It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up for the UK members

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: igotID
I'm interested to know what's other members views are on whether the UK MoD have made a mistake in going for the B variant as opposed to the C variant due to the fact our two new aircraft carriers aren't fitted with the requisite catapult system?

The F35B is fine. I'm sure the UK will do quite well with the B version and their carriers.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The only thing about the B is its limited payload. It cant carry MK 84 sized weapons. It will be OK with all the external pylons, but then there goes stealth. Are those carriers able to support vertical takeoff/landings?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I can't wait to see the new carriers with my own eyes. Hope one will be paying a visit to my parts soon.
And the 35 B is all we need to be fair, It's not like we're going to invade Russia or anything.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Yes. They're actually STOL carriers, not CATOBAR. The British pilots are training in simulators now that are programed with the Queen Elizabeth deck. They'll mostly be doing rolling low speed landings though.
edit on 5/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

They've got a higher decibel rating but the 33 and 100 frequency sits just right to be like a hammer or spike hitting your ear drums. As much as I love the sound, if I wasn't careful I'd leave the ramp with a godawful headache.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I've got really bad tinnitus now, probably from those pesky 16's though!! The intakes shapes have a lot to do with it I would imagine because the 229 versions hurt just as much. No idea what freq the F-135 motor is at, but it will lull you to sleep during launch....as the fireguard anyway.

Nothing beats bombing day at Eglin though. When I first got there it sounded like a war zone somedays. Especially when they lite off the 2,000 lbers. I hate to think what the window replacement budget is.

I was wondering about the carriers, I know they had to build a special pit at Patauxant(sp?) because it was melting everything!

Actually, I am wondering how that carrier will do with maintenance. Getting that motor out takes some space. There were several,umm, matters that I hope got worked out.

edit on 13-5-2018 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Back when I was a CAP cadet, I'd go to a glider encampment every summer. Part of the airfield we flew out of was a military training area. The camp was always during the 2 week summer training period for the Guard guys. So at least once during the camp we got a 5am wakeup when every swinging dick with a gun did a mad minute.

They developed a deck coating designed specifically for the high temps of the 135. They put them on our LHA/LHDs first to test. They handle the temps just fine.

The Queen Elizabeth is about the size of Wasp and America. They don't have serious issues with engine changes. The issue was getting them out, but a V-22 can carry one in its COD role they're testing.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Good to hear. I dealt with mostly preproduction LRIP 1 through 5 jets and the amount of bugs and crap was off the chain, like this is the biggest piece of crap ever chain! It sounds like a lot of it got worked out....except for ALIS. That was the biggest PITA.

Only thing is, this jet wont be able to wow airshows like the Harrier. It will auto-eject the pilot if the nose tips over x degrees. I doubt they "fixed" that. LOL

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Only thing is, this jet wont be able to wow airshows like the Harrier. It will auto-eject the pilot if the nose tips over x degrees. I doubt they "fixed" that. LOL

I loved the Harriers as a kid, fantastic displays!

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

They do a pretty decent display with the F-35B, but it's not able to do some of the rapid direction changes the Harrier can in flight.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Thanks for the info.

It's the Sunderland International airshow that's the local one, it's hosting the tall ships race this year and it's the airshow's 30th anniversary too so I suspect they might go all out for this one.

I don't want to say it's been boring the last few years but it generally hasn't attracted much for a while. Last time I went we did have the Vulcan though, It's when they extended it's life.

I'll be making threads for both events hopefully.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'll never forget the noise of those things in hover mode... Or the spray of the sea from like 200 feet away.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What happened to the time when UK used to build their own special looking fighter jets?

Oh right, they've bankrupt.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
What happened to the time when UK used to build their own special looking fighter jets?

We've built our own carriers, what's your point? F35's are a good option for them, why build our own when our mates are selling a decent product?
You seem just the classic pissing match US citizen wanting your cock to be bigger than ours.
Why not just celebrate that your country is selling a quality product and your allies wish to buy it, increasing your export sales?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

They were a pain in the ass though. We used to have to send one tanker for every two AV-8Bs to get them 2500 miles. Had to support an engine change once, and the only way to do it is pull the wings off.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Gotta love those drive by douche comments.

a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Lame ain't it, the US is offering a fantastic product which will suit our new carriers so it would be madness spending money on designing a new Brit VTOL/STOL bird of our own.
Another advantage is US birds can land on our ships if we ever find ourselves in a conflict situation where we might need that.
Yeah Britain is well overdrawn in the bank, just like most developed nations, so again, buying top quality products off our mates makes perfect sense to me.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

We've built our own carriers, what's your point? F35's are a good option for them, why build our own when our mates are selling a decent product?
You seem just the classic pissing match US citizen wanting your cock to be bigger than ours.
Why not just celebrate that your country is selling a quality product and your allies wish to buy it, increasing your export sales?

No, it is built in US and programmed by Americans. Not much competition are there? Good luck with your remote control jets.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

No, it is built in US and programmed by Americans. Not much competition are there? Good luck with your remote control jets.

So what is your point?
The US is selling a quality product to its mates and the UK is buying it instead of developing its own version.
Are you unhappy that your nation is making billions selling a product to its mates?
Or do you just want your US cock to be bigger than a UK cock? What, are you like 12 years old or something?
edit on 13-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: tag issues

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Lame ain't it, the US is offering a fantastic product which will suit our new carriers so it would be madness spending money on designing a new Brit VTOL/STOL bird of our own.
Another advantage is US birds can land on our ships if we ever find ourselves in a conflict situation where we might need that.
Yeah Britain is well overdrawn in the bank, just like most developed nations, so again, buying top quality products off our mates makes perfect sense to me.

Quite agree, and at least some of it is British made, the ejector seat for one thing. According to the following article, 15% of every jet is UK made!
ukdefencejournal.org.uk...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join