It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up for the UK members

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I just saw an announcement that the first four RAF F-35Bs will arrive at RAF Marham the afternoon if Tuesday, June 5th. They will be delivered to 617 Sqn, and begin normal operations shortly after. No word on tankers or times yet.

ETA: The aircraft are ZM145, ZM146, ZM147, and ZM148. They're currently at MCAS Beaufort with the Marine training unit there. They're tentatively scheduled to arrive at Marham at 1620 local. Another five aircraft are scheduled by the end of July.
edit on 5/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Do you think there is any chance that they'll appear at an air show this year or is it too soon?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I was thinking/hoping the same, Norfolk is a fair old drive for me.
Get to see loads of cool Naval ships in these parts, but not the same as that roar of a jet engine though.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I was thinking/hoping the same, Norfolk is a fair old drive for me.
Get to see loads of cool Naval ships in these parts, but not the same as that roar of a jet engine though.

I've spent a lot of time in Norfolk over the years and it used to be rife with fighter jets in the late eighties. My Grandparents lived in Weasenham that had a large RAF base in view of the village(I think that's why my grandfather moved there
).

Anyway, the most beautiful beaches in the area would regularly get flybys from Tornadoes and occasionally Harriers.

You know Wells-next-the-Sea? I used to see Tornadoes fly over almost every time I visited!

The Cold War had it's perks!

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk... 17-Dambusters-Squadron.html

The Ministry of Defence has bought eight of the F-35B Lightning jets They will be taking off from the Royal Navy's two new aircraft carriers Britain has said it plans to have 48 by 2023 and eventually a fleet of 138 But EACH plane costs £100million and if sterling weakens price will go up The 617 'Dambusters' Squadron has been re-formed to fly the F-35Bs They are the first vertical take-off planes since the Harriers were scrapped Original plan was for jets to land on carriers with 'catapults and traps' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 17-Dambusters-Squadron.html#ixzz5FOdF07ZQ Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
The Cold War had it's perks!

Haha yes!
...and airshows were better in the 80's before health and safety stopped very low passes over crowds and similar, it was brilliant when I was a kid.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Dude, come on up...I will get ya on Lakenheath any time ya want.

I am hoping to get a job with the 35's when they get to Lakenheath. I am a bit peeved though as the facilities are going to infringe on the golf course! Booooo.
BTW You think E-models are loud, wait til you hear these things.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I'd be surprised if they don't actually.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Dude, come on up...I will get ya on Lakenheath any time ya want.

I am hoping to get a job with the 35's when they get to Lakenheath. I am a bit peeved though as the facilities are going to infringe on the golf course! Booooo.
BTW You think E-models are loud, wait til you hear these things.

Have you actually seen one in the flesh already? And heard it of course?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I'd be surprised if they don't actually.

Damn, that would be worth paying for. If you hear of any appearances this year, PM me please?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I worked on them for 2 years at Eglin. I worked both the Air Force and British versions. When you launch them, or do engine runs, the drone will put you to sleep its so loud.

Any UK plane enthusiast should go to the Royal Air Tattoo in Fairford(Glouchestershire). A USAF F-35 has confirmed and I am sure a F-22 will follow. It is nuts though, its in the middle of nowhere.

www.airtattoo.com...

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I'll keep my ears open. They should be announcing the big shows here soon.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Eh, they're not as bad as people say. Of course I'm used to TF33s and F100s.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Nice one!

And good luck with the job, I'm guessing Trump didn't build your golf course then, he wouldn't have that on his patch

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I have a big one fairly close to me too, I was thinking about going along and taking pictures to make a thread. Shouldn't be long till they announce what will be taking part.

It'll be awesome to see them in action so fingers crossed!

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Thanks for the news and the heads up Zaph!!

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Double post, soz guys!
Has ATS servers gone back to a dial up connection today!!

ETA Can't wait hear one go over.

edit on 13-5-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

10-15 db higher than a 15 or 16 on a normal approach or touch and go. We were restricted to I think 75% on takeoff. Deffo no AB! That may have changed by now, this was at the beginning of the program.

www.valp.org...

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, Zaph. I'm interested to know what's other members views are on whether the UK MoD have made a mistake in going for the B variant as opposed to the C variant due to the fact our two new aircraft carriers aren't fitted with the requisite catapult system? Is the B too much of a compromise in performance? I'm hoping not because I'm really excited about the UK getting such a state of the art airframe.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

The first I've been able to confirm so far is RIAT. The RAF will do a flying display, and the USAF heritage flight guys will be there as well.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join