to plate his car with armor, that's why.

Well, maybe he thinks he needs it now that school guards are becoming armed and he might get shot while he blazing away at all the little kids.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Homemade Body Armor

Yeah, I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. And Back to the Future III.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

WTF ... Seriously?

Hey genius, I live somewhere where school guards teachers and any staff or students with a concealed carry permit have been armed since just after Columbine...

Wanna guess how many shootings have happened at schools or colleges in this state since then?

ZERO

A couple attempted shootings have been stopped with ZERO LOSS OF LIFE including the prospective shooter since then while a grand total of zero negligent discharges or etc have resulted from this "disastrous and insane policy!"

.... Yup, don't we feel stupid for doing something that works that is contingent upon preparedness and personal responsibility instead of blanket prohibition and the continuation of consistently failed policies!

We're so stupid here in flyover country

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
If you are so afraid why not stay home. There is an old foxhole saying, if it's your time to go, its your time to go and no matter of preparations will help. One could be shot 50 times point blank and walk away or you can stub your toe on the way to the bathroom at home and fall and hit your head and die, hence if it's your time to go.

In a real SHTF situation whether from war, civil unrest or some other major natural event, why would you want to hang around. If lots of others are gone in an instant, how long can one really survive ? Without a source of clean water, more than a bunker can hold or food that one could grow unfettered, then not long. Just why ? Live life as always, worry about what if's kill more people than any SHTF scenario

And spray on bed liner is a better and cheaper plus lighter preventive measure one could take advantage of, an episode of Mythbusters showed it's effectiveness against IED situations, but I say embrace death as much as we embrace life and life goes on.

You survive because you wish to help push others before you so they may survive beyond yourself....it is human nature to self-immolate for the species...hence the good old dilemma of why does the perfectly alive and unbroken hero soldier in the fox-hole jump on the grenade to save his buddies....you survive because humanities greatest triumph has been and will always be its ability to keep itself alive and manifested despite Natures normal changing of the guard.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join