It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police called on Group of fiv e Black Women Golfers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Etiquette - one of those old fashioned words people pay little attention to. That may be the issue here as there is a long-established etiquette for golfers that allows for people to play through if your group is exceptionally slow. From the video the woman sounded quite polite so I think this may be based in a lack of understanding which sadly escalated and now is being tossed around as a race issue. I'm not going to deny that country clubs were among the last to fully integrate, that's history. But if race were really such an issue how the hell did Tiger Woods get started?

Eta: I knew Arthur Ashe and he developed his skills on the public courts near Maymont Park. In the 70's he still couldn't join the clubs but once he became famous they couldn't open their doors fast enough. It was some amazing hypocrisy.
edit on 28-4-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'm a little confused.

If there is a play through rule, to allow players behind them to continue, why is there a time limit at all? Everyone is saying "they can play through" but what is the limit for? Obviously something was in err.

Could it be that as "they do this for a living", the management was clued into the fact that they were seeking a confrontation?

I really don't know, but this is far from the racist event it is labelled to be.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Abysha

Now I'm afraid to try golfing because I know my slow ass will be jailed now.

To be fair, when Johnny Law got there he looked around, said "this ain't my problem" and left.

No jailing necessary.

Well yeah because those guys were decent people. But just having police called on you can be humiliating and have social consequences. Even when the police do everything right (which is more often than they're given credit for), it still sucks for innocent people getting harassed by the people who called them in the first place.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

It's not lately , it happens all the time.

The media has been reporting on it lately for ratings and clicks.

Don't ever think that just because the media isn't reporting it that it isn't happening.

Also , don't ever think that just because the media is reporting it that it must be some new big problem.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
One of the ladies is the pesident of the of the local naacp. Another is director of diversity and inclusion for a state agency. They said they were "treated hostile and demeaning". "We are going to pursue all remedies available".

The ladies say they weren't slow. The club says they were. Sounds like a lawsuit will be filed.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Could it be that as "they do this for a living", the management was clued into the fact that they were seeking a confrontation?

One of the ladies, the one taking the video, is a director of diversity at a state agency, that's what she does for a living.

Ms. Ojo, a director of diversity and inclusion at a state agency, on Tuesday described their interactions with the club officials as “demeaning” and “hostile.” Ms. Thompson recorded video showing part of the confrontation and later posted it on YouTube and Facebook.

They messed with the wrong group of ladies.

In the days after white golf course owners called the police on five African American women they said were not playing fast enough, a Pennsylvania state senator has called for an investigation into the incident and the club is losing local business.

www.msn.com... spartanntp

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

My thoughts: Me not knowing alot about golf I am not sure if the golf club has a point? One of the tings I do know about golf is that it is one of the slowest sports. ( I still have a problem with calling it a sport) But What i didnt hear from this is that there wasnt an attempt by staff to see if they could make a compormise with their pace.

I would like to hear from others about this. Is pace a problem with some groups while golfing? Does one groups pace effect another group who is trying to play? Or is the golf Club completely in the wrong and suffer from a racial issue??

You golf slow then you need to go... Think about it... if a round of golf on a busy day lets say is 10 mins a hole or a little over 3 hours and you are slow and take 15 mins a hole you then increased everyone behind you by 1.5 hours longer.

Also, a group of 5 is not allowed at like every course in the world, 4 is max. They most likely signed up as a 2 and 3 some and then joined together...you can get kicked for that. Women tees are design to shorten the course for them so once again no need to suggest them being black or female as a part of this. I would say it is them that was in the wrong, but hey they were black so I guess it couldn't be them.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yeah thats what I couldnt find out from the stroy if the people that were behiond them could not just play through them?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Oh you don't have to tell me twice. The number of calls that come in requesting an officer to do parenting for somebody, or to settle some sort of petty dispute real or imagined, etc. is pretty staggering.

And then people wonder why response times for a priority call are eight minutes? Probably because officers are tied up dealing with somebody who got one less chicken nugget than they paid for, or dealing with somebody who's kid got lippy with them, or dealing with somebody who's mad about a neighbor not wearing a shirt in their own backyard.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: American-philosopher

They broke golf laws and got the real law called? Lol, talk about entitlement culture.

Don't golfers have a custom of playing through other games that are slower? So what's the big deal? Now I'm afraid to try golfing because I know my slow ass will be jailed now.

Funny. haha.

link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It seems like the ladies may have been looking for a confrontation.

link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I will always let folks play through though. No need for my preference of pace to dictate their pace.

You let people play through or you go on lite days... If you like to play slow that is not a good reason to suggest you are in the right as everyone else gets backed up.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It would be a golf rules issue, not a police issue.
If the rules of the club forbid playing too slowly, the penalty for doing so would be included in the rules.

I would bet they are in the rules, there are marshals there too so the pace stays up. In this case they most likely were asked to leave at some point after many warnings and they said no with most likely choice words. Like any other establishment you can refuse service and so what do you do if a person refuses to leave...you call the cops.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Also, a group of 5 is not allowed at like every course in the world, 4 is max.

From the OP's linked article.

Though a foursome is the norm, the club permitted a group of five, she said.

If the group of 5 was the problem, then the guys should have said that, instead of complaining about their pace, which was not slow according to the women and the men playing behind them.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I play slow and have dealt with the passive aggressive jerks who get all huffy. Not many will say somethimg to me because i look like someone who is kinda scary.

I will always let folks play through though. No need for my preference of pace to dictate their pace.

I was gonna say , if we are too slow we let them play through . I thought golf was supposed to be slow and fun . can't have fun or score well if you are in a hurry.
And why bother going if you are in a hurry anyway?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I've played a little bit of golf.

My group one time was chastised by a "roaming" staff member that makes sure players keep the pace.

It was suggested we go play at a different golf course that is more lenient.

Serious golfers are - - well - - serious about the pace of play.

Talking, joking around, etc (not saying these women did) is for the 19th hole.

If the golf course can prove other players (non black) have been asked to leave for the same reason - - - that would prove its not racial.

Time will tell.

link   

Did the Ny times interview the men behind them? No they took the ladies word for it.

link   
NEW TV SHOW IDEA!

Law & Order; Putter Unit!

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Instead of Fore! I think you should yell pull, then hit the ball while in the air with a 12 gauge. It's not sportsman like to shoot it on the ground.

You never played clay bird golf... 18 stations where you have multiple skeet shooting scenarios...you even drive a gold cart to each station.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meniscus

Did the Ny times interview the men behind them? No they took the ladies word for it.

FFS, read the article!

One of those golfers, Damen Carter-Mann, told The Daily Record on Wednesday that the women kept up the pace the entire game. “Not one time,” he said, “did we catch up with those ladies.” He described them as nice and professional.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join