It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue states rally to upend Electoral College, with addition of Connecticut

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Not me, I am not a republican.

But most of the big city liberal types I know couldn't handle living in the countryside, sitting on the front porch drinking sweet tea and just talking with friends in family. Or going to the local lake and swimming, or fishing, do your chores and sleep, many going to church on sunday.. lots of stores closed on sunday.

At least the liberals I know would lose their minds in that situation.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Irishhaf

If I was a citizen there I would be irate, to me that is saying your vote does not matter and we don't care that you know.

To me it goes against everything are system was set up to support that you the individual is supposed to matter.

I live in Texas, and I do not vote Republican. I’ve had to live with the fact that my vote doesn’t matter at all. So, I know how it feels.

Who knows... with enough liberal votes, Texas can one day turn into the progressive craphole that California is.

We have an awful lot of undocumenteds in Texas. A WHOLE lot. They mow our lawns, trim our trees, replace our roofs, bus our restaurant tables, and even clean our houses and offices. They help our small businesses make a lot of profit. Does that make us a crap hole?

Nope!

Using that logic IMO it makes me think you support slavery.

I would support anyone who worked hard to get here and worked hard to achieve part of the American Dream. Undocumented or not.

Sorry I don't!

Those who came here legally and went thru the process our elected officials put forth as law to do so have my utmost respect! I actually witnessed these ceremonies while in the military and these people EARNED their citizenship! Those who come here illegally are criminals and should be treated as such!

If you have a problem with our immigration laws get on the ass of your elected officials to change it! Trust me the R and D's are using this against us all. They have had many opportunities to make the process a bit easier but they all refuse to do it because it benefits them and their pimps to turn us against each other.

We either live in a country with Laws or we might as well just be savages. Take your pick and be careful what you wish for!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

If I was a citizen there I would be irate, to me that is saying your vote does not matter and we don't care that you know.

To me it goes against everything are system was set up to support that you the individual is supposed to matter.

I live in Texas, and I do not vote Republican. I’ve had to live with the fact that my vote doesn’t matter at all. So, I know how it feels.

Um, ok. Now imagine your vote DOES match the popular vote in your state and it still ends up meaning nothing because the popular vote everywhere didn't match your own... when you night have won otherwise. So... not really the same thing.

So kinda like how Bush and Trump got the presidency?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: bender151

Um, ok. Now imagine your vote DOES match the popular vote in your state and it still ends up meaning nothing because the popular vote everywhere didn't match your own... when you night have won otherwise. So... not really the same thing.

So kinda like how Bush and Trump got the presidency?

No, not like it at all.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

This Will NEVER Happen . A Constitutional Amendment to Change the Status Quo will not be Supported by the Majority of American Citizens from Any Political Party ...PERIOD .

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Sorry but NO. It is not within the authority of a state to overturn their populace's wishes in regards to their votes in favor of overall popular vote. There's a reason we are a constitutional republic rather than a straight democracy.

If this were to go forward, expect a civil war...

Jaden

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I know some rich liberals who made their money in Dallas, then bought ranch land in West Texas so they could be fake ranchers. They love it. Plus, they can still travel to Dallas when they want some big city livin’ for a while. But their official residence is rural.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

It is not within the authority of a state to overturn their populace's wishes in regards to their votes in favor of overall popular vote.
True. But not for the reason you may think. It is not a state which casts electoral votes, but electors.

There is no federal law that requires electors to vote as they have pledged, but 29 states and the District of Columbia have legal control over how their electors vote in the Electoral College. This means their electors are bound by state law and/or by state or party pledge to cast their vote for the candidate that wins the statewide popular vote. At the same time, this also means that there are 21 states in the union that have no requirements of, or legal control over, their electors.
archive.fairvote.org...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

A Constitutional Amendment to Change the Status Quo will not be Supported by the Majority of American Citizens from Any Political Party ...PERIOD .
No Constitutional Amendment is required.

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

It is the States, through their electors, who choose the President. There is nothing in the Constitution which determines how Electors are to vote.

www.archives.gov...

edit on 5/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

So who says New York City and Los Angeles and San Francisco get to run the whole country?

😀

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I knew it! Texas electors can vote Republican even if the majority of the state voted Democrat. My vote truly doesn’t matter.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Tradition says they generally honor the vote of the electorate.

Remember all the stories about efforts to get the EC delegates to overturn the state elections and vote against Trump? It was because they aren't bound to honor the will of the electorate ... and how many did that in either the primaries or the general election?

As heated as things got, you would have thought there might be some defections, more than there actually were, but nope!

So I don't think you have to worry ... unless this becomes a thing, and generally it becomes a thing when people decide that tradition no longer matters. Usually, it's not the conservative mindset that tends to do that although I won't say it would never happen.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Yes.

And, if a state can pass a law saying their electors must vote with the popular vote of the state, it would seem that they can pass a law saying that their electors must vote with the popular vote of the nation.

This quote from the OP is incorrect:

The pact is meant to be a work-around to the constitutional requirements that created the Electoral College system, which awards each state's electors to the winner of that state.

There is no such Constitutional requirement. The Constitution makes no mention of the popular vote.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Pyle

So who says New York City and Los Angeles and San Francisco get to run the whole country?

😀

No one, more people live in other places then live in those you listed.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

a reply to: Phage

I knew it! Texas electors can vote Republican even if the majority of the state voted Democrat. My vote truly doesn’t matter.

I wonder if that has ever happened ?

😎

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Funny how something liberals of old put in place to protect minority groups from being marginalized gets torn down the moment a minority group they disapprove of uses is. So much for empathy and understanding others...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
It has, even when the state law required it.

Over 22 occasions, a total of 179 electors have not cast their votes for President or Vice President as prescribed by the legislature of the state they represented. Of those, 71 electors changed their votes because the candidate to whom they were pledged died before the electoral ballot (1872, 1912). Two electors chose to abstain from voting for any candidate (1812, 2000).[3] The remaining 106 were changed by the elector's personal interest, or perhaps by accident. Usually, the faithless electors act alone. An exception was the 1836 election, in which all 23 Virginia electors acted together.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Funny how something liberals of old put in place to protect minority groups from being marginalized
I guess. If you consider states with smaller populations to be a minority group.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

From what I understand, this NPVIC has been around for some time.

Nothing new.

That being said, I believe this would not require a constitutional amendment to do. They are already within their rights.

But I could be wrong. I'll have to look in to it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Its the right of the states to determine their electorate.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join