It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People don't know how to vacation anymore!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Clearwater Clearwater has long been a sleeper in this roll call, but the kids will tell you that it has always been popular, rivaling even Daytona and Panama City with its crowds and party action. While the main beach in Clearwater is the center of the action, smart Spring Breakers trickle off to some of the Gulf Coast’s prettier beaches on Honeymoon Island or Fort Desoto, and for a real treat, paddle a kayak out to Caladesi Island and camp, weather permitting.

Florida's best spring break beaches.

It's not remotely hard to find any number of articles talking about college spring break and Clearwater.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

People don't know how to use paragraphs anymore either.
Eh
Haha

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
HAHA, good rant. I live down here, I see these idiots walk out into traffic often.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That is exactly what I am talking about, to have a mental vacation. Fresh air, walks, to refresh the mind and soul! Sound like a beautiful place.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

AugstusMasonicus,

I understand your point, really, I do. However, there is something you may be missing, a variable you may have overlooked. Let me give you an example from my life. I go to a metal festival once a year. Its a big deal for me, because I haven't very much money at all, and I take very little time off during a year. Its my only holiday time save for national holidays.

When I go, and the people around me are engaging with the bands, feeling the mood and moving with it, there is an almost spiritual connection we all share, even if we do not know one another in the slightest. You could be in any crowd, listening to any band, and regardless of whether you know the person next to you or not, there is a bond that is forged through shared experiences. When one is living in the moment, and open to sharing those experiences with people, strangers and close friends alike, the brain secretes certain chemicals, elating the person having the experience, making them joyful to be around people in shared appreciation for the music we love.

But the guy who is live streaming the gig from his tablet, and talking into a lapel mic, telling Facebook all about it, is not sharing the experience with us, the festival attendees, he is sharing it with his followers on Facebook, or his subscribers on YouTube, or Instagram or whatever. He is cutting himself out of the shared experience, the pack, the troop. His... psychological space is not filled with the people around him, but the people inside his little box of electronics.

In the same way, JAGStorm is not overly interested in the activities of others in a selfish manner. Rather, I believe they may be concerned that the people in that eatery were not engaging with the full measure of the pleasure and the unique nature of the experience they could have been having, because they were instead communing with people outside the place and the moment. I meditate often, because I value centering myself in the place I am in, in the moment within which I exist, and I am always mindful of ensuring my awareness of connection to space and time. I am aware that no one moment in my life will ever be precisely repeated, each will be unique, special, have facets that the one previous, the one I am in at the time, and the one which comes after, did, do, or will not have.

For this reason, I tend to avoid using my phone at the dinner table, or at gigs or festivals, or while with friends in convivial enjoyment of a beverage, or a sunset, or a lightning storm, or a snowfall. I do not want to miss the things that make those moments precious. I want to be able to concentrate on hearing the waves against the shore, the beating of my friends hearts, their breath, their words, the subtle sound of fabric on skin, shoes on concrete, gulls in the air, the smell of salt or grass, or forest, of field or of foodstuffs. I want to be alive, not just living. It can be hard to maintain that determination, when everyone around you seems prepared to give up the moment they are living in, for the simulation of shared experience. I guess what I am saying is, that hitting the share button does not mean one is necessarily sharing an experience. It can sometimes mean that one missed out on it entirely.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Ever been to Clearwater beach?
That # used to be off the chain in the 90s when it wasn't spring break.
Had some killer times there

Hey op did you go to the Scientology headquarters?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Clearwater Clearwater has long been a sleeper in this roll call, but the kids will tell you that it has always been popular, rivaling even Daytona and Panama City with its crowds and party action. While the main beach in Clearwater is the center of the action, smart Spring Breakers trickle off to some of the Gulf Coast’s prettier beaches on Honeymoon Island or Fort Desoto, and for a real treat, paddle a kayak out to Caladesi Island and camp, weather permitting.

Florida's best spring break beaches.

It's not remotely hard to find any number of articles talking about college spring break and Clearwater.

It's not remotely hard to find thousands of inaccurate articles on the internet. But you know what they say about the internet.....It's on there so it must be true!!!

As a fellow brother in blue trust me Clearwater is a nothing College Spring Break wise compared to PCB and others. Sure some kids go there but not to the level people are saying here.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just got back from the Gulf of Mexico clearwater area. Spent the last 2 weeks there. Had to remind myself at times to leave the gopro in the car or drybox when on the boat. As much as I wanted nice memories and beautiful photos and videos, I came for the physical visual memories not the digital ones.

But I didn't actually notice what other people were doing. My sons father may have, he's a very intent people watcher where as I could not care less what others around me are doing (for the most part- unless my "spidey" senses tell me I'm in danger)

I sure hope everyone on vacation this spring (or any time) takes at least a few moments to be mindful and aware of the present moment they are in. Without the veil of technology.

-Alee

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The Three Bs...Beach, Book, and Beverage. No tech...beyond an mp3 player loaded with podcasts for the flight. And I get to practice my "Resort Spanish".

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Bull#.
I grew up in st Pete. As a teen I would go to the Clearwater strip all the time. It was always college type kids out there. It was nuts then.

There is a volleyball player named karch karaly that was pretty famous. He was playing volleyball on the beach and he saw my dick. Laughed. True story.

There would be pickup trucks with the beds converted to hot tubs full of chicks flashing their tits to people. Super common

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

People don't know how to vacation anymore

Tell me about it... I supposedly had Monday through Friday "off" this week, but have ended up editing PDF documents, planning agendas and sending out a barrage of emails
However, it has awoken me to the fact that I need to find a new damn job! For that, I am grateful.

And on your point about everyone being consumed with technology, selfies and self-obsession, that's evident everywhere, on vacation, in schools, at the office, everywhere. But on vacation that seems especially contradictory to the point of going on vacation.

Sounds like YOU were present for the experience though! Cheers!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Ever been to Clearwater beach?
That # used to be off the chain in the 90s when it wasn't spring break.
Had some killer times there

Hey op did you go to the Scientology headquarters?

I sure have, I was there two months ago. I go to that area of the Gulf Coast several times a year to fish. I have several family members in the and around the Tampa area including Belleair Beach which is just South of Clearwater. Nice area. And like most places in Florida used to have a healthier Spring Break crowd....

However it is NOTHING like it was in the 90's. Neither is Daytona or Ft. Lauderdale. Matter of fact the Gulf Coast area AKA Panama City Beach has been the Mecca in Florida for the past 10 years...

Clearwater not so much these days.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

HAHA Dude someone needs to do a thread on Scientology. That entire area is like the freakin' twilight zone.

Weirdo foot soldiers stalking people everywhere.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

New Smyrna beach was usually our go to and also Apollo beach, but we wanted to go back to Clearwater since it had been a while. I personally prefer the vibe NSB has but the sand at Clearwater. We stayed a few years back and it was completely relaxing.

Side note on Apollo beach, it is one of the only beaches in florida that you can't metal detect, we visited there at one point and there was a government truck in front of us with visible machine guns. I don't know where on earth it was going but it freaked me out and we didn't go there much after that. I have a suspicion that something is under that beach.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill
I promise you Clearwater is not a hot spot for college kids.

You're outta the loop man, it is and it has been for some time.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: TinySickTears

HAHA Dude someone needs to do a thread on Scientology. That entire area is like the freakin' twilight zone.

Weirdo foot soldiers stalking people everywhere.

I would love to participate in the comment section on that. Not to get too offtopic but since we are talking clearwater.....

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I don't care what other people do or when they do it as long as it's not hurting me. If they want to dick around on their phone who the hell is it any of my business.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I promise you Clearwater is not a hot spot for college kids.

You're outta the loop man, it is and it has been for some time.

By outta of the loop you mean I live in Florida and was in Clearwater in 2018?? What about you? When was the list time you were in Clearwater or Florida For that matter?

What I am telling you about Florida is from my knowledge of living here. Not from articles I pulled up online. What about yours?
edit on 5-4-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I sure have, I was there two months ago.

Two months ago was early February and NOT spring break.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: TrueBrit

I don't care what other people do or when they do it as long as it's not hurting me. If they want to dick around on their phone who the hell is it any of my business.

Well I was plenty pissed when the guy next to me at an Alice Cooper concert taped and posted through the whole damn thing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join