It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manned Space Exploration...Why?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

The distances involved through and the energies required to wage such conflict across such vast distance may somewhat retard our ability or to do so in the same manner as we do here on Earth.

Chances are you are probably correct on some level all the same as we simply refuse to play nice here in nursery school Earth.

Space colonisation may even bring about the paradigm shift humanity requires change her ways and address some of the larger questions that are staring us in the face.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The spirit of discovery and adventure. To push the limits and explore. That's why.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: staticfl

To boldly go?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

..."where no man will ever go, just cuz...it's sci-fi and fantasy".
edit on 4/23/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Fair enough; and you do understand the difference between the Moon and Mars, correct???

They are two horses of different colors...and different breeds. Technology has already demonstrated that.

My goodness, people, how difficult is this to understand????

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Okay, I give up... Star Trek is fun.

The Last Jedi is fun. Deep Space 9, Star Wars, Lost in Space...and how many ever others.

May 4th is coming up, and we can do the whole "may the 4th be with you" thing.

It's all fun, thinking about all this, pondering what mankind will come up with...irrespective of reality, physics and science, but it's all fun never the less.

I just give up. Mankind will never inhabit another planet (not "mankind", maybe a few settlers will, but not "mankind").

Y'all can fantasize about it all you want, but it will never be. I'm sorry, but it just won't.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You know, I'm not a "star" whore, but it really does strike me as ironic that all the people who believe man will "escape" Earth one day get stars on this thread, and I get none. No matter, I don't come here for stars, but rather truth.

Y'all celebrate your fantasy world, a world where humans colonize some cold hostile planet like Mars. Some small group of people who struggle and ultimately perish. Fine. You may look at it as a triumph, but I will look at it as a failure...as I predicted.

The Moon was a triumph. Some other planet like Mars is just a folly.

Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

What ever happened to that colony? Roanoke? Guess there's no way to survive in the New World.
Oh Well. Lets stay here then.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thank you for pointing out what I was thinking.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I believe orbiting laboratories are also a worthwhile pursuit, but again why does mankind need to go to places like Mars or beyond?

P.S. As always, comments are welcome.

There may be other reasons but IMO, chief among them is this reason.

The extreme wealthy and powerful generally only have more tantalising goal to acheive. They have so much power, money and influence, there is little left to own, with one excaption, The entire earth and everything its contains.

However they know that in order achieve that and for just one multi trillionaire to remain as the owner of the plant earth, they must eventually fight and kill each other and by doing that they all risk getting killed.

So why not look outward and start colonising and owning nearby planets? Space is a far bigger place than earth. From what I gather there is plenty of room for everyone out there.

By getting the masses to pay for it and tell them they might strike it lucky one day and they to can can go into space and have a walk around on the moon and perhaps mars as well.

As it turns out it is the masses paying for it and its the wealthiest people on earth who will benefit from it the most. The masses will just get more nice photos as a 'thank you' for paying for research and development of technology required to travel among the stars and it will be the wealthiest who will travel among the stars when the technology is perfected

As I see it its all about money, power, control and privilege continuity.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

You may be right.

I guess there's some logic in that, certainly in the context of ATS!

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

biology adapts to space , the perfect space fairing biological entity is the Fungal spore!

biology isnt limited , its just human biology limits our space fairing ability

if humanity is serious about space travel then we should develop humans who are designed specifically for space, but we can only really do that once we have mastered genetics

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

how is colonising a new planet like mars any different than the challenges we faced traversing the face of the earth!
its just a little harder, requires a little more preperation and time spent !

but ultimately achievable !

we will not fail , we will succeed

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

You know, I'm not a "star" whore, but it really does strike me as ironic that all the people who believe man will "escape" Earth one day get stars on this thread, and I get none. No matter, I don't come here for stars, but rather truth.

Y'all celebrate your fantasy world, a world where humans colonize some cold hostile planet like Mars. Some small group of people who struggle and ultimately perish. Fine. You may look at it as a triumph, but I will look at it as a failure...as I predicted.

The Moon was a triumph. Some other planet like Mars is just a folly.

Just sayin.

Don't worry about the star count mate. But, i've sent one for you. Even though i apparently don't believe in them. So, It's a bit of an empty gesture on my part. A lot like the topic subject. Enjoy looking at your star. Cos your never gonna visit it.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

Heh...nope! BTW...thanks for your contributions (content, not stars). I believe we're on the same page.

Reality, it seems, can be a real bummer for some. Just can't seem to get past all that Star Trek stuff.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I just give up. Mankind will never inhabit another planet (not "mankind", maybe a few settlers will, but not "mankind").

We can't really know what will happen in the future.

Even what looks like physical limitations today may one day be put aside, and, as we can see in this thread, people will try to go wherever they want "just because", even if they do not have a better reason ("just because" appears to be a good enough reason for them).

Or we may get an ELE and things will stop there.

I think manned exploration is only justifiable when we need a large group of explorers in a short time, as it's easier to train humans than make machines that will do that work, but, as I said on my first post on this thread, only if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Okay, I give up... Star Trek is fun.

The Last Jedi is fun. Deep Space 9, Star Wars, Lost in Space...and how many ever others.

May 4th is coming up, and we can do the whole "may the 4th be with you" thing.

It's all fun, thinking about all this, pondering what mankind will come up with...irrespective of reality, physics and science, but it's all fun never the less.

Y'all can fantasize about it all you want, but it will never be. I'm sorry, but it just won't.

Sorry man but im having this printed onto a little plaque and taking it with me to the moon or mars and putting outside the space port !

Seems like commercial space is getting even closer

UK's & Europes first space port

edit on 24-4-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Reality, it seems, can be a real bummer for some. Just can't seem to get past all that Star Trek stuff.

I was never a fan of Star Trek myself.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

how is colonising a new planet like mars any different than the challenges we faced traversing the face of the earth!

Because colonizing a planet in our solar system to the point where it can support human life is just a wee bit harder than building an airplane to fly in our atmosphere, climbing a mountain, visiting a pole...or even landing on another planet. In fact, it's just a wee bit harder than all the resources on planet Earth, combined, can accomplish.

its just a little harder, requires a little more preperation and time spent !

A "little harder" is the understatement of recorded history!

but ultimately achievable !

we will not fail , we will succeed

I applaud your confidence and belief in mankind. I, on the other hand, am of the mind mankind's intelligence regarding space has now exceeded his abilities to apply that science with him as a participant. As I have stated a number of times in this thread; I have no doubt mankind will ultimately go to Mars and possibly even beyond (not much beyond, but possibly beyond). However, the notion of establishing a permanent colony on another planet, even in the distant future, is just wishful thinking. And further, I believe these pursuits (not space, but manned space) only serve as a distraction allowing large sections of our population to ignore other challenges right here on planet Earth, false hope.

To quote a familiar saying, in the context of other worldly colonization..."That light you believe you see at the end of the tunnel is really a train headed straight for you at full speed"

Perhaps it would be better to focus on the train, rather than the light.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join