It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge rules New York City bar can refuse service to Trump supporter wearing MAGA hat

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Do you agree or are you implying that it is ok to discriminate against liberals?

No, it’s not ok to discriminate against people because of their political beliefs. Do you agree?

Of course I agree, that's why I said:

I'd argue that goes both ways.

You know what the definition of "both" means right?

I do. But I’d only argue it goes both ways if it allowed me to creep back in my hole once I had to defend someone I disagreed with.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: TheJesuit

But a bakery can refuse to serve a gay couple.
That's just fine.

No they couldnt, thats the point.

I think both should be allowed to refuse service.

But we have a legal system that thinks its ok to refuse service based on one and not the other

The judge ruled the owners could refuse to make the cake.

A California bakery owner can continue to refuse to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples because it violates her Christian beliefs, a judge ruled

edit on 26-4-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
and add a modest tip to it (the guy was a piker.)

20% tip. Not bad on a $190 bill. $190 bill? Sounds like he was there for some time. My guess is that he might have gotten a little boisterous after some consumption and then was removed. Then he went on this rant about being a Trump supporter.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

That's just fine.

But we have a legal system that thinks its ok to refuse service based on one and not the other

Because one is a human rights issue and the other is political. The former is protected by law, the latter isn't.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

That's just fine.

Because one is a human rights issue and the other is political. The former is protected by law, the latter isn't.

The bakery owners won that suit

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Well that's you. I tend to hate bringing up politics in social settings like bars or parties. So ejecting someone for their political beliefs, no matter what they are, to me is stupid. That is unless the person was being an obnoxious douche about their partisan beliefs, but that is a slightly different matter than just ejecting them because they happen to be a Trump supporter or a Bernie supporter or what have you. Usually, I'll just tell you I don't want to discuss politics to get you to shutup and if you still won't shutup I'll just walk away and talk to someone else.

Though, at the end of the day, it is still the bar's right to eject you for them even if I wouldn't recommend it.
edit on 26-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

That's just fine.

That's one. There's the one in Colorado(the one I was referencing). One in Texas. Probably others as well.

The Denver bakery lost that one.

Lower courts had ruled that Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, had violated Colorado’s public accommodations law, which prohibits refusing service to customers based on factors such as race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

www.washingtonpost.com... 606-0cde-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3814c92abe48

I am unaware of any SCOTUS ruling since.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Kind of like vegans standing up in the middle of a restaurant service and telling a story about how their friends were murdered.

It's not that they were vegans. It's the scene they made.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

for the most part, mine is treat others how I would like to be treated, or to put it plainer, be kind..
and for the most part I agree, if business owners want to be stupid and refuse people's money, well let them..
but then, they should be required to have their position clearly displayed at the storefront and in their advertising so they don't waste other people's time and it's only as long as denying the service isn't endangering anyone's life and there is alternatives within a reasonable distance. like you said, it's a crappy business model that usually ends up killing the business once their policy is made known because well... you are offending many more people than just the person you are refusing at the counter, or just the group you are targeting because others will just find the whole idea stupid and offensive, regardless of what the group is.

link   

When I ran pubs there used to be an unwritten (also written in some pubs) rule of no talking politics nor religion because it causes trouble.
But the guy in the OP is a fake it appears causing a fuss about nowt.

link   

Kind of like vegans standing up in the middle of a restaurant service and telling a story about how their friends were murdered.

It's not that they were vegans. It's the scene they made.

Exactly! You are free to believe whatever you want, but if you have to make a huge scene and ridicule others because they don't believe as you don't be surprised if you end up booted out of that establishment.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Well that's you. I tend to hate bringing up politics in social settings like bars or parties. So ejecting someone for their political beliefs, no matter what they are, to me is stupid. That is unless the person was being an obnoxious douche about their partisan beliefs, but that is a slightly different matter than just ejecting them because they happen to be a Trump supporter or a Bernie supporter or what have you. Usually, I'll just tell you I don't want to discuss politics to get you to shutup and if you still won't shutup I'll just walk away and talk to someone else.

Though, at the end of the day, it is still the bar's right to eject you for them even if I wouldn't recommend it.

I hate it to. But I wouldn’t appeal to hypocrisy and stop defending the victim the moment I saw his discrimination and censorship.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

When I ran pubs there used to be an unwritten (also written in some pubs) rule of no talking politics nor religion because it causes trouble.

Yeah. Those are my two biggest party foul no-nos. Discussing religion and/or politics. Those two topics people get WAAAY too personal about and we are all there to have a good time. No need to stir the pot with controversial topics like that.

But the guy in the OP is a fake it appears causing a fuss about nowt.

Yeah. It seems like this guy is just trying to seek attention.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I barred a load of neo nazis once coming in my Pub with swastika tattoos, that caused a ruckus so we brought down Benson the dog lol.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

If a bar had a habit of ejecting people based on their political beliefs, I'd probably just frequent a different bar. There is no use getting bent out of shape about their policy since it is legal; even if you don't agree with it.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That's just fine.

That's one. There's the one in Colorado(the one I was referencing). One in Texas. Probably others as well.

The Denver bakery lost that one.

Lower courts had ruled that Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, had violated Colorado’s public accommodations law, which prohibits refusing service to customers based on factors such as race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation.

www.washingtonpost.com... 606-0cde-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3814c92abe48

I am unaware of any SCOTUS ruling since.

I can't read your case...was it a 10th amendment issue? The California case ruling was 2 months later I believe.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
and add a modest tip to it (the guy was a piker.)

20% tip. Not bad on a $190 bill. $190 bill? Sounds like he was there for some time. My guess is that he might have gotten a little boisterous after some consumption and then was removed. Then he went on this rant about being a Trump supporter.

I'd bet dollars to donuts this is true as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

New York is another liberal state,doing ignorant things,just like calif and other states,all this shows is how petty and childish Democrats are,no need to point them out,they speak out like it or not,result of having head up where the sun won't shine

so what does the tow truck driver say about the conservatives?? that's they are so strung out over their political beliefs that they would leave you stranded in the cold on the side of the highway not even caring for your personal health and safety?? because, well you know, the conservatives think that all those liberals should just die off and let them inherit the earth anyways....

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

If a bar had a habit of ejecting people based on their political beliefs, I'd probably just frequent a different bar. There is no use getting bent out of shape about their policy since it is legal; even if you don't agree with it.

Imagine if people said that we shouldn’t get bent out of shape about segregation and slavery since they were both legal.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Nah you gotta think of the clientele who comes in the pub everyday I wasn't having these scumbags drink in my pub upsetting my regulars.
I just said not today gentlemen when they approached the bar and kept saying it til they got rowdy, then we got em out.
They were all combat 82 and had a reputation for trashing pubs anyhow so best off not letting them get drunk.
But Trump supporters? nah they could have a pint any day in any of my pubs.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join