It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google, Gmail and your phone collecting your GPS position all the time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
So for those that don't know, if you have a gmail account linked to your smart phone (or any phone with GPS from what I've read), then Google constantly collects your position. In fact, there was a case not to long ago where the data was used to convict someone of murder as it showed their location, their stalking, etc. The data shows the "estimated" position and then will list the deviation and it looks like it can be within a few feet to a couple hundred feet in rural areas were towers aren't as plentiful.

IMO, this is reason enough to move away from Gmail, and Google as a whole. I guess one could put their phone in a portable faraday pouch (it seems mylar chip bags work well for this.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

If you have an Android, Google knows where you are all the time. Even if you don't have the Gmail app installed.

Could be useful for catching criminals and terrorists.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Not sure why this is news... everyone is being tracked and monitored. Every phone call you make is recorded. Every email you send is in the cloud even if you delete it. It isn't just Google. Even your car has a black box recording your every location.

It is crazy. Fifty years ago if you asked someone if they would allow a microchip to be embedded in them to track their every move, people would be like no freaking way. Here we are in 2018 and people do it voluntarily through their cell phone....

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yeah? I am at home now, soon i will be on my way to a friend's place and we will cook food. Now you know that too, not just the alphabet organizations.

*waits for black helicopters to arrive to the sky above me*

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

They will only come if you're cooking squeaky cheese

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
Yeah? I am at home now, soon i will be on my way to a friend's place and we will cook food. Now you know that too, not just the alphabet organizations.

*waits for black helicopters to arrive to the sky above me*

Cool! And they also have the ability to read/or listen to your entire conversation with said friend about the plans, they know what food was bought to cook, when and where it was bought, anything else that was bought in addition to the food, and how you paid for it (where your bank is, how much money you have in the bank, do you owe money so much that food shouldn't be bought)...etc. So nothing like a nice private evening with friends! lol

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthJava
Cool! And they also have the ability to read/or listen to your entire conversation with said friend about the plans...

Yeah. They have the ability to know more about me than i know about myself. But do they have the resources? If they are tracking nobodies like me, no wonder nasty things happen all the time that could have been prevented.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
You do realize you can turn the location settings off, right? Also, Android is pretty secure. Apps have to require explicit consent to use your location, with the only exceptions being preinstalled system apps. And if you're worried about those, build AOSP from source yourself and tweak it to your liking.
edit on 4/9/2018 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I use Android. I use GPS all the time for my Pokémon Go game. I use google gmail. Im not hiding anything. Dont care if i have been tracked or monitored or recorded. Anything.

edit on 10-4-2018 by whiteblack because: Autocorrected

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have never turned my GPS on. I get constant messages about it but I just ignore them. I'm sure they have other ways of tracking you if they really needed to.
I'm fully aware that even with the GPS always off that they are still watching. I guess that's the suspicious mind I have. I've also never used Gmail on my Android. I wouldn't know how to use it.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
We know this bigbrother is everywhere... Google sells info to the people who weaponize it. So well everybody should know it by now. Anyway thanks for the post. it sucks living in a post-addpocalyptic world. Socialmedia zombies everywhere.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   
A lead lined phone case....I could be a millionaire with that idea.
You do know you don't have to use them you know.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

TPTB have been able to triangulate position with cell phones and cell towers for a while. Who was that guy the Russians took out in the 90's with a swift phone call?

Yeah, giving permission to track your location just makes it easier... Kinda old news though.

Everyone knows it's the algorithms that count now (literally and figuratively) not only can they know where you are but what you will do next.

Freaks and cretins kinda like knowing all your business whilst covering their tracks and insisting on the ultimate clandestine lifestyle... For themselves.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Turn the GPS off. No tracking.. I know it's a difficult situation to be stuck in, knowing where you are in this big wide yonder, or letting the googles rub their dirty hands in glee at knowing where you are in this big wide yonder.

When I flew to the US, I didn't turn mine off. When years later, I checked the history, it showed me flying from Perth to Sydney, then disappeared when the phone died. Suddenly as if by magic, I was in LAX.

I kept that. A memento of a terrible time. Posterity, you know.

And I swear I've never been to some places it has me tracked to.... Those blackouts, I need to buy some spy glasses so I can remember these events. Thought it may be too shocking, even for me.

Turn OFF your GPS... stop blaming the bogey man for you accepting everything at face value.

Another tip - putting your hand in a fire, is bad. It will burn you. I know they don't have warning labels on fires, but it's true. Even fire you buy in a can from walmart.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
A lead lined phone case....I could be a millionaire with that idea.
You do know you don't have to use them you know.

A lead lined phone case renders your phone a heavy item that is useless.

9 missed calls from your wife in an emergency.
23 missed alerts from facebook.

Who can afford to do that?

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
We know this bigbrother is everywhere... Google sells info to the people who weaponize it. So well everybody should know it by now. Anyway thanks for the post. it sucks living in a post-addpocalyptic world. Socialmedia zombies everywhere.

I'm glad stupid people can be tracked. Smart ones aren't.

It's the stupid people you need to keep tabs on.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This is what you do:

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

calm down knower of all things.

google tracks you even with no gps enabled or sim card installed.

Android phones gather your location data and send it to Google, even if you’ve turned off location services and don’t have a SIM card, 

before you go and call people stupid... pot/kettle, we've done this...
cell triangulation

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I'd go one further and say your phone must be dead and not just turned off.

All one needs is 3 cell towers within range of a phone to give an accurate location, easily enough to send a tomahawk your way, the Russians assassinated someone via this method in the 90's.

Even one cell tower in range is going to give a decent enough proximity. Then one could deploy more accurate, more invasive and more nefarious methods of tracking you.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
So what?...

Second line.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join