It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for MAY 2018 - TOUGH LOVE [TL2018]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Here, in the Northern Hemisphere, it would seem that Spring is in the Air?

This Months Short Story Writers contest theme has been chosen by our current winner, SprocketUK.

In their own words:

"Tough love.

It might not even work out, But the idea of trying to make love work across time, space, culture and any other obstacles that may crop up...

Be as out of the box as you like, everything from Capulets and Montagues, Khan's and Greenbaums to Johnny in Sacramento and Gwen in Merthyr.
Have a little fun with it."

So, all entries should contain or relate to that theme.

Video submissions are not acceptable this time around (Unless solely to provide "mood" music/sound effects).
Photos and Music ARE allowed within the entry, so long as the main story itself is "written".

Rules Of Entry:

The contest will run from NOW to Thurs 24th MAY 2018.
(Any submissions after that date will be disqualified.)

A period of ONE WEEK after the closing of the contest will be provided for voting.

All T&C's Apply.

All entries MUST include [TL2018] in the title.

All entries must be linked in this thread, and
please include your ATS writer status [writer] or [non-writer] in your submission post within this thread as it makes it easier to determine which group to place the entry in.

There is no minimum or maximum character count, and the entry can be submitted over one or more posts, but please bear in mind that it is a SHORT STORY contest!

Also, please END your submission with "THE END" so that everyone is clear that your entry is complete.

1 Single Story Submission is allowed Per Member.

There will be 3 winners among members who already have ATS "Writer" status, prizes as follows:

1st Place -- 5 Applause, and selection of the next contest theme (limited to one in a row)
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

Scoring

Points are awarded by ATS members giving FLAGS to their favourite story threads and STARS to their favourite story posts.

Flags awarded will be worth 2 points each.
Stars will be worth 1 point each.
*Stars for subsequent posts (ie. additions to the story after the initial story post) will be worth 0.5 points.

N.B. If the winner of the "Writers" section is the same person who chose the current theme, then the opportunity to choose the next theme will fall to the runner up.

Good Luck & HAVE FUN!

G
edit on 8-5-2018 by Gordi The Drummer because: Fix error

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Congrats to SprocketUK for coming up with such a great topic!

Hopefully, we'll see a good number of entries. Anything with "Love" in the theme gives plenty of opportunities for wonderful stories.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The DrummerThanks again, Gordi for all your hard work. And good luck. Especially to the non writers, jump in folks, it gets addictive so don't be put off.

Thanks Mike, looking forward to seeing your story too.

edit on 23pTue, 08 May 2018 16:59:23 -050020182018-05-08T16:59:23-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Awesome theme!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Tough Love....

ah yes, for the S&M aficionados...like spanking with a Forbes mag.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

LMAO!

Ahem...good luck ATS writers! 50 shades of grey anyone...?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Okay, first time ever. I choose the color because it´s similar to the oleander bushes outside. I hope it does not hurt your eyes.

Verschickter
[non-writer]
[TL2018] Eternal love

edit on 8-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Just to give another bump.

3 pieces of advice which I hope will help all writers.

1 Use a spell-checker. (I rarely speak English any more and some spellings are starting to fade even though it is my first language.)

2 Use paragraphs. It makes it easier and more enjoyable for the reader/voter.

3 Write your story first in notepad, save it and then read it back to yourself after a nights sleep. It's not a race. Adjustments can be made and reading it back to yourself will help you see the things that don't "fit" or work. Precision is better than haste.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading entries and voting on the ones I like.

(Disclosure: I gained ATS writer status in the last competition. (The Rain) The process of writing a story can be fun and many members enjoy reading them. Imagination is a wonderful thing.)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I feel adressed since I was the first one to submit. Did all these things except for the sleep over. I´m not in for winning, I thought I give it a try and ended up writing something from my soul that has long been due. I hope it´s readable though.

I need to remember myself to look into this forum more often so I can read and vote on the other members submits, too, when they come in.

Appreciate the heads up, english is not my first language it´s the third and I also checked grammar as best as I could.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I already have a title. . . . "50 Shades of Gravy".

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Bring it on

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I bet your gravy is lumpy

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Warning; this is a real tear jerker.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

non-writer
edit on 8-5-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

I bet your gravy is lumpy

We'll just have to wait and see. . . . .

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It was a dark and Stormy night...

Jk

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Just a quick q - the writing format for this, is it short story strictly? fiction or non-fiction? can it be prose or a different writing style?

Also RE: DB's Gravy. It's tough love, gravy. Tough to get the stains out of yer shirt! But that's love.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
Just a quick q - the writing format for this, is it short story strictly? fiction or non-fiction? can it be prose or a different writing style?

Also RE: DB's Gravy. It's tough love, gravy. Tough to get the stains out of yer shirt! But that's love.

Hi aurora,
Yes - Short Story Only please, fiction or non-fiction and any style that you like!
(If you're doing non-fiction, I'd just advise to please be sensitive regarding the use of other peoples real names etc?)
cheers!
G

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have a question regarding the voting. I can give away as much votes as I want, right? Or are we supposed to only flag-vote the story we like the most?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join