It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People don't know how to vacation anymore!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh yeah, it's insane. It takes 2 hours to get across the bridge to get there. It is fun people watching for sure.

I might hit the beach today if the texters will allow me through.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Oh and just to chime in on Clearwater, I was born there, raised about 2 counties over its a cesspool, and has been a cesspool for decades.

I can think of several locations that will provide better beaches, better prices, and better looking women with the added benefit of not risking a mugging every time the sun sets.

I don’t think anyone here try to deny it was a tourist trap. Just about every city in fl is. Just saying it isn’t a spring break Mecca full of sun and nudity like some imply. It is a vacation town, sure. But not a spring break location like Panama City beach is.

That’s all I’m saying

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Clearwater? Really? Yikes. My grandparents lived in Clearwater for I dunno, 25-30 years and we went there pretty much every summer when I was a kid and I can't imagine that being a spring break destination.

Now growing up in the middle of GA, the destination of choice was PCB (like 5 hours away going through AL vs 9 for the Tampa area). We completely overran it every year. Frankly, as an adult, I wouldn't stand for it if it was my town lol.

PCB during spring break in the early-mid 90's was basically the entire strip shutdown at dusk by kids cruising 10-15 miles an hour with people running up to cars, sitting on cars, sidewalks crowded with drunk teens, underage drinking everywhere. Later in the evening there was lots of fights, hook ups and puking and eventually passing out.

My friends and I went to Daytona one year because my boy won a free hotel for the week on some radio call in contest but it was nothing by comparison.

I just can't imagine Clearwater being a destination for that crowd. Though, the article mentions kayaking and camping which is totally not something we would have done so maybe Clearwater is a major destination for boy scouts on spring break.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You are out of the loop! Spring Break for NY and NJ and some in Chicago starts in February!!!
For most of the midwest it starts in March

AM and I are both in NJ and I have a kid in high school. Spring break (which is basically a long weekend here, it's like 3 days ever since they extended the school year and added all these "teacher in service days" throughout the year) just ended.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Shamrock6

Clearwater? Really? Yikes. My grandparents lived in Clearwater for I dunno, 25-30 years and we went there pretty much every summer when I was a kid and I can't imagine that being a spring break destination.

Now growing up in the middle of GA, the destination of choice was PCB (like 5 hours away going through AL vs 9 for the Tampa area). We completely overran it every year. Frankly, as an adult, I wouldn't stand for it if it was my town lol.

PCB during spring break in the early-mid 90's was basically the entire strip shutdown at dusk by kids cruising 10-15 miles an hour with people running up to cars, sitting on cars, sidewalks crowded with drunk teens, underage drinking everywhere. Later in the evening there was lots of fights, hook ups and puking and eventually passing out.

My friends and I went to Daytona one year because my boy won a free hotel for the week on some radio call in contest but it was nothing by comparison.

I just can't imagine Clearwater being a destination for that crowd. Though, the article mentions kayaking and camping which is totally not something we would have done so maybe Clearwater is a major destination for boy scouts on spring break.

The fact is anti They have no idea what spring break really is. If anyone thinks Clearwater Florida is a spring break hotspot then they basically never went to college. I live in Florida. I have lived in Panama City Beach. I have worked as a police officer during spring break in Panama City Beach.

The people on here commenting about spring break have no idea what they’re talking about. I dare anyone to drive down front Beach Road during the middle of March and make it more than 500 yards in less than an hour. And then you tell me about spring break

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Oh and just to chime in on Clearwater, I was born there, raised about 2 counties over its a cesspool, and has been a cesspool for decades.

I can think of several locations that will provide better beaches, better prices, and better looking women with the added benefit of not risking a mugging every time the sun sets.

Risk a mugging in Clearwater? A cesspool?

You are FOS

It's like Disney Land at the beach.

Should I drive by and snap some pictures for you today?

It is heavily family oriented, and heavily policed. On the streets and on the beach.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Tall cool drinks.
Tall hot babes.

Repeat as often as possible.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Nobody would ever accuse me of agreeing with you often but unless things have changed drastically since my grandparents died and I was last in Clearwater and having experienced PCB spring break as a teen, I can't imagine anything happening in Clearwater remotely like PCB.

They're not even setup the same. PCB works because it's strictly a tourist town with a strip full of cheap motels. There's affordable accommodations for tens of thousands. I don't think Clearwater even has the capacity nor the number of liquor stores required.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

great its heavily policed on the main drag, how many college kids are going to afford the prices of on the beach housing...

Tell you what around midnight (cause even though I am in pasco county right now I wont drive to Clearwater) go 2 or 3 blocks off the beach and tell me how golden and safe it is.

Kind of like vegas on the main drag, or Bourbon street... but get a couple of streets off the main drag and you go from safe to feeling like you need to be carrying.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I have worked as a police officer during spring break in Panama City Beach.

When were you a cop in PCB? If it was around 93-95, you might have encountered me! PCB is the only place where I have ever had a cop pull a gun on me but to be fair, # was crazy.

The night before, some kid got stabbed to death at a motel we were partying at. Also, when I got pulled over high af and looking for an open pizzeria, I had a butterfly knife sitting on the seat next to me which I had just bought at a pawn shop.

After things deescalated, the cops were pretty cool, told me to lock up the knife and let me go on my way.

But yea, PCB was absolutely effing nuts at spring break.

EDIT:

Found an article about that stabbing in an archive:

Police were trying to determine if the stabbing in front of as many as 60 witnesses was murder or self-defense. "We get conflicting stories," said Panama City Beach Police Chief Lee Sullivan. The investigation's results will be turned over to the state attorney's office and may be presented to a grand Jury to determine if charges should be filed. Ronald Davis, 18, of Lawrenceville, Ga., was pronounced dead at Bay Medical Center in Panama ; City. He suffered a single stab ' wound to the chest, Sullivan said. Another Lawrenceville youth, Cary Bailey, whose age was unavailable, was treated and released for a minor stab wound to the abdomen. Michael Lovelady, 17, of Norcross, Ga., remained free Thursday. Davis and Lovelady got into an altercation apparently prompted by one person bumping into another, Sullivan said. Lovelady also had minor injuries, and investigators were trying to determine whether he was attacked before or after the stabbing. Motel security guards detained Lovelady until police arrived. "It looks as though his injuries occurred after the stabbing." Sullivan said.

Cops never questioned us even though we saw the events leading up to it and the immediate aftermath. The kid that did the stabbing was hanging with the younger brother of a female friend of ours, these others kids were tweaking for like 3 days on meth and picking fights with people and throwing bottles and # at them. The Lovelady kid came back and confronted them later and then stabbed three of them.

Then the rest beat him bloody and unconscious. We heard what sounded like dogs fighting, opened the door and they scrambled and left behind this unconscious kid who somehow was still holding the knife. Blood everywhere on the ground, on the railings. It was a mess.

Spring break in PCB was crazy.
edit on 2018-4-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Nobody would ever accuse me of agreeing with you often but unless things have changed drastically since my grandparents died and I was last in Clearwater and having experienced PCB spring break as a teen, I can't imagine anything happening in Clearwater remotely like PCB.

They're not even setup the same. PCB works because it's strictly a tourist town with a strip full of cheap motels. There's affordable accommodations for tens of thousands. I don't think Clearwater even has the capacity nor the number of liquor stores required.

I can remember in the early 2000’s juvenile the rapper playing a concert at club La Vela. This was obviously during spring break in the place was packed. Juvenile decided after playing one song that he wanted more money from club La Vela and refused to continue performing until he got it. Well needless to say the crowd went crazy. A full scale a riot broke out in the club la vela parking lot. this riot included fistfights, stabbings and gunshots.. There was even automatic there was even automatic weapon fire during the ordeal. It was so bad we had to call In all surrounding counties as well as military police from both bases to stop the riot...

Since then there have been since then there have been rapes videotaped on the beach. Officers shot and people murdered. It’s it got so bad and Panama City Beach did they have outlawed alcoholic beverages on the beach during spring break. It was even featured on many MS in it’s it got so bad and Panama City Beach did they have outlawed alcoholic beverages on the beach during spring break. It was even featured on many MSM networks highligting the crime and issues from Spring break.

Can anyone ever tell me anything like that happening in Clearwater?

I apologize a head of time for my errors. Using my phone.
edit on 5-4-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't get it either. Save up all year to take a long trip, wait in crowded lines, fly on crowded planes, sail on crowded ships to hang out on crowded beaches, thousands of miles from home.
Its not just that we aren't happy with our surroundings, its we aren't happy with our lifestyle and ourselves.

Bored of life already? Or frustrated by its pressures and limitations...

I'm so bored and stressed with my life I'll suffer immense boredom and stress to get someplace else I've never been. The whole time I'll pretend this is the best ever...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill
Soooo you’re proven wrong about your dates so you move the goal post.

No, because I initially said 'typically'. Need me to explain that word to you?

edit on 5-4-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

AM and I are both in NJ and I have a kid in high school. Spring break (which is basically a long weekend here, it's like 3 days ever since they extended the school year and added all these "teacher in service days" throughout the year) just ended.

What do I know? I'm poor and stay at the Hilton.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Whole I was relaxing on the sun beds in Spain last year, a group of girls who were next to me, spent hours on their phones. Taking selfies, browsing the net and all sorts of phone related stuff.
I'm not one to judge people. Everyone relaxes anyway they like, wherever they like. I did laugh though that one of the girls said she had to put her phone away because it was basically overheating and melting in her hand.

I like to stay away from technology when I'm on holiday. It's the only time of the year where I have very few distractions.

Each to their own though.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Soooo you’re proven wrong about your dates so you move the goal post.

No, because I initially said 'typically'. Need me to explain that word to you?

I think you have explained enough to make a full out of yourself today. But sure I’m up for a good show so please continue !!!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I might hit the beach today if the texters will allow me through.

Just make sure to follow thisclose behind them.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I'm not the best person to ask 'when have you been X last?' since I travel all over the country weekly.

The Illuminati never rests.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I think you have explained enough to make a full(sic) out of yourself today. But sure I’m up for a good show so please continue !!

Says the guy who thinks spring break in New Jersey is in February.

Got some examples? Still waiting on those.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What do I know? I'm poor and stay at the Hilton.

Apparently not enough to know that New Jersey is only one of the 50 states that take spring break.

However you may be spot on about the poor thing. I have no idea about your financial status. I’ll just have to take your word for it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join